• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India shot down Test championship

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was just about to post this. A shame in many ways but I'd bet that India weren't the only board against it...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
We know for a fact England were against it as well. That's because England and India have the biggest TV revenues and were not keen on sharing it. Australia was for the championship (they proposed it).

It's sad but couldn't they work something out without having to share the revenue? The concept is so much superior than the current FTP.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't see why TV revenue would have to be shared. Surely the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers are a good example of this; it's all technically one competition but each board sells the rights individually.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see why TV revenue would have to be shared. Surely the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers are a good example of this; it's all technically one competition but each board sells the rights individually.
Yeah, seems a strange deal-breaker.

That said, I'm not really a fan of the Test Championship idea. Would eventually just devalue any matches that aren't "championship games" IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
More info:

Hopes for Test world championship fade | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

Yeah, seems a strange deal-breaker.

That said, I'm not really a fan of the Test Championship idea. Would eventually just devalue any matches that aren't "championship games" IMO.
Good - there shouldn't be any matches that aren't championship games. Test cricket needs something like this, where even "dead" series has something bigger to play for.

Craig

World Traveller
How would we fit in with T20 World Cup, IPL, Champions Trophey etc.? I know Manan you don't give T20 the time of day, but it isn't going away.

Uppercut

How would we fit in with T20 World Cup, IPL, Champions Trophey etc.? I know Manan you don't give T20 the time of day, but it isn't going away.
I think it's ODIs he doesn't give the time of day. Maybe both.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You don't have to play more matches necessarily. Just that the matches you play would be for something. But it might be that you play more matches, in which case, there is always those 7 ODI crazy-fests that you can remove.

And I don't have any time of day for T20 or ODI.

Polo23

International Debutant
Hardly surprising. Less time for the IPL if this test championship goes ahead.

The BCCI has put their foot down, and the ICC will bend over and take it. Oh well, when real cricket dies we'll know who to blame.

irfan

State Captain
I don't understand? Why they can't put together a test championship, collect all the funds and redistribute according in proportion to however much each board makes (i.e. Ind 60 %Eng 20% Aus 10% SAF 5% Rest 5% etc.)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't understand? Why they can't put together a test championship, collect all the funds and redistribute according in proportion to however much each board makes (i.e. Ind 60 %Eng 20% Aus 10% SAF 5% Rest 5% etc.)
Because they'd have to make room and play sides more than they do - sides that aren't as lucrative.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if i would have liked the idea if it had come to pass. But the way it was shot down, is another big reasons why ICC needs to become an independent governing body, free from board influences.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
How would it have fitted in the current playing season? We have too much cricket as it is(IPL) . Which format games would have to be reduced? ODI? T20? Tests?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dont see why they should not split the sides into two halves. India, England, Australia and South Africa in one and they play longer series against each other and shorter ones against the other four viz Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nzland and Windies. The second four also play against themselves of course.

The TV rights can be split on one of many different criteria but basically no team should be asked to give up far too much more (in proportion to what they earn for the pool) and the fact that the bigger teams play fewer matches against the smaller ones will automatically reduce some of the complaints about having to accommodate the smaller teams.

The idea proposed by ICC is not a bad one at all. FTP is not going to work anymore. Its in everyone's interest to come down to the table with an attitude that we ALL need this to work out. Anyone holding on for just their own interests will eventually lose out too if the game suffers. India and England can not do this by themselves. And rebel players from the other sides, if they do take on their boards and start something in competition to allow them to participate in defiance of their boards will lose out in the long run since India (and even England) will squeeze the players groups even harder than they are doing the ICC.

Uppercut

I dont see why they should not split the sides into two halves. India, England, Australia and South Africa in one and they play longer series against each other and shorter ones against the other four viz Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nzland and Windies. The second four also play against themselves of course.
Maybe because Sri Lanka are far better than England.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Maybe because Sri Lanka are far better than England.
He broke it down in terms of monetary status, not quality. The big four are Ind/Aus/Eng/SA. They will continue to play each other more frequently than the "lesser" halves.