Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Steve Tikolo to retire

  1. #1
    International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Posts
    4,123

    Steve Tikolo to retire

    Its official


    What a Great
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,864
    That's a shame. Great player.

  3. #3
    International Coach duffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So appalled...
    Posts
    11,589
    Onya Stevie, top bloke and a good player as well.

  4. #4
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just under your skin
    Posts
    5,821
    Best non-test playing batsmen of recent era.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)


  5. #5
    First Class Debutant Chemosit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    844
    Great player, great leader, great bloke. Greater loss.

    see my blog for my full thoughts.
    Kenyacricket blog: Building a better future for Kenyan Cricket
    Become a fan of Kenya Cricket.com on facebook :

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In the minds of Australians
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Best non-test playing batsmen of recent era.
    Fully agree. Even better than RTD who indeed is a great talent, but a bit overrated here. Tikolo is my hero from the days I started watching cricket. Of course it helps I was born in Kenya.

  7. #7
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    850
    The end of an excellent career. I remember watching Steve Tikolo cracking a 50 against the Australians in the 96 World Cup when I was still a youngin. There was an elegance in his style of play and a flamboyancy in the Kenyan team in general that made them my '2nd' favourite international team. From the interviews I read he also came across as a very humble man. I hope he remains involved in Kenyan Cricket and heps to strengthen it in the future. Congrats to him on a great career.

    EDIT: 50 was not against Australia, was against India.
    Last edited by alvarez; 18-04-2009 at 07:08 AM.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Terrific player for a long time, but it's probably about the right time for him to go - isn't he in his mid-late-30s by now?

    Real shame he never got to play Test cricket, but I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  9. #9
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Terrific player for a long time, but it's probably about the right time for him to go - isn't he in his mid-late-30s by now?

    Real shame he never got to play Test cricket, but I guess that's just the way it goes sometimes.
    He is 37, pushing 38.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,225
    Quote Originally Posted by alvarez View Post
    The end of an excellent career. I remember watching Steve Tikolo cracking a 50 against the Australians in the 96 World Cup when I was still a youngin. There was an elegance in his style of play and a flamboyancy in the Kenyan team in general that made them my '2nd' favourite international team. From the interviews I read he also came across as a very humble man. I hope he remains involved in Kenyan Cricket and heps to strengthen it in the future. Congrats to him on a great career.

    EDIT: 50 was not against Australia, was against India.
    Pretty sure that he got 50-odd against Australia in the 2003 WC.

  11. #11
    International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Posts
    4,123
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Pretty sure that he got 50-odd against Australia in the 2003 WC.
    yep he did

  12. #12
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Pretty sure that he got 50-odd against Australia in the 2003 WC.
    Yeah I think the 50 I was referring to was Maurice Odumbe as it was definitely the 96 WC, as I remember them beating the Windies in the same tournament. Everytime I have seen Tikolo on tv though he has been good to watch.

  13. #13
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    BANGALORE
    Posts
    205
    Think he was labelled the Viv Richards of kenya after the 96 wc and certainly played a big part in the 2003 WC with Kenya emerging as unlikely semi-finalists

    also reminds me of another seasoned west indian who played for Netherlands in earlier WC - any guesses ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Think I must be Indian as well. All it takes is to criticise an NZ bowler that I think is good and bam!

  14. #14
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Krishna_j View Post
    Think he was labelled the Viv Richards of kenya after the 96 wc and certainly played a big part in the 2003 WC with Kenya emerging as unlikely semi-finalists

    also reminds me of another seasoned west indian who played for Netherlands in earlier WC - any guesses ?
    I know that, on the tip of my tongue... but infuriatingly I am going to have to Cricinfo it.

    Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Nolan Clarke
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year Kweek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Haarlem, The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,723
    Good old Nolan, the rowdyust guy in the netherlands, but a damn fine batsman
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Farewell Steve Bucknor
    By Krishna_j in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-03-2009, 12:02 PM
  2. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 27-02-2009, 10:37 AM
  3. Steve Bucknor retires
    By G.I.Joe in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 26-02-2009, 02:32 AM
  4. Steve Waugh's Fault
    By Speersy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 19-02-2009, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •