• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in England Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Kallis is out of the first Test at least. Even manger Gerald de Kock doesnt know.

I dont rate Flintoff in the Test arena. His negative tatic of going around the wicket and banging in the ball in to the batsmen and a poor bowling average of 47. Sorry he doesnt cut the mustard.

Jones has a FC bowling average of 37, and apart from pace, he doesnt have anything that convinces me he is Test class.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Craig said:
Kallis is out of the first Test at least. Even manger Gerald de Kock doesnt know.

I dont rate Flintoff in the Test arena. His negative tatic of going around the wicket and banging in the ball in to the batsmen and a poor bowling average of 47. Sorry he doesnt cut the mustard.

Jones has a FC bowling average of 37, and apart from pace, he doesnt have anything that convinces me he is Test class.
How much of Jones have you seen? The 7 overs he bowled in the Ashes??

Flintoff doesn't bowl around the wicket as a rule of thumb - he is a very good bowler and hopefully will show that much this summer.

Neil beat me to the (perhaps) surprising tip of Hussain for top scorer - I think he's been in great form and the break from one day cricket will have refreshed him.

Andre

International Regular
Best batsman: Mark Butcher

Worst batsman: Graeme Smith

Best Bowler: Shaun Pollock

Worst Bowler: Robin Peterson, if he plays. If not, Paul Adams.

Suprise packet: Dewald Pretorius.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Best batsman : Nasser Hussain (especially if he gives up the captaincy)

Worst batsman : Herschelle Gibbs

Best bowler : Shaun Pollock

Worst bowler : Ashley Giles or Monde Zondeki

Surprise packet : Steve Harmison (surprise if he plays more than once)

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
although gibbs has been in bad form, i feel he will be rejuvenated and pumped for this series. i have a feeling he'll do well.

Craig

World Traveller
Bazza said:
How much of Jones have you seen? The 7 overs he bowled in the Ashes??

Flintoff doesn't bowl around the wicket as a rule of thumb - he is a very good bowler and hopefully will show that much this summer.

Neil beat me to the (perhaps) surprising tip of Hussain for top scorer - I think he's been in great form and the break from one day cricket will have refreshed him.
Well he did bowl it in India and I do recall him doing it against India in England. He did fustrate.

And no, I have seen more of Jones then the 7 overs he had bowled in the Ashes, it is my choice to rate him, and I choose not to, I just dont see anything special in him besides his pace.

I hope you never call for Jones to be picked in the ODI when he is fit enough, because that will make you look like a crazy fool.

For starters he is too expansive at 3.57 an over in Tests and 3.79 an over in FC cricket which is again too expansive and from what I have read with his stats he has a problem with accuracy.

And in his last Test he was going at over four an over.

Jones' stats:

http://www-usa11.cricket.org/link_to_database/PLAYERS/ENG/J/JONES_SP_01005610/

And tell me what is so special about Jones and Flintoff in Test cricket?

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jones has bopwled for 1 match and 7 overs (in which he looked very dangerous against the best side in the world)

Not enough to base any opinion on.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I am going to the test match on saturday for FREE, as i will be in a Demostation at the intervial (Lunchtime) so that will be good

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Following the sad loss of his father to cancer today, it appears Kallis will miss the first 2 Tests.

I'm sure all our thoughts are with him at this sad time.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say that our thoughts are with Jacques at this terribly sad time