View Poll Results: Why are there so many averaging 50 now?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blame the pitches

16 37.21%
  • Blame technology (better bats, trainging for batsman)

5 11.63%
  • Natural cycle of cricket, bowlers will rise again

7 16.28%
  • Watson is a *****

15 34.88%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When 50= Greatness

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I think I have made the joke option too tempting
    Its funny because its true

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Impossible to know IMO. Sehwag bats how he does because it's so successful; his job isn't to bat in such a way as to succeed in every era; just this one. If it wasn't as successful he'd have made changes to it but there's no need.
    Thats a presumption. Its not like he hasn't had the oppurtunity to make adjustment to his technique in this era after failures. Since his retun in Adelaide 08 after being dropped due to those failures - no adjustments have been made.

Banned
    Here we go again. aussie why you have to convert every thread into Sehwag bashing?

Ha na i'm just backing up Subshakerz, he bashes Sehwag as much as i do..

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Thats a presumption. Its not like he hasn't had the oppurtunity to make adjustment to his technique in this era after failures.
    Haha why would he though? There's no incentive. Anyway, last post on this matter; not going to let this turn into another ****ing Sehwag+aussie thread.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha why would he though? There's no incentive. Anyway, last post on this matter; not going to let this turn into another ****ing Sehwag+aussie thread.
    My last point on this as well here, before i go back to my other sehwag bashing thread

As you should remember Hayden had to make adjustments in his technique againts the pace after his Ashes 05 failures from "bully mode" or else his career would have been finished.

IND dont have much quality depth in opening like AUS, so after they dropped Sehwag for the entire 2007 there wasn't a any other opener in IND who could have kept him out forever.

State Vice-Captain
    Few reasons for the 50+ averages that are so common:

- Flat pitches obviously

- The lack of quality bowlers, particularly pace bowlers, and the breakdown of the few remaining quality ones due to packed schedules

- The introduction of Bangladesh giving two minnow options whereas in the 90s there was only Zimbabwe and before that there were none

Banned

IND dont have much quality depth in opening like AUS, so after they dropped Sehwag for the entire 2007 there wasn't a any other opener in IND who could have kept him out forever.
    This is just inviting reactions from Indian posters. Surely we don't need to "convert" an allrounder into opening for us unlike Australia had to. Also you might not have heard about Murali Vijay, Abhinav Mukund etc.
    Last edited by Sir Alex; 29-12-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    This is just inviting reactions from Indian posters. Surely we don't need to "convert" an allrounder into opening for us unlike Australia had to.
    . Yes this is just one time & its not as if AUS dont have proper test match openers to chose from ATM, blokes like Hughes, Jaques & Rogers are available. Watson opening is just a choice the selectors have chosen to make. Many people still reckon like myself prefer him in middle-roder.

AUS traditionally & more specifically during the glory years just gone, always pick coventional openers who would have to earn their place via solid FC runs. Langer being the only exception to this.

Also you might not have heard about Murali Vijay, Abhinav Mukund etc.
    I know all about Vijay. But where was he in 2007 when Sehwag was dropped? IND opened with Jaffer & Kartik in 2007 during the ENG tour.

Dont know about the other cat, but checking his profile now. It says he debuted in 2007/08 that was just before the AUS tour where Sehwag was selected. Obviously he wasn't ready for test cricket in 07..

Banned
    Who cares about back in 2007? At present India has better openers stock than Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    - The introduction of Bangladesh giving two minnow options whereas in the 90s there was only Zimbabwe and before that there were none
    SL were minnows in 80s. NZ was until 1950s. India and Pakistan in 1950s. SAF in 1890-1910 period.

So there were plenty of minnows, and batsmen of yesteryear feasted on them as well. Not correct only to point fingers at current players.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Add Windies in 1930s as well.

Who cares about back in 2007?
    Are you not following?. I am saying in 2007 the year Sehwag was dropped. IND didn't have any quality back-up opener to replace him since Jaffer's partners where Karthik in ENG & SA & Dravid in AUS.

At present India has better openers stock than Australia.
    . So Vijay & this Mankud fellow are better back-ups than Hughes, Jaques & Rogers. Yo son dont let nobody hear you..

Banned
    Are you not following?. I am saying in 2007 the year Sehwag was dropped. IND didn't have any quality back-up opener to replace him since Jaffer's partners where Karthik in ENG & SA & Dravid in AUS.

. So Vijay & this Mankud fellow are better back-ups than Hughes, Jaques & Rogers. Yo son dont let nobody hear you..
    Well they are better than Watson anyway.. That's all that matters

Quote Originally Posted by subshakerz View Post
    Few reasons for the 50+ averages that are so common:

- Flat pitches obviously

- The lack of quality bowlers, particularly pace bowlers, and the breakdown of the few remaining quality ones due to packed schedules

Packed schedules is an over rated excuse. Just go through the records of many old timers. The number of FC games they played puts the present lot to shame. If the present players can't cope despite better training/conditioning/travel/accomodation facilities, they're the ones to blame themselves.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information