• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Breaks it Finally !!

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Zaheer got lucky, lucky that us Kiwi's are such ****ing idiots while batting. I maintain that he is hardly a great bowler. If O'Brien or Franklin were bowling to our players I'd find them more threatening, if Zaheer were bowling to Indian I'd think he'd be dominated.
Not sure if this is a self deprecating and self flagellating Kiwi trait which I see in many other threads as well . :laugh:

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He doesn't really get wickets when there is no swing but his control is amazing and he doesn't give too much away, keeps it tight and as Mongia said, seems to know when to go hard and when to go easy... A real experienced campaigner who is doing the best he can with his skillset...

Flem274*

123/5
I can see what Athlai means, O'Brien and Franklin would **** all over our current openers and as we all know exposure of Flynn and Taylor early means either 300 or 150a.o. Ryder and Vettori are the only batsmen in the team that I'd back to consistently score against our seamers, and thats including Oram (very vulnerable batsman to spin so I'd back Oram to have him).

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
The series is won - the aberration addressed and the minnows put in their place

But for Dhoni's poor timing of declaration it would well have been 2-0 - full marks to Ross Taylor (reminds me of Alec Stewart) for preventing a complete collapse - pity NZ wasted Mc Callum so low in the order

Look forward to Down Under and the next series whenever it is

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm that's a very interesting statistic indeed.
Zaheer was an average bowler till about 2 years and a bit ago. However starting from the tour of South Africa in Dec 2007 he has had a much improved showing. This cant be denied even if we take the minnows separately. Have a look.

Code:
	[B]            [COLOR="DarkRed"]Minnows[/COLOR]		   [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Non Minnows[/COLOR]		
	        [COLOR="DarkRed"]Wkts	Avg	St Rt[/COLOR]	[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Wkts	Avg	St Rt[/COLOR][/B]
Upto Dec 2007	[COLOR="DarkRed"]29	29.6	53[/COLOR]	[COLOR="DarkGreen"]92	38.5	70[/COLOR]
Since Dec 2007	[COLOR="DarkRed"]8	21.9	30[/COLOR]	[COLOR="DarkGreen"]81	31.2	58[/COLOR]
The figures for non-minnows are still around 30 but the improvement is dramatic. He is not a world beater as the Indian commentators will have us believe but you have to remember that he is not young any more and he has found his line and length and control a bit late. He doesn't have too many big hauls. He does provide India with an initial break through but has not had many really innings-run-throughs. Those are what bring down your figures. Then bowling on home tracks is a pain. Against Australia he averaged 43.2 at home earlier this season. Indian bowlers will always suffer poor averages because half their bowling will be done at tracks still made for the fifties and sixties :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
**** me dead. Arrogant much? It's Indian supporters like you that make me hope they're ground into the dust in their next few test series.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Dream on :laugh:

seriously playing the likes of Jamie How , Flynn , Mc Intosh , Southee, Mills et al in test cricket - can't see NZ climbing away from no 8 - your cupboard must be really bare

See the results over the last two years - even the last series against B'desh - but for Vettori's heroics it would have been a different tale - Bangladesh and NZ will be tarred with the same brush - maybe a different hue at best

i have posted in the past as well - Bring back your ICL players and coax one or two out of retirement , playing Franklin as a batting all rounder, Mc Cullum at 7 or 8 and dropping Jeet Patel and other selectorial quirks does'nt help your cause .

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
i have posted in the past as well - Bring back your ICL players.
Looks like for all the arrogance you have, you're severely lacking in a sense of irony. Who's bully-boy board is the one actually preventing other test teams from bringing back their ICL-affiliated players?

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Looks like a thinly veiled attempt to pass on your current woes on the BCCI :laugh:

There is a past precedent when Hadlee played in the NZ leg of WSC in 78-79 and played test cricket as well - circumstances were a bit different as Pak also played their WSC players - but they wagged a finger at the establishment

in any case i am not a supporter of the BCCI as well - hope someone takes a stand on the ICL issue

your men in white are not a patch on your men in black - whether its ODI or rugby and you may not lose sleep over it but its a brutal fact

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zaheer was an average bowler till about 2 years and a bit ago. However starting from the tour of South Africa in Dec 2007 he has had a much improved showing. This cant be denied even if we take the minnows separately. Have a look.

