• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aavishkar Salvi

masterblaster

International Captain
How do you all rate him? Anyone seen him bowl live before?
Over 80 FC wickets for Mumbai at an average of about 18 on Indian Conditions is very impressive.

Has India finally found the perfect paceman trio in Zaheer/Nehra/Salvi???

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really like to judge any player regardless of their records until they've done it consistently at international level.

Salvi though looks like he'll be a handful for most batsmen.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I have seen him bowl during the Dhaka Series. He has an action just like McGrath and comes very close to the wicket too. Generates good bounce and bowls in the mid 130's . Bowled better against SAF than Ban in that series. But the series of AUS will be a big test for him.

BTW Tim, are Bond and Astle going to tour India? I feel if Bond is not in the team then it will be a easy series victory for India.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it'll be an easy series for India regardless of whether Bond is there or not..you're forgetting that NZ are 3rd on the test table and have played well overseas in recent times.

But you're probably right..if NZ want to at least draw this series they'll need Bond & Astle.
From what i've heard its still 50/50 for both of them..but its looking more likely that they'll make the tour.

masterblaster

International Captain
You cant really say anything, but India will be tough to beat at home. But then again, they will be pretty rusty after a 6 month break from cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
I don't think it'll be an easy series for India regardless of whether Bond is there or not..you're forgetting that NZ are 3rd on the test table and have played well overseas in recent times.
Erm, Australia were looking unstoppable in 2001 until they toured there.

This Indian team is stronger than that IMO through experience and a good team spirit.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ don't appear to me to have the type of bowling that will cause the Indians much trouble. Also, Zaheer and co. are a vastly improving unit.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
i have to say i agree that if bond comes, it will be very hard for the indians. he is a sensational bowler, and unstoppable on his day.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
India did rise sigificantly when Australia toured there much like when NZ plays Australia.

All though im sure that India win, im hopeful NZ could pull off a drawn series IF they have their best players available.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
ah, and just as the topic of Shane Bond arises, cricinfo have posted an article saying that Bond is struggling to make the tests in India..NZ cricket say the Triangular series is a more realistic goal for Shane.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
NZ don't appear to me to have the type of bowling that will cause the Indians much trouble. Also, Zaheer and co. are a vastly improving unit.
So? Doesnt make him a world class bowler.

The only time I have seen Zaheer bowl really well was in New Zealand, and those pitches were assisting seam bowlers, so I wouldnt read to much in to it.

Oh and incase you forgot, did you bother checking the New Zealand-India Test series when India toured, I can assure you, the Indians were troubled by the NZ bowlers, so much Vettori wasnt nedded.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats not a great statement to make Liam..on those dustbowls you need bowlers who can take the pace off the ball & mix it up which is exactly what bowlers like Styris, Harris & Astle do.

And as everyone knows, NZ have been the best at using dibbly dobbler bowlers over the years.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Lets not get into an argument..Liam just needed to back-up his statement thats all.

In some ways he's probably right because if Harris, Astle & co don't work then NZ could be in some trouble.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The news that its now very unlikely that Bond will make the tests is not good for NZ.

While Tuffey looked to be improving in Sri Lanka, his record on flat pitches is not good & whether Cairns will make the test team is still an IF because he's had a mixed bag with the ball so far for Notts.

NZ may need to look at bowlers who are going to be able to bowl a few variations & keep a consistent line & length.
So that probably means Michael Mason, Jacob Oram & someone like Kyle Mills could be in the frame.

V Reddy

International Debutant
But Tim most of the slower bowlers don't bowl well in India. They are useful in the onedayers but not in tests. The teams which have done well in India in recent years with pace bowlers not spinners . Bond would have been dangerous in India with the reverse swing he gets. I also expect the temp to be below 30 degrees for most of the matches which will suit NZ.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I still think it will be a tactic used against India to frustrate them in the tests...NZ have lost alot of strikepower now that Bond won't be there so NZ may look to use bowlers like Astle, Stryis, Oram etc and use field settings to trap the Indian batsmen.