• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Breaks it Finally !!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the end, it is performances you can translate from the talent you possess which matters. So it has to be looked at from the performances rather than the talent view point.
Pffft. Why does it "have to" exactly? What's unreasonable about making a basic statement on the quality of a side?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I agree that this is one of the two best Indian sides ever. Not just the best yet. That would take a bit more time to achieve, if at all they do achieve it.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
They've easily got the best seam attack India have ever put on the park IMO.

Munaf, Zaheer and Ishant - quite a decent pace attack IMO.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pratters said:
1971 team is still better IMO but if we carry on like this for 8 month-2 years, this might well be our best all time side
Maybe not- you're looking in terms of achievements though. I'm looking in terms of quality and i think this Indian side's as good as any they've had.
In the end, it is performances you can translate from the talent you possess which matters. So it has to be looked at from the performances rather than the talent view point.
You're just being pedantic. That's utterly and completely irrelevant to the initial point i was trying to make.
It is exactly the point we were discussing.

Last edited:

Uppercut

No it is exactly the point we were discussing.
I only said they were best in the context that it shouldn't be a surprise when they beat New Zealand. What do past achievements have to do with how likely they are to win a match tomorrow? All that matters is how good they are at winning now.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I only said they were best in the context that it shouldn't be a surprise when they beat New Zealand. What do past achievements have to do with how likely they are to win a match tomorrow? All that matters is how good they are at winning now.
Okay a fair enough view point though I wouldn't look at it that way while judging the best Indian side.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Thats right.

If you make batting tracks, India could pile up big runs but did not have the fire power to get 20 wickets. If you make tracks to suit pacers, India would be bundled out but not be able to retaliate.

Today the roles are reversed.

By the way, its interesting to note that in 1967 India won the series and the bowlers who did the job for them were

Code:
[B]Player          W	5w	 Best  	Avg   	S/R[/B]
Prasanna, EAS   24	2	 6/94	18.79	54.04
Bedi, B S	16	1	 6/127	23.19	70.31
Nadkarni, R G	14	1	 6/43	17.93	81.79
In 1976 the spinners were declining. Prasanna was in the 14th year of a 16 year long career and Chandra in his 12th of 15. Yet these two bowled well enough to allow India to draw the series 1-1.

Code:
[B]Player   	W	Best	5w	Avg      S/R[/B]
Prasanna, EAS	11	 8/76	1	20.27  51.64
Chandrasekhar	11	 6/94	1	26.73  65.36
Makes you wonder about the modern day great spinners of India doesn't it. These guys did it with next to no help from the seamers. There wasn't even a solitary Kapil Dev in sight let alone three fast medium to medium fast bowlers in the side and a couple waiting on the sidelines.

Didn't someone say something in another thread about spinners not being effective. These guys were. You just have to be THAT good.
Those were uncovered wickets though weren't they that India played on 67/68 ?
If so, You'd have to think Harbhajan and Kumble would have been a right royal handful on those wickets as well.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that this is one of the two best Indian sides ever. Not just the best yet. That would take a bit more time to achieve, if at all they do achieve it.
But this team did win in WI, Eng, Pak and hopefully they will win it in NZ too. Not to forget that it came close to winning the series in Australia too. I would put this team ahead of any team India has had in its entire history.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
But this team did win in WI, Eng, Pak and hopefully they will win it in NZ too. Not to forget that it came close to winning the series in Australia too. I would put this team ahead of any team India has had in its entire history.
The 67/68 side also won in Nzl apart from WI and Eng. Pak matches were always draws due to flat decks and teams being too conservative in their approach. After conquering Windies and then England, the side was arguably the best ever in the world and many tagged them world champions for a while. This side doesn't get that tag yet as there are South Africa and Australia who are also very strong/stronger.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Has to be said that the Indian team that didn't get anywhere near winning in Australia last year (if we're honest) was quite a bit different to the one that's playing today. Lots of players have been replaced and the ones that haven't have improved quite a bit.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Has to be said that the Indian team that didn't get anywhere near winning in Australia last year (if we're honest) was quite a bit different to the one that's playing today. Lots of players have been replaced and the ones that haven't have improved quite a bit.
Perth, as mentioned. And let's not even get started about Sydney, eh? *That's* been the only thing to come close to the intensity of a good old India-Pakistan shouting match. :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think you guys have misinterpreted Uppercut here.

Even though I disagree with him regarding not close to winning the test series (very competitive in Sydney and Adelaide)... all he's stating is that the current Indian team would have a better chance at beating Australia right now, than they did in 07/08.

He's not wrong. Zaheer was injured for that series, and Ishant was very very inexperienced. Add to that we now have Dhoni's captaincy, and Gambhir going strong.

Uppercut

Perth, as mentioned. And let's not even get started about Sydney, eh? *That's* been the only thing to come close to the intensity of a good old India-Pakistan shouting match. :laugh:
Looks like most of the Sydney test , Perth test and the Carlton and United one-day series were aberrations

:laugh::laugh:
Hahaha, Indian cricket fans. I meant they got nowhere near winning the series. They didn't. Maybe could have got a draw though with a lot more luck.

But yeah, Jono nailed the actual point being made.

Hahaha, Indian cricket fans. I meant they got nowhere near winning the series. They didn't. Maybe could have got a draw though with a lot more luck.

But yeah, Jono nailed the actual point being made.
Never mind. Since the end of Sydney Test, India has dominated Australia.

Are you on drinks? What is with the intimidating "Indian fans... :laugh:" line? :huh:

Uppercut

I just find a bit of a persecution complex with Indian fans online that i don't get anywhere near as much with those of any other country. England probably got closer to winning against SA in the series at home last summer than India did in Australia the previous winter, but if i were to casually say (quite rightly) that England got nowhere near a victory I'm not going to have three English fans jump on me for it.

There's a degree of sensitivity around that particular series i guess. But i have pretty mixed opinions of every team and it's only ever the Indians that call me out for baiting when i say something less than complementary about their side.