• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pak Players ignored by IPL - this is how democracy works

Sir Alex

Banned
Lol it is such a hard time for Afridians. I am in splits here reading the reactions of his fans who were trying to justify his press statement yesterday and now left red faced!

pasag

RTDAS
afridi has said he will forgive and forget the snub if invited to play in IPL. pakistani players are selling their self respect clamoring for indian money so shamelessly like this. IPL, for them, cannot be anything more than money. why else would they bother about 20-20 games between bangalore and hyderabad and chennai and chandigarh when their own test and one day teams are struggling? their approach is getting sadder with some uneducated cricketers from pak speaking about this issue along communal lines hoping to make themselves look like martyrs. pak in general needs quality education; their cricketers need some patriotism. money can wait.
eh, it's like any job. Also this attitude towards money and a career/profession by some is bizarre.

Last edited:

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
It is so frustrating to hear about all this. I just hope that IPL goes away for good.

Crap tournament, crap organizers and crap participants.
Haha...just admit it that the KKR have no chance this year as well.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Nah, Afridi probably realises that the franchises have no money left from their limit. If he signs up for Deccan, all he'll make now is the 30k they have left. The stingy Royals probably have lots left, but they're not stupid enough to sign him up.

pasag

RTDAS
Nah, Afridi probably realises that the franchises have no money left from their limit. If he signs up for Deccan, all he'll make now is the 30k they have left. The stingy Royals probably have lots left, but they're not stupid enough to sign him up.
Why would it be stupid to sign him?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Why would it be stupid to sign him?
Unpredictable. Total anti-team man. He's been a central character in every anti-captain revolt in Pakistan since Inzamam, and he doesn't have the reputation of being a team man in the IPL either. He questioned Laxman's performances in the first IPL despite himself scoring less than him (?). The negatives far outnumber the positives imo. He's won Pakistan one single title in his entire career, and people are imo letting their judgement be clouded by thinking that makes up for all thats happened in the past 10 years of this mans career.

pasag

RTDAS
Unpredictable. Total anti-team man. He's been a central character in every anti-captain revolt in Pakistan since Inzamam, and he doesn't have the reputation of being a team man in the IPL either. He questioned Laxman's performances in the first IPL despite himself scoring less than him (?). The negatives far outnumber the positives imo. He's won Pakistan one single title in his entire career, and people are imo letting their judgement be clouded by thinking that makes up for all thats happened in the past 10 years of this mans career.
a) He'd do well under Warne
b) Was great for South Australia just now, played very well and didnt cause any issues as far as im aware.
c) Rajasthan need someone like him badly

Yes it's a risk but a risk worth taking.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Wow central character? Sure Afridi has been annoyed to the ground by some of Pakistans previous captains, but who hasn't? In fact he was one of the few senior players who has time and time again came out to support Shoaib Malik, Younis Khan and Mohammad Yosuf despite their lack of leadership. The Laxman altercation is the only incident I can think of that goes against his resume. The only negative thing about Afridis character is giving his wicket away in an attempt to appease his fanbase rather than doing whats in the best interest of the team. He has also rectified that problem now. He is a team player who has time and time again been a cause for unity amongst Pakistani players who want totally the opposite.

Hes only one Pakistan one title during his whole career....???? Really?? and that is something to be embarrassed about??? You want me to start naming some of the All time greats who have yet to win a title? pleaseeee

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Wow central character? Sure Afridi has been annoyed to the ground by some of Pakistans previous captains, but who hasn't? In fact he was one of the few senior players who has time and time again came out to support Shoaib Malik, Younis Khan and Mohammad Yosuf despite their lack of leadership. The Laxman altercation is the only incident I can think of that goes against his resume. The only negative thing about Afridis character is giving his wicket away in an attempt to appease his fanbase rather than doing whats in the best interest of the team. He has also rectified that problem now. He is a team player who has time and time again been a cause for unity amongst Pakistani players who want totally the opposite.

