• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst tactical decision ever

Sir Alex

Banned
In the last decade

1. Ponting's over rate fiasco in Nagpur where he stupidly cost his team a golden chance to square the series and retain the BG trophy.
2. Greg chappel's decision to convert Irfan pathan into a batting allrounder and demotion of Tendulkar to No.4 in ODIs
3. England's decision to give Kevin pietersen captaincy. He is/was a brilliant batsman but never possessed the maturity to captain.
4. PCB's random blunders. (It's a list too long to put here)
5. The WI 2007 WC itinerary. it was atleast a 20 days too long.
6. ECB's decision to enter into contract with Stanford to counter the IPL.
7. Nagpur cricket ground preparing a green wicket wicket as a result of petty politicking within BCCI which cost them the BG trophy and letting Australia win the Final Frontier in India.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Inzi forfeiting a Test
Actually, in terms of the effect it had on the outcome of the game, I think you might have it. Pakistan lead by over 300 on first innings and still contrived to lose the test. Makes Punter look like the bastard child of Douglas Jardine and Sun Tzu by comparison.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
With all due respect to posters, those who mentioned Ponting @ Nagpur 08 head bore & are totally overlooking the FACT that Ponting was forced to bowl those part-timers.
Really? He was? He would have bowled the same bowlers had over rates not been an issue?

Then it's still the worst captaincy decision of all time. At least of any that have happened since I started watching cricket.

Really? He was? He would have bowled the same bowlers had over rates not been an issue?

Then it's still the worst captaincy decision of all time. At least of any that have happened since I started watching cricket.
Even worse than Atherton deciding to load his pockets up with dirt so he could tamper with the ball during a game. One captain was abiding by the laws of the game and the other was cheating.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Even worse than Atherton deciding to load his pockets up with dirt so he could tamper with the ball during a game. One captain was abiding by the laws of the game and the other was cheating.
If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying. One was trying to win and got caught, the other seemed not to care. In terms of those characteristics, I'd want the former on my team.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And think about it tactically, which is what the question asks.

If you tamper the ball and get caught, you get....a five run penalty. Wow, yea, that hurts.

On the other hand, if you tamper the ball and you don't get caught - you can run through a side. Hell, you can tamper the ball and run through a side and then get caught - I'll take that five run tradeoff every time. It'd be hilarious to get docked five runs for tampering, get another ball, and get caught tampering again :p.

On the other hand, bowling part timers in that situation, costs you the whole damn series. They could have gone 1-1 and instead had to suffer a 2-0 loss.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
and at the end of the day Ponting will be a great and Atherton will just be a cheat.
Yes, the reason Ponting is a great and Atherton won't be remembered as one is because Atherton cheated and Ponting lost 2-0 in India. Nothing to do with their respective batting abilities. Makes sense.

And think about it tactically, which is what the question asks.

If you tamper the ball and get caught, you get....a five run penalty. Wow, yea, that hurts.

On the other hand, if you tamper the ball and you don't get caught - you can run through a side. Hell, you can tamper the ball and run through a side and then get caught - I'll take that five run tradeoff every time. It'd be hilarious to get docked five runs for tampering, get another ball, and get caught tampering again :p.

On the other hand, bowling part timers in that situation, costs you the whole damn series. They could have gone 1-1 and instead had to suffer a 2-0 loss.
Atherton only get a five run penalty did he? he didnt get reported and suspended for cheating.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Who cares about the next game? Win this one first. Get the 12th man to come in and tamper the ball if you're that worried. Take one for the team. Captain might eventually get suspended, but that's after crappy long term at cheating - surely you'll learn how not to get caught. Plus, I'm sure the fill in captain can figure out how to stuff his pockets with dirt pretty easily :p.

Last edited:
Yes, the reason Ponting is a great and Atherton won't be remembered as one is because Atherton cheated and Ponting lost 2-0 in India. Nothing to do with their respective batting abilities. Makes sense.
Ponting is a great for winning the most test matches as a captain.

Thats what is really eating you isnt it, Ponting is the most successful captain ever in the history of the game and you hate that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ponting is a great for winning the most test matches as a captain.
You just contradicted yourself. It's got nothing to do with the fact that he put on part timers on then, is it? You can be a great captain and a great player and still make bad decisions. The decision in India was the worst I've seen. That does not imply anything about the rest of his decisions - they could be brilliant, and he could be Bradman of both batting and captaincy. That one decision was still the worst I've ever seen. One has nothing to do with the other.

Thats what is really eating you isnt it, Ponting is the most successful captain ever in the history of the game and you hate that.
Actually, for a long time, you should have seen my most wins = best captain theory. :p And I rated Ponting the best captain in history. The India episode put an end to that theory. You can check my post history if you don't believe me.

Last edited:
Who cares about the next game? Win this one first. Get the 12th man to come in and tamper the ball if you're that worried. Take one for the team. Captain might eventually get suspended, but that's after crappy long term at cheating - surely you'll learn how not to get caught. Plus, I'm sure the fill in captain can figure out how to stuff his pockets with dirt pretty easily :p.
Ponting dosent need to cheat like atherton, Athers captained England 54 times and won less tests matches than Ponting has won in the last couple of years without McWarne.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ponting dosent need to cheat like atherton, Athers captained England 54 times and won less tests matches than Ponting has won in the last couple of years without McWarne.
What is your point? Please point out where I claimed that Atherton was either A) a better player, or B) a better captain?

You are arguing against a point no one made. We are discussing individual decisions, not them as players.

Last edited: