• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opening bowlers for Post WW2 XI

Who are the TWO opening bowlers of your Post WW2 Dream XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
Choose TWO from the following list of opening bowlers to lead the bowling attack of Post WW2 Dream XI

Keith Miller
Ray Lindwall
Fred Trueman
Dennis Lillee
Richard Hadlee
Imran Khan
Malcolm Marshall

Fusion

Global Moderator
I believe the two best bowlers from the list to be Marshall and Hadlee. However, as Sobers is a certainty in the team, people will think that he serves the batting all-rounder's role and forego anymore AR's. I, on the other hand, will have Sobers play purely on his batting merits and have Imran in the team as both a top-class opening bowler and because I prefer the bowling all-rounder. So to make a long story short, I'm voting Marshall and Imran to maximize the Khan's chances of making the team. :)

bagapath

International Captain
this is going to be a tough one. will wait and watch before casting my vote

Last edited:

steve132

U19 Debutant
I believe the two best bowlers from the list to be Marshall and Hadlee. However, as Sobers is a certainty in the team, people will think that he serves the batting all-rounder's role and forego anymore AR's. I, on the other hand, will have Sobers play purely on his batting merits and have Imran in the team as both a top-class opening bowler and because I prefer the bowling all-rounder. So to make a long story short, I'm voting Marshall and Imran to maximize the Khan's chances of making the team. :)
I voted for Marshall and Lillee, but I also want Imran in the team. :)

bagapath

International Captain
marshall and hadlee for now. tough call but i m comfortable with these two all-round fast bowlers who had everything - pace, accuracy, swing, cut, cricketing acumen, versatility and success for several years against all opposition in sight. if lillee makes it as an option to the next bowling poll, then it will boil down to him and murali (to go with warne). all depends on whether sobers makes it to the team as a batsman alone or as no.6. too many ifs and buts......

bagapath

International Captain
planning to take only one runner up from this poll to the 3rd and 4th bowlers poll with the three spinners. if two are tied for the third position both would be carried over.

Fusion

Global Moderator
But I thought they all rated Lillee far below Imran. Here Imran has just one vote.

I think there is tactical voting on CW. :sly:
Hmm, I don't think there are many on CW who rate Imran above Lillee (though I personally do). If anything, I think Imran the bowler is massively underrated here. And not that you asked, but to explain my vote, it's nothing but a desire to see Imran in the final XI as a bowling all-rounder. As I stated in my earlier post, I think the two best opening bowlers IMO would be Marshall and Hadlee. So it is indeed tactical voting on my part. :)

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
even if imran doesnt make it to the next bowling poll as an option he has one more shot at the team as he is a legit candidate for the no. 6 pollwhich will feature him, miller, sobers (if he is not selected for the middle order) and the batting runner up

bagapath

International Captain
with lillee and hadlee still staying so close to each other it is impossible to start the poll for 3rd and 4th bowlers.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
with lillee and hadlee still staying so close to each other it is impossible to start the poll for 3rd and 4th bowlers.
I do not understand how a difference of 18 %age points (as I write) is so close ?

bagapath

International Captain
i mean i cannot assume hadlee would be joining marshall as the opening bowler and lillee should be carried over as the top runner up to the next poll. with only about 28 votes polled so far it is possible for lillee to overtake hadlee

bagapath

International Captain
so you guys want sobers in the middle order and imran at no.6? does that mean murali and warne both are going to be playing with imran, marshall and hadlee to bowl pace? i would rather have sobers at 6 and get him to bowl additional spin to support warne/murali. marshall, hadlee and lillee should be a handy pace attack. also the middle order is going to look scary if sobers comes at 7 and gilly at 8.