• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is your Wicket Keeper for the Post Packer Dream XI?

Who will be your wicket keeper for the Post Packer Dream XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
Choose one Wicket Keeper from the list below for your Post Packer Era Dream XI. The poll will close after five days.

AC Gilchrist (Aus) 1999-2008 89 5143 204* 46.33 15 351 32
IA Healy (Aus) 1988-1999 118 4351 161* 27.53 4 364 29
A Flower (Zim) 1992-2002 51 4166 232* 52.73 11 133 7
MV Boucher (SA) 1997-2009 108 4146 122* 29.19 3 1 1/6 6.00 0 382 17
AJ Stewart (Eng) 1991-2003 76 4057 173 32.98 4 216 14
PJL Dujon (WI) 1982-1991 79 3146 139 31.46 5 265 5
KC Sangakkara (SL) 2000-2008 40 2658 230 39.67 6 99 14
Moin Khan (Pak) 1990-2004 62 2459 137 28.92 4 122 20
RD Jacobs (WI) 1998-2004 56 2249 118 26.77 3 176 10
AC Parore (NZ) 1990-2002 56 2122 110 25.87 2 159 7

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
I've gone for Gilchrist, the most devastating no.7 in history. he would have been a strong contender for the middle order even if he were not the great stumper that he was.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Could really go either way between Flower, Sangakkara and Gilchrist. I've always loved watching Sanga play, always felt he is slightly underated as a batsman as well, so I've gone for him. Wouldn't mind if Gilchrist were to win though.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Gilchrist by a hundred miles. Not because any of the others would be a terrible selection, but because Gilchrist at his peak was just that good.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Gilchrist by a hundred miles. Not because any of the others would be a terrible selection, but because Gilchrist at his peak was just that good.
Not sure about that TBH. Gilchrist at his best wasn't 100 miles (whatever that means) better than Sangakkara and Flower at their respective bests. Better, that may be (though I wouldn't necessarily agree) right, but it wasn't by much IMO.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Not sure about that TBH. Gilchrist at his best wasn't 100 miles (whatever that means) better than Sangakkara and Flower at their respective bests. Better, that may be (though I wouldn't necessarily agree) right, but it wasn't by much IMO.
Exaggerating for effect TBH, don't really want to make a big deal out of it. But I genuinely believe Gilchrist was that much better than the rest (although Sanga would be second on the list and Flower definately in the top 4 or 5).

Slifer

International Captain
Gilchrist not a better batsman than A Flower but a better fit at no. 7 in ne all time team hence why I chose him.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Pretty much agree ^^^

Flower is the better batsman IMO, but obviously Gilchrist is the player you'd want more in your all time XI, come to think of it, as well as being a better keeper.

Chubb

International Regular
I would go for Gilchrist. Flower wasn't a good keeper, people exaggerate how good he was with the gloves though I think he was the best bat. Sanga is a good keeper and a superb bat, but Gilchrist would be better at 7 and I would have the keeper batting there in this side to maximise the efficacy of the top 6, who would all be superb bats. So Gilchrist for me as an impact no. 7. I'd have Flower in the side purely as a batsman to be honest, he'd be at 5.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
I've gone for Gilchrist at postion.. but i do think Flower was better batsman.
Gilchrist slightly better keeper and more suited to position 7 anyway..
Sanga slighlty over-rated as keeper/batsman.. hardly performed when combining keeping and wicketkeeping.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Flower and Sangakkara were definitely better batsmen than Gilchrist, but Flower was essentially a part-time keeper who filled in for a very long time and Sangakkara never truly managed to balance the arts of averaging over 50 with the bat with wicket keeping. As keeper/batsmen, Gilchrist really was well and truly better than them.

bagapath

International Captain
Sanga slighlty over-rated as keeper/batsman.. hardly performed when combining keeping and wicketkeeping.
check out sanga's stats as wk, mate! 113 dismissals in 40 tests and an average of 39.67 with bat with 6 centuries is a great record. not too many in the history of the game can challenge that. and this is only against top teams!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
check out sanga's stats as wk, mate! 113 dismissals in 40 tests and an average of 39.67 with bat with 6 centuries is a great record. not too many in the history of the game can challenge that. and this is only against top teams!
Yeah, he went through periods where his keeping was pretty poor though. He was a very capable wicket keeper but he had off days when the workload got too much for him; he just wasn't really cut out for the dual role on a long-term basis.

I'd consider Boucher ahead of him depending on team balance, TBH, but Sangakkara was definitely the better of the two overall if you take everything into account.

kingkallis

International Coach
Boucher over Sangakkara? Take off the South Africa-tinted glasses, sir :p
Oh so the record book should not be checked? My bad...

My point is - the OP has started the debate on the basis of BEST Wicketkeeper and not Wicketkeeper batsman!

Thats why I have not mentioned Flower in my TOP 3!

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Flower and Sangakkara were definitely better batsmen than Gilchrist, but Flower was essentially a part-time keeper who filled in for a very long time and Sangakkara never truly managed to balance the arts of averaging over 50 with the bat with wicket keeping. As keeper/batsmen, Gilchrist really was well and truly better than them.
This.