• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali to retire from Test Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whoa. Huge news. I guess it had to come pretty soon though; 37 isn't that especially young, especially when you've been doing it since 1992.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, no-one can go on forever. Murali's done incredibly to play for as long as he has.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Whoa. Huge news. I guess it had to come pretty soon though; 37 isn't that especially young, especially when you've been doing it since 1992.
He's played both formats throughout as well. Murali will be missed.

jondavluc

State Regular
legend of the game love watching him play especially with the bat ;).Love you Murali

Last edited:

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
First player ever to announce he'll retire in 15 months' time?

I think so.
To be fair, he did first and foremost announce his Test retirement, which is only next year.

Such a pity he couldn't play more Tests in England.

Legend, and a thoroughly nice bloke.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
November 2010 = 15 months away from July/August 2009

EDIT: 14000 posts up.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
That rules out the 1000 wickets then. Of course it was always a very long shot given his injuries and the relatively few tests that Sri Lanka plays. Obviously a legend of the game and IMO the greatest bowler the game has seen.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
The greatest spinner ever, IMO. With the last of the big four to retire (Warne, MacGill, Kumble, Murali), spin fans will soon realize how spoiled they've been since the 90s. Let's hope Mendis unveils some new magic...

bagapath

International Captain
The greatest spinner ever, IMO. With the last of the big four to retire (Warne, MacGill, Kumble, Murali), spin fans will soon realize how spoiled they've been since the 90s. Let's hope Mendis unveils some new magic...
yup. i will be very surprised if murali's test record is broken in my life time (i am hoping not to be run over by truck next month). even with so many tests being played around the globe these days, 800+ wickets is bloody difficult to beat. someone will have to play 130 tests and average 6.5 wkt/test. it is beyond human limits in my opinion.

Dissector

International Debutant
I wonder if any of Murali's three major test records will ever be broken. There is the total wickets, five-wicket hauls and ten-wicket hauls. All of them will be immensely hard to break especially given the uncertain future of test cricket.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if any of Murali's three major test records will ever be broken. There is the total wickets, five-wicket hauls and ten-wicket hauls. All of them will be immensely hard to break especially given the uncertain future of test cricket.
Won't happen for a very very long time. Will have to be a spinner of the highest class - to bowl long spells and get lots of wickets - and will probably have to be in a team like Murali's that will rely on said bowler quite a bit to take wickets.

That, or some freak of a fast bowler turning up.

Status
Not open for further replies.