• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the better ODI batsman?

Who's the better ODI batsman?

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not sure if you did this poll because of the draft thread or for some other reason. If another reason, in the draft Tendulkar was first chosen and I chose Richards second. I rate Viv the best, but only just. I mean 16 000 runs is incredible.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The answer is Michael Bevan. The rest is irrelevant.
He's mighty lucky that every bouncer was no balled in his era. In current setup, he'll not be the batsman we had seen.

Tendulkar is better for me, because he played Warne, Muralitharan. and Saqlain. Richards never played spin close to that quality in his enitire career. May be Qadir and Chandra has a case, but Murali and Warne are a tier above them.

funnygirl

State Regular
Yep, that's what made me perhaps see Viv as edging it.

Possibly can counter with the fact that Sachin has had a greater burden on his shoulders when batting in ODIs, and perhaps argue greater longevity as well.
Yes.The kind of pressure he had just beyond any body's imagination .

But there were not that many ODIs during Viv's time .

Precambrian

Banned
He's mighty lucky that every bouncer was no balled in his era. In current setup, he'll not be the batsman we had seen.

Tendulkar is better for me, because he played Warne, Muralitharan. and Saqlain. Richards never played spin close to that quality in his enitire career. May be Qadir and Chandra has a case, but Murali and Warne are a tier above them.
Add to that quicks of the class of Ambrose, Walsh, McGrath, etc.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Myth.

Agree with the rest. Geez it's close, though. I think Viv was slightly better a big match player but Sachin's numerous other qualities put him ahead on points.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A strict interpretation of the question, i.e. "who's the better ODI batsman", means you'd have to say Sachin since Viv's well retired.

R_D

International Debutant
yeah tough one....

Seen the clips of Viv Richards.. he looks amazing and his record is great.
Sachin's been great as well.
easy way out... pick the 3rd option.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure. I'm going for Richards because incredible ODI success for a batsman was rarer in his era, and he's a better fielder and bowler as far as tiebreakers go.

These guys are two parts of the trio that are well ahead of the pack in the "best ever ODI batsman" stakes regardless, with the other being Bevan. Anyone else is competing for a distant fourth.

Evermind

International Debutant
Not sure. I'm going for Richards because incredible ODI success for a batsman was rarer in his era, and he's a better fielder and bowler as far as tiebreakers go.

These guys are two parts of the trio that are well ahead of the pack in the "best ever ODI batsman" stakes regardless, with the other being Bevan. Anyone else is competing for a distant fourth.
Why not Ponting? Hussey? Pietersen? Dhoni? Kallis?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How on Earth has Pietersen or Dhoni achieved enough to be put in the same class as Bevan, Viv or Sachin.

Same with Hussey too.

Look at how many years Sachin has been plying his trade, and consistently averaging 40+ at a very healthy strike rate.

kingkallis

International Coach
In his time Viv was only player of his type. He was unique, we can put very few in his category.

Greatbach made things easier for players like Sachin, Jayasuriya, Kaluwitharana, Sohail, Anwar etc [ WC 1992 + era ]

In my opinion, Viv is better ODI bat than SRT!