• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest One Day Upsets

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
South Africa's Story...
South Africa's semi-final against England ended in controversial circumstances when, after a rain delay, the rule in use for revising target scores in rain-affected matches revised their target from 22 runs from 13 balls to an impossible 21 runs from one ball. This rule was replaced for One-day International matches in Australia after the World Cup, and it was eventually superseded by the Duckworth-Lewis method for the 1999 World Cup onwards. The revised D/L target for the match would have been four runs to tie or five to win from the final ball.
But wouldn't England's final total have been revised further upwards because of the 5 overs lost due to the SA time wasting tactics?

AaronK

State Regular
Recent once i remember

Ireland defeating Pakistan in 07 world cup

Bangladish defeating India in 07 world cup..

a world cup without indian and Pakistan.. two of the most exciting teams.. killed the whole world cup for me..

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Recent once i remember

a world cup without indian and Pakistan.. two of the most exciting teams.. killed the whole world cup for me..
Yeah, tragic.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Recent once i remember

abit of a contradiction there, the reason people get excited is because you don't know what teams going to turn up... hence Ireland and Bangladesh winning.. because this 07 format didn't allow room for teams to make up for one ill game. you pretty much got what you expected "excitement" hoping like hell this minor team wasn't going to pull off a miracle ... sounds pretty exciting to me....

AaronK

State Regular
abit of a contradiction there, the reason people get excited is because you don't know what teams going to turn up... hence Ireland and Bangladesh winning.. because this 07 format didn't allow room for teams to make up for one ill game. you pretty much got what you expected "excitement" hoping like hell this minor team wasn't going to pull off a miracle ... sounds pretty exciting to me....

ya but u r talking about sacraficing the whole world cup just for two matches.. if u look at that world cup most of the matches were one sided matches.. not only it was because these two weak teams were in the super 8 rounds but also presense of such teams like India and Pakistan could have challanged teams like Aus, SL, NZ and SA more considering that they were dominating the whole world cup..

Furball

Evil Scotsman
ya but u r talking about sacraficing the whole world cup just for two matches.. if u look at that world cup most of the matches were one sided matches.. not only it was because these two weak teams were in the super 8 rounds but also presense of such teams like India and Pakistan could have challanged teams like Aus, SL, NZ and SA more considering that they were dominating the whole world cup..
India and Pakistan shouldn't have lost to minnows then, should they?

AaronK

State Regular
^ ya and i agree

they shouldn't have lost.. that is why i am saying it was the greatest upset for me as it ruined the world cup for me..

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
Definitely Pak v. Ireland in '07. What a depressing WC that was. Add to that Woolmer's death and all the speculation and I almost gave up on following cricket.