Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • IVA Richards

51 56.67%
  • SR Tendulkar

39 43.33%
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Richards v Tendulkar - ODIs

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    It would be nice if a mod can add Bevan to the poll if it is possible to do it considering Ikki's case.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Like?

Bevan's done stuff Tendulkar can't imagine to...like win a world cup.

By that logic Darren Lehmann is a better ODI player than Brian Lara.

Teams win championships not individuals mate. I am speaking about who was the better individual competitor. And ODIs are not just World Cups alone. I sense it comes from your Australian bias. Hence I don't want to argue it further.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    It would be nice if a mod can add Bevan to the poll if it is possible to do it considering Ikki's case.
    Please add Dhoni too. I think Dhoni is better than Bevan.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Haha, I knew as soon as I saw this thread title that it would have degenerated into Sachin vs. [Insert Australian Player].

Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Pointless comparing them IMO, they were essentially playing different games (for all but the first five years of Tendulkar's career or so, anyway).

Cricket Champion!
    Not Tendulkar's fault he hasn't won a world cup. He was Man of The Series in 2003 and averages superb in World Cups. Again, stupid thing to say.
    I didn't say it was his fault they didn't win. But clearly the team he found himself in were good enough to win it; it was not as if he was born playing for Zimbabwe.

I do know his average is not inflated purely because of not outs but not outs do play a huge role and it puts him in weak stead when compared with Richards and Tendulkar who average 45 plus.
    No it doesn't, especially for ODIs. They play completely different roles so just looking at their overall averages to compare them is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Please add Dhoni too. I think Dhoni is better than Bevan.
    I think Hussey is better than Dhoni and Bevan. But neither come close to the kind of knocks Bevan played, and in a tournament like the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haha, I knew as soon as I saw this thread title that it would have degenerated into Sachin vs. [Insert Australian Player].

Well done.
    Leaving out arguably the greatest ODI player of all time (Bevan) would do that.
    Last edited by Ikki; 25-02-2010 at 12:24 PM.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I didn't say it was his fault they didn't win. But clearly the team he found himself in were good enough to win it; it was not as if he was born playing for Zimbabwe.
    It is a team game FFS. What could Tendulkar do after Australia make 350 in the first inning. Would you back Ponting to win the game for his country if the other team scores 350? Heh.

No it doesn't, especially for ODIs. They play completely different roles so just looking at their overall averages to compare them is flawed.
    Bevan for me when you discount the not outs would range in the average of 40-43 and a rung below Richards and Tendulkar.

Banned
    Oh and btw,

Between Jan 1998 and Dec 2004, Tendulkar scored 7,663 runs @ 50.08, SR of 89.2 from 166 innings

In his entire career, Viv Richards scored 6,721 runs @ 47, SR of 90, from 167 innings.

Also note that Tendulkar's not outs were 16 which is about 9.6% times in this period, while Richards' was 14.4%....

QED.

I think Tendulkar is a fantastic player but I believe Viv is better. As for Bevan, he was a fantastic player as well but not better than Richards or Tendulkar. Cheers.

Richards SR of 90 Tendulkar's SR of 86 (89 in arguably his best period). When you think how different the ODI game is now to 20 years back, you have to give it to Richards Sir Alex. He was a path breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Oh and btw,

Between Jan 1998 and Dec 2004, Tendulkar scored 7,663 runs @ 50.08, SR of 89.2 from 166 innings

In his entire career, Viv Richards scored 6,721 runs @ 47, SR of 90, from 167 innings.

Also note that Tendulkar's not outs were 16 which is about 9.6% times in this period, while Richards' was 14.4%....

QED.
    I would really like to ask, how much of Richards Batting have you actually watched ?

Hey Pratters, can you list out some of the criteria other than Stats (since it is obviously going to be an important factor) ?

Banned
    Richards SR of 90 Tendulkar's SR of 86 (89 in arguably his best period). When you think how different the ODI game is now to 20 years back, you have to give it to Richards Sir Alex. He was a path breaker.
    On the contrary, Richards benefited from having the license to go for it as he had the benefits of a brilliant opening partnership and solid middle order, while Tendulkar was a one man army for most of this period.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    I would really like to ask, how much of Richards Batting have you actually watched ?
    I was unfortunately a toddler when he retired so I cannot comment much on that. But I've caught him in tapes and he is awesome indeed to watch. But I miss your point.

For me the two categories that Tendulkar owns Viv are the longevity and consistency.

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information