• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Defensive Batsman: Gavaskar vs Dravid

Better defensive batsman

• Total voters

Maximus0723

State Regular
Never watched Gavaskar but have heard many things about his defense and how much he valued his wicket.

Choose one: Gavaskar vs Dravid.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
gavaskar, clearly...dravid has certainly done enough to get into the discussion but gavaskar had just the perfect defensive technique and an enormous reservoir of focus, concentration...i have seen him play really long, high-pressure innings on absolute minefields without getting beaten even once....

rahul_m

Cricket Spectator
Gavaskar imo. Must have had a solid defence if he had to make runs against the West Indies pacers.

Evermind

International Debutant
Compared to Gavaskar, Dravid is Afridi. So Dravid. He can defend without putting the audience in a coma.

ret

International Debutant
SMG .... I have heard that he cut down on hooking as it got him out on a few occasions .... the bowlers must have hated him

ret

International Debutant
Dravid's case is a bit strange in a way that he sometimes goes in to a shell when there is no need and fails to rotate strike

bagapath

International Captain
according to cricinfo's statsguru gavaskar scored at a faster clip compared to dravid. even i remember the gavaskar of the 80s as solid batsman not a bore. as for the question posed here, its too difficult to choose. pretty even for me. would back either of them to bat for a draw on a tough pitch.

SM Gavaskar (India) 1971-1987 125 214 16 10122 236* 51.12 15327+ 44.42* 34 45 12

R Dravid (ICC/India) 1996-2009 134 233 27 10823 270 52.53 25934 41.73 26 57 8

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's an estimated S/R, I'm sure the margin of error there means that it could probably be the same. For practicle purposes, it most certainly would be.

bagapath

International Captain
That's an estimated S/R, I'm sure the margin of error there means that it could probably be the same. For practicle purposes, it most certainly would be.
well, may be. but i dont see it or any other factual info available supporting the theory that gavaskar was more boring than dravid. i dont think he was sand whatever available info we have doesnt prove my assumption wrong.