Hes only one Pakistan one title during his whole career....???? Really?? and that is something to be embarrassed about??? You want me to start naming some of the All time greats who have yet to win a title? pleaseeee
Yes, its something to be embarrassed about if you've won one and harmed your team's chances in each and every one of the rest. Some of the all time greats might not have won even one, but thats not necessarily due to failures on their part specifically, and they've certainly not harmed their teams chances in the rest to the extent Afridi has.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Yes, its something to be embarrassed about if you've won one and harmed your team's chances in each and every one of the rest. Some of the all time greats might not have won even one, but thats not necessarily due to failures on their part specifically, and they've certainly not harmed their teams chances in the rest to the extent Afridi has.
I dont recall onetime where he has let the team down with either his fielding or his bowling, that's his PRIMARY role in the team. So no, hes not lost Pakistan games, he just hasn't pulled off spectacular upsets on regular occasions.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
a) He'd do well under Warne
b) Was great for South Australia just now, played very well and didnt cause any issues as far as im aware.
c) Rajasthan need someone like him badly

Yes it's a risk but a risk worth taking.
If it was a risk worth taking, the Royals would have taken that risk. They didn't. Unrelated to Afridi's nature, I don't agree that he'd do well under Warne. Warne was good with Watson and a bunch of unrated players in the first season. He wasn't good without Watson and a bunch of players with a lot more self/over confidence in season 2. its one thing moulding and getting the best out of noobs, it takes a different skillset to manage them when they're all 'grown up' and not as malleable. Warne is a good leader, but not as good as people make him out to be.

AaronK

State Regular
First of all I believe wining and losing is not that important in IPL matches.. they make it sound like and treat it like international matches.. but i am sure if IPL was in a way that every player would have represented their team instead of this franchise crap.. these players would play out of their skin to register win for their respected teams..

second, I don't think Laxman deserved to captain any team.. let alone a 20/20.. Deccon's failure was because of Laxman.. his field seting and the way he used his bowlers.. it was just attrocious.. Afridi despite having a decent tournment with ball, he wasn't given chance to bowle his full quota in most matches.. despite that he took 9 wickets with average of 25 which is a very decent average.. considering that he wasn't fairly treated by the captain.. he did play important innings.one of them was when he opend the innings with gilly and made 30 odd and the other one was when he made 20 in like 6 balls..

third, IPL and other 20/20 franchises are hurting cricket.. i hope he never takes part in it..I was going to watch IPL this year just because of Afridi.. Hope he doesn't play..at least i won't feel guilty now..

G.I.Joe

International Coach
First of all I believe wining and losing is not that important in IPL matches.. they make it sound like and treat it like international matches.. but i am sure if IPL was in a way that every player would have represented their team instead of this franchise crap.. these players would play out of their skin to register win for their respected teams..
You believe wrong. Name the teams in the Pakistani FC competition again? I'd like to know when HBL, PIA, KRL, NBP, ZTBL etc etc became states in Pakistan.

second, I don't think Laxman deserved to captain any team.. let alone a 20/20.. Deccon's failure was because of Laxman.. his field seting and the way he used his bowlers.. it was just attrocious.. Afridi despite having a decent tournment with ball, he wasn't given chance to bowle his full quota in most matches.. despite that he took 9 wickets with average of 25 which is a very decent average.. considering that he wasn't fairly treated by the captain.. he did play important innings.one of them was when he opend the innings with gilly and made 30 odd and the other one was when he made 20 in like 6 balls..
That Laxman is a poor captain isn't new news. No one's claiming he did well. However you don't openly criticize your captain in that fashion, especially when you yourself weren't a success. He was paid to play a particular role in the team, and thats what he should have stuck to doing, instead of coming up with excuses. Afridi had his fair share of chances, he didn't utilize them to the best of his ability. Whats the big deal with a 30 odd? Laxman had a 30 odd opening too. Puts it in perspective.

third, IPL and other 20/20 franchises are hurting cricket.. i hope he never takes part in it..I was going to watch IPL this year just because of Afridi.. Hope he doesn't play..at least i won't feel guilty now..
I sure know the Chargers didn't miss him last year.