• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep, he had some good reasons to.

I remember asking him why, and he didn't like his offside play because his bat was so large.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I don't think Tendulkar can ever be bad to watch (though there probably is someone who doesn't like watching him).

But it is 100% fair for people think the current Sachin isn't 'exciting' (which isn't necessarily 'not good'). He is more of an accumulator nowadays, though he plays some fantastic shots throughout, he doesn't dominate. He just paces it to perfection.

I'd be surprised though if anyone didn't think Sachin was at least a bit exciting in ODIs. Even now he's extremely aggressive.
Preferred the late 90s version. 10x > the current version in terms of excitement.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I wonder what the 90s Sachin would look like in the current Indian mix.

Would he be as amazing, or are India better off with the guy who paces his innings, and have Sehwag as the destroyer?

Sachin is like the Lillee of batting. He has changed himself completely to adjust to injuries and age.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Nah we all have different tastes when it comes to that.
Doesn't change the fact that it's a first for me. And I can't quite see why should he not be exciting to watch to anyone. He has watertight technique, is a tremendous improviser and when he gets going he plays some really astonishing shots (not even going to start giving examples). It's one thing to consider Ponting or Lara or Kallis a better batsmen, completely another to not be able to appreciate Sachin's obvious batting talent.

As far as I am concerned, I find anyone who sores runs exciting to watch, except tailenders that throw their bat madly and hit boundaries of edges.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In general I agree, but they're not saying they don't like watching him.

'Not exciting' and 'boring' are two different things. I don't think Ikki said Tendulkar was boring to watch.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Tendulkar can ever be bad to watch (though there probably is someone who doesn't like watching him).

But it is 100% fair for people think the current Sachin isn't 'exciting' (which isn't necessarily 'not good'). He is more of an accumulator nowadays, though he plays some fantastic shots throughout, he doesn't dominate. He just paces it to perfection.

I'd be surprised though if anyone didn't think Sachin was at least a bit exciting in ODIs. Even now he's extremely aggressive.
That's a first. Seriously a FIRST :-O

I have heard criticisms about not performing under pressure, about not performing against McGrath/Donald, but that he is not exciting to watch seems impossible for anyone who appreciates cricket.

This is clearly a subjective thing..one of the few things that can be subjective.
When Afridi used to open the batting with Saeed Anwar..lot of people used to cheer when Anwar would take a single and get Afridi on strike..but react with dismay when Afridi would not connect too well and it would end in a single that would put Anwar on strike..
Personally I hate watching Afridi bat but lot of people love his batting.

I don't find Sachin 'exciting' these days but I still enjoy watching him bat.. I'll enjoy watching any great batsman/bowler bat/bowl.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Doesn't change the fact that it's a first for me. And I can't quite see why should he not be exciting to watch to anyone. He has watertight technique, is a tremendous improviser and when he gets going he plays some really astonishing shots (not even going to start giving examples). It's one thing to consider Ponting or Lara or Kallis a better batsmen, completely another to not be able to appreciate Sachin's obvious batting talent.

As far as I am concerned, I find anyone who sores runs exciting to watch, except tailenders that throw their bat madly and hit boundaries of edges.
Murali is a gun tailender.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Not really relevant to the 90s vs 00's Tendulkar debate, or maybe it is, but there was something in the papers today that caught my eye. Tendulkar now holds the record for most hundreds reached by hitting a six (6 hundreds). The man who previously held the record was Ken Barrington. The man who's not mentioned in the same breath as Hobbs or Hammond or Hutton, apparently because he was a risk-free accumulator rather than a run scorer. Very interesting.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Haha, I've always found Sehwag close to disturbing to watch and Dravid immensely enjoyable. It's a very personal thing IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I love most, if not all gun batsman. I can't think of a batsman with an average over 50+ I don't like watching.

I think over time Shiv and Katich can get on my nerves, but for the most part I don't mind watching them. That could be because I like them in general though.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Gambhir gets on my nerves a lot these days. Used to love his batting during 07/08, not any more.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't watch Kallis
I love most, if not all gun batsman. I can't think of a batsman with an average over 50+ I don't like watching.

I think over time Shiv and Katich can get on my nerves, but for the most part I don't mind watching them. That could be because I like them in general though.
Love watching Kallis and love watching Shiv..two of my most favourite batsmen in world cricket today, more than Tendulkar, Ponting, Sehwag, (personally preference..don't mean to suggest they are better players)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think Kallis and Shiv are very different players.

Both accumulate, but Kallis has a textbook technique, with a straight elbow. Shiv is crabbish.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't like watching Chanderpaul, Pietersen, Dilshan, Smith or Prince.

Like Kallis in the T20s, not so much in the Tests. :p