Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 23 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* Sri Lanka in India

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    4 years later and Dileep has had to write another article on the same issue!

Dead pitches killing Tests in India | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com
    Couldn't agree with him more. These pitches disgust me. Why should I care about this crap?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Pitches like these are killing test matches tbh, though the pitch was looking to deteriorate and help the spin bowlers in the last few days of the match it was a shame to see that the match couldn't end with a result.

Sachin scored a very gutsy century but other than that the last day of the test match was plain dead boring. Laxman's innings was a fine example of this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    If the curators prepare a result pitch, they are reported to be bad pitches to the ICC by the match referee. Then ICC comes out and reprimands the concerned people. How can we then expect the curators to prepare pitches as they should be prepared if the curators are punished for preparing a good pitch? Serves the morons in the ICC right for what they did.

Personally I enjoy seeing raging turners myself. Its quite funny sometimes to see the supposedly world's best batsmen hop all around the pitch having no clue of how to play Kumble and other sub-continental spinners.

Quote Originally Posted by George.Hinton View Post
    He became only the second Indian captain to win a test series in the New Zealand
    - first Indian skipper to ever win a odi series in new zealand
    - hammered sri lanka 4-1 in a odi series at home
    - became only the second indian skipper to win a odi series in the Caribbean
    - won a odi tournament in Sri lanka

Against that:
    - lost a home series to the Aussies - where really had his team kept their nerve - should have won it. They certainly had their opportunities to do so.
    - first round eliminations in the 20-20 wc and the champions trophy (where India were missing three front line players and really went out on the back of one loss)

Hardly a "horrible" year.
    Hope your joking

Beating an injury-decimated NZ hardly makes up for being humiliated at 2 major tournaments, being beaten by a B team, seeing your mostpromising player go backwards and fielding an attack with less teeth than a gummy bear

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Hope your joking

Beating an injury-decimated NZ hardly makes up for being humiliated at 2 major tournaments, being beaten by a B team, seeing your mostpromising player go backwards and fielding an attack with less teeth than a gummy bear
    India were also having injuries. Zaheer, Sehwag and Yuvraj and hence the early outser from CT. Also the Aus-Ind series was much closer than the final scoreline said, most India could have won atleast 2 of them.

Remarkable statistic, and underlines how effective a player Rahul Dravid is: Only one of Dravid’s 27 centuries was made in a game India lost

International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    If the pitches in India are like these.. even an average player can score over 10000 runs in test cricket
    "When they had a plan for Cooky, I was telling him what they will do."

Moeen Ali helps England out by translating what Pakistan's players say in Urdu and Punjabi on the field.

Cricket Champion!

Dead pitches killing Tests in India | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com
    So wfdc_ben was right.

★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    that never stopped people from rating Lillie or Ambrose.
    Or Pietersen for that matter, despite having similar average in SC to what MJ has away from SC
    Supporting players: Dinesh Chandimal, Roshen Silva, Kusal Janith, Nuwan Pradeep, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dhananjaya, Dhananjaya de Silva

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    lol... I am sure the BCCI and Kumble would have wanted THIS track against RSA and THAT track against SL...
    And would have been curtains for India in that case, as the way Welagedara and Prasad bowled. And Mathews would have been very much effective as well. Generally SL seamers easily outdid their Indian counterparts.

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    Zaheer and Ishant are easily better than Welagedara and Prasad. A greentop would have ended the game very quickly - in India's favor. You also have to consider that India's batsmen are far better on greentops than FTBs like Jayawardene and Samaraweera.
    Last edited by Avada Kedavra; 21-11-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Cricket Champion!
    Precambrian?

A fascinating article and one which raises some very interesting points.

When Sri Lanka last toured, the game went to the last morning. There was a superb century from VVS Laxman, and wickets for both pace bowlers and spinners. Mystifyingly though, Clive Lloyd, the ICC's match referee, complained about the surface to his bosses, reinforcing the view that there's a deep-rooted prejudice against spin-friendly pitches.
    Absolutely abhorrent decision, looking purely at the scorecards. Moreover, I really doubt that the spin friendly nature posed any physical threat to the batsmen. It is very strange that a country should be lambasted by the match referee for preparing a result surface that goes to the final morning.

