• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Sorry mate, just don't think White has done enough to justify his place in the side ATM.

Not that he's Robinson Crusoe in that regard when it comes to ODIs of late :)
Haha!

It's no problem - I'm certainly not his biggest fan (nor Dave Husseys) - but I'm not sure who would be the logical replacement.

Someone who can come in and clear the boundary rope after a matter of balls.
Like him or not (and I don't really) White certainly has the big hitting thing down.
Looking at the squad they picked, I can't see who else would play that role! (Dave Warner??)

One thing that completely baffles me is that North wasn't included? I would've thought he was the perfect alternative to Dave Hussey in that he bats as well, and bowls better.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
gold

Haha!

It's no problem - I'm certainly not his biggest fan (nor Dave Husseys) - but I'm not sure who would be the logical replacement.

Like him or not (and I don't really) White certainly has the big hitting thing down.
Looking at the squad they picked, I can't see who else would play that role! (Dave Warner??)

One thing that completely baffles me is that North wasn't included? I would've thought he was the perfect alternative to Dave Hussey in that he bats as well, and bowls better.
why do they need a designated hitter ? like no none else in that team who already has a well rounded batting talent, can hit sixes ? hussey, ponting and haddin off the top of my head

pup11

International Coach
Sorry mate, just don't think White has done enough to justify his place in the side ATM.

Not that he's Robinson Crusoe in that regard when it comes to ODIs of late :)
Yup, White is getting a bit of free run for sometime now, without anything much to show for it, Travis Birt or maybe someone like Jason Krejza (in case they wanted a spinning all-rounder) won't have been a bad choice either.

Can't really see the merit in picking Voges either, seems to be in terrible form at present, and giving a gig to someone like Lee Carseldine, who has been in red hot form this season won't have been a bad move.

Anyways rest of the ODI squad looks pretty good, very happy that the selectors have picked blokes like Geeves and Laughlin, they richly deserve the chance they are getting.

Smart move from the selectors to rest both Siddle and Hilfenhaus, both have had injury issues for a while now, and managing their workload ahead of the Ashes and other important tournaments is pretty sensible.

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Haha!

There seems to be this perception that White is capable of doing that...coming in and giving it a whack from ball one, but from everything I've ever seen of him that's just not the case.

Yes he's a terrific striker of the ball and he's well capable of clearing the ropes, however he's one of those guys who plays best when he takes his time to get set before he tries to clear the infield and he quite often eats up a fair amount of balls in the process
Note his strike-rate in all one day matches for Victoria is only like 74 or so....despite his rep as a huge hitter.
He's far more suited to batting 4 or 5 in one day cricket, where he has time to play himself in and then go nuts, problem is there are far more worthy people of batting at 4/5 for Australia in ODI's.
In the role he's being picked atm (coming in at 7 with very limited time left and being asked to swing from ball one), he's really quite useless...has only come off 3 times so far in international cricket (the T20's against England and New Zealand aswell as a ODI against England at Hobart a couple of seasons ago).
And there's no way his bowling should come into the equation as far as ODI selection is concerned as there are better part-time spinning options in the squad already in the form of Clarke & D.Hussey.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Note his strike-rate in all one day matches for Victoria is only like 74 or so....despite his rep as a huge hitter.
He's actually 79.5 for Victoria - and 95.5 for Australia.

When it comes to T20 matches he's supreme - 188 for Australia and 153 for Victoria --> that beats Warners respective strike rates in both formats.

If you wanted to compare White to someone like Hodge in the T20 format - whom many here suggest is the 'best in the world' batting in that game
White averages 35 at 153 domestically - with 2 centuries (62 6s in 42 games)
Hodge average 41 at 135 with 1 century (46 6s in 56 games)

Make of it what you will - but there's a fair reason White has a rep as a huge hitter.

In all honesty, I'm not the guys biggest fan, but I don't really see the option as our late innings hitter...

Jakester1288

International Regular

When it comes to T20 matches he's supreme - 188 for Australia and 153 for Victoria --> that beats Warners respective strike rates in both formats.

If you wanted to compare White to someone like Hodge in the T20 format - whom many here suggest is the 'best in the world' batting in that game

Make of it what you will - but there's a fair reason White has a rep as a huge hitter.

In all honesty, I'm not the guys biggest fan, but I don't really see the option as our late innings hitter...
In the domestic limited over competitions, where does White usually bat for Victoria? Top 5?

iamdavid

International Debutant

Nah it's under 75 for Victoria I'm dead sure of it...Remember seeing it in the graphic displayed when he came out to bat in the FR Cup final. The 79.5 is all List-A matches so it includes his games for Australia (where he comes in at 7 thus the high strike-rate) and Somerset (where his home ground is Taunton which is ridiculously small and batsman friendly, Ian Blackwell averages 40 there FFS).

His rep as a huge hitter is justified I wasn't disputing that, however I just think he's usually going to be useless at doing it when he comes in late in the innings and just has to swing from ball one without getting his eye in.

Craig

World Traveller
Photo in today's paper had a picture of Peter Siddle with his shirt off with his back facing the camera and had one big Sourthern Cross tattoo on his back. So therefore my question is, does he take over from Jason Gillespie as Australia's most bogan cricketer?

(Yes this was in jest)

iamdavid

International Debutant
haha oh dear...yes he does.

And I think Warne was arguably more bogan than Gillespie...although if you were to judge purely on conversational skills and vocabulary Symonds trumps them all.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, the chain clearly goes Gillespie, Symonds, Siddle, with Ponting holding the position of Bogan Emeritus for the team.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Don't know whether there's much closet-ing going on with Benny. The guy is not a tradie but drives a ute and is from Tasmania...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, the chain clearly goes Gillespie, Symonds, Siddle, with Ponting holding the position of Bogan Emeritus for the team.
I'm not sure I'd have Gillespie at the top personally, he had a mullet and a chain but he didn't really sound like a bogan to me when he talked...he was funny for a start and had a pretty quick wit it seemed. I guess he qualifies...but after hearing Siddle the other day I'd put him up near the top with Symonds, Gillespie in 3rd. Merv Hughes must get a run if we throw in guys from the past. Boonie?