• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Watson runout - the forensic examination

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah but if that's the case with Watto/Katto, how about an actual call or at least an arm in the air to help Watto out? Don't think 'trust your partner implicitely' works when the striker starts wandering down the pitch too.
Yeah, Katich was probably more at fault than Watson, but for that reason rather than it being Watson's call.

And archie, if the batsman is watching the ball and knows where it is, he knows how hard he's hit it, he's got the best view of the angle at which the ball is going at and has the best idea of whether or not there is a run available.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Katich was probably more at fault than Watson, but for that reason rather than it being Watson's call.
Yeah fair point. I'll admit I've generally gone for the 'behind square/in front of square' regime. It's simpler when I'm batting because I and guys I've played with in the last few years aren't in control of the stick enough to know for sure how hard they've hit it, angles and whatnot. :D Usually goes "I hit a gap...... **** I HIT A GAP. RUNNNNN!!!!"

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach

And archie, if the batsman is watching the ball and knows where it is, he knows how hard he's hit it, he's got the best view of the angle at which the ball is going at and has the best idea of whether or not there is a run available.
True, but he can also be caught ball watching, which wastes time. Anyone who bats with me (unless they are hopeless, in which case I call everything) calls the in front/behind square and it has been that way for 35 years:-O

Listening to the radio, Roebuck agreed with me and "Henry" with yourself, so it is not black and white like it was when I was a lad, but then again if you called anything other than "Waiting" and "yes" you were given a lecture from your senior batting partner:ph34r:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

That's true, but doesn't the non-striker have a better view initially when it has gone behind the batsman (if it's going to be a split-second decision on the run)? I agree that ultimately the striker is in a better position to judge the run, and can send the other guy back. But if it's going to be a quick single then the decision has to be made quickly. I think Katich starting off down the wicket was the main problem, but there may have been a bit of Under 10's "lets just say nothing and look at the other batsman" going on too.

Regardless, I was in the camp that thought it was hilarious! :happy:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The "behind-the-batsman" and front-of-the-batsman" theory works not as a principle cast in stone as is presumed in post-mortems of bad run outs but as a common sense explanation of which batsman is in a better position to judge which call based on where he is supposed to be looking. The striker is always going to be looking at where he has hit the ball, intentionally, thus edges that tend to go behind him are not great for him to judge. Similarly the non-striker is supposed to be looking at the striker so he is in the best position for these edges and in no position for those that go closer to the line of the bowling crease.

Anything in between is good for both. Its not as if the batsmen have time to decide exactly in that split second as to whose call it is. Its just spontaneous and happens. Clear and early calling is the key.

In this case the problem was not whose call was it but the confident manner in which Katich started off. It looks as if the run was so obvious to him that even a call was not considered essential. That is what cooked Watson's goose. That and his great speed between the wickets for which most times he would be lauded. No reason why this should be different :)

Midwinter

State Captain
If Watson "responded" to Katich's appearing to start running then why didn't he "respond" when Katich turned back ?