The ICC, though, can only issue guidelines. It's the home board that's responsible for pitch preparation. The BCCI has a television deal that's on the basis of days of coverage. The broadcaster doesn't shell out for a certain number of series, it pays for a fixed number of days. Three-day finishes like the one in Mumbai in 2004, or the Kanpur game last year, are terrific entertainment for fans but not good news for the TV companies. To ensure that they don't frown, the paying public has to put up with snore draws.
    Surely the BCCI can look at the long term and see that Test viewing figures will decrease if games continue to be so dull and full of runs. Therefore, in order to make more revenue in the long term, you need to prepare more result orientated pitches.

Comments about declining Test-match crowds in India often ignore reality. People talk of the good old days when thousands turned up to watch drab draws all across the country. The England series of 1981-82 was especially devoid of excitement. But back then, entertainment options were few and far between. Most towns didn't even have access to television. You took what you got.

Now, with cable TV bringing every kind of international sport into your living room, why would you stomach mediocrity? When different kinds of entertainment are on offer, why drag yourself to a stadium to watch eight wickets fall in three days, and not one of them to an especially good delivery?
    An excellent point, well made. Test cricket needs to raise its game, or viewers will start to turn away in their thousands. It is simply unacceptable that Test cricket has its name tarnished by such terrible matches as this.
    Last edited by Manee; 21-11-2009 at 03:35 AM.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    Zaheer and Ishant are easily better than Welagedara and Prasad.
    It is hard to say. Ishant is out of form and needs wickets to boost his confidence. Balls such as the one that dismissed Paranavitana as well as the numerous swinging yorkers showed that Ishant has not totally lost it, in Test cricket. However, in their current state, I'd much rather Prasad in my team. He offers pace and I think he could be a truly serious bowler on a surface which offers some speed and bounce. He reminds me of Pete Siddle - his erratic length can result in him leaking runs but the line is always very aggressive, around and just outside the off stump. On a quick pitch or in bowler friendly conditions, as it does for Siddle, the erratic length problem may be negated somewhat (as the short ball becomes more deadly and the full ball possibly swings more) and he could really run through teams.

Zaheer most certainly is better than Welegedara, imo. Zaheer possesses a cannyness that only comes with years of cricket in the domestic and international circuit and his control of swing and the short length is unrivalled (though I'd like to see more yorkers and less bouncers from him).

However, Welegedara's bowling fascinates me. His style is one which sees the whole body push the ball outside the off stump, with the natural wrist response causing the ball to swing in to the right hander (sort of like a left handed Hoggard). With such a style, he can and has found the most dangerous inswing which can topple some top batsmen. However, I think such a style could result in him being a one-trick pony, as I really do not think he could have an effective away swinger with such a style, as cricinfo picked up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    While the incoming delivery had succeeded against Sehwag and Tendulkar, Welegedara used it too frequently against Dravid, who clipped the ball effortlessly off his pads. Dravid took 44 runs off 40 deliveries from Welegedara and was beaten only once, when the fast bowler angled one across.
    Moreover, his pace can drop quite significantly over the course of a day, I have seen him clock 140kph on occasions, but he spends a lot of time at 125kph, especially after a few long spells and this resulted in him looking quite toothless. His stamina did seem poor and it could harm him, in the long term. He seemed generally quicker during his debut Test against England, and although I could be wrong, I think that this could be the reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    The glitch for this tall and broad-shouldered bowler was his habit of running on the pitch, which annoyed selectors and prompted a visit to the MRF Pace Academy in Chennai, where Dennis Lillee and TA Sekar fine-tuned his action.
    Far be it from me to criticise the work of Sekhar and Lillee, but they may have just taken a yard or two of pace away from Welegadara, perhaps with good reason, but again, it may harm him in the long term.

Page 23 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread Information