Code:
	[B]            [COLOR="DarkRed"]Minnows[/COLOR]		   [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Non Minnows[/COLOR]		
	        [COLOR="DarkRed"]Wkts	Avg	St Rt[/COLOR]	[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Wkts	Avg	St Rt[/COLOR][/B]
Upto Dec 2007	[COLOR="DarkRed"]29	29.6	53[/COLOR]	[COLOR="DarkGreen"]92	38.5	70[/COLOR]
Since Dec 2007	[COLOR="DarkRed"]8	21.9	30[/COLOR]	[COLOR="DarkGreen"]81	31.2	58[/COLOR]
The figures for non-minnows are still around 30 but the improvement is dramatic. He is not a world beater as the Indian commentators will have us believe but you have to remember that he is not young any more and he has found his line and length and control a bit late. He doesn't have too many big hauls. He does provide India with an initial break through but has not had many really innings-run-throughs. Those are what bring down your figures. Then bowling on home tracks is a pain. Against Australia he averaged 43.2 at home earlier this season. Indian bowlers will always suffer poor averages because half their bowling will be done at tracks still made for the fifties and sixties :)
Indeed, yes.

I like Zaheer as a bowler, have done since he destroyed England in 2007. Maybe it's just that i've always thought of him as a more proven performer than he is. Dale Steyn has been performing even better by quite a distance for longer than that now and people were calling him "unproven" and insisting his stats will get worse up until very recently. Somehow I've started to think of Zaheer as a really reliable performed and it surprised me to realise that, really, he hasn't actually had a great deal of success at all.

To watch, he has visibly improved.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Didn't think I needed to go into great depth tbh, Zaheer bowled very, very well and it his was his good bowling and not poor shotplay that was the downfall of the batsman.
It was a good spell and the bowling too was good but Zaheer is not the 'great' some are trying to make him out to be. He is just a solid Test performer.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach

But for Dhoni's poor timing of declaration it would well have been 2-0 - full marks to Ross Taylor (reminds me of Alec Stewart) for preventing a complete collapse - pity NZ wasted Mc Callum so low in the order

Look forward to Down Under and the next series whenever it is
Dream on :laugh:

seriously playing the likes of Jamie How , Flynn , Mc Intosh , Southee, Mills et al in test cricket - can't see NZ climbing away from no 8 - your cupboard must be really bare

See the results over the last two years - even the last series against B'desh - but for Vettori's heroics it would have been a different tale - Bangladesh and NZ will be tarred with the same brush - maybe a different hue at best

i have posted in the past as well - Bring back your ICL players and coax one or two out of retirement , playing Franklin as a batting all rounder, Mc Cullum at 7 or 8 and dropping Jeet Patel and other selectorial quirks does'nt help your cause .
Looks like a thinly veiled attempt to pass on your current woes on the BCCI :laugh:

There is a past precedent when Hadlee played in the NZ leg of WSC in 78-79 and played test cricket as well - circumstances were a bit different as Pak also played their WSC players - but they wagged a finger at the establishment

in any case i am not a supporter of the BCCI as well - hope someone takes a stand on the ICL issue

your men in white are not a patch on your men in black - whether its ODI or rugby and you may not lose sleep over it but its a brutal fact
Piss off

martin88

Banned
It was a good spell and the bowling too was good but Zaheer is not the 'great' some are trying to make him out to be. He is just a solid Test performer.
Fully agree.

However, since World Cup 2007, he is 6th best pace bowler (behind Steyn, Johnson, Ntini, Lee and Sidebottom) in terms of wickets. And 5th in terms of averages among the top 6.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fully agree.

However, since World Cup 2007, he is 6th best pace bowler (behind Steyn, Johnson, Ntini, Lee and Sidebottom) in terms of wickets. And 5th in terms of averages among the top 6.
Steyn 128 @ 21.12 SR 36.2
Johnson 94 @ 28.01 SR 56.5
Ntini 80 @ 31.80 SR 57.3
Lee 79 @ 28.53 SR 53.8
Sidebottom 77 @ 26.87 SR 58.5
Khan 76 @ 30.44 SR 58.5
Anderson 71 @ 33.52 SR 61
Martin 54 @ 31.87 SR 59.6
Edwards 52 @ 34.67 SR 52.2
Morkel 52 @ 34.78 SR 56.8
Sharma 52 @ 33.15 SR 62.1
O'Brien 50 @ 29.28 SR 57.5

How would you rate them?

martin88

Banned
Steyn 128 @ 21.12 SR 36.2
Johnson 94 @ 28.01 SR 56.5
Ntini 80 @ 31.80 SR 57.3
Lee 79 @ 28.53 SR 53.8
Sidebottom 77 @ 26.87 SR 58.5
Khan 76 @ 30.44 SR 58.5
Anderson 71 @ 33.52 SR 61
Martin 54 @ 31.87 SR 59.6
Edwards 52 @ 34.67 SR 52.2
Morkel 52 @ 34.78 SR 56.8
Sharma 52 @ 33.15 SR 62.1
O'Brien 50 @ 29.28 SR 57.5

How would you rate them?
1. Steyn
2. Daylight
3. Johnson
4. Zaheer
5. Sidebottom
6. Lee
7. Anderson
8. O Brien
9. Sharma
10.Morkel
11.Edwards

This is my rating as of now.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
As a final stamp of how Zaheer has been good recently, he has made the Wisden World XI test team in their latest edition.