• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Cricket news/views

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Except it hasn't, has it?
I think they'll take the route of least resistance and not ban their players from playing the ICL. The Sind High Court has ruled that the PCB restrictions on ICL players constitute unfair trade restrictions, so my guess is any restrictions cloaked under security concerns would be viewed similarly. The same would logically apply to the IPL ban too, but since the IPL contracted players are not fighting a case against their board, they'd have to either stay home or initiate proceedings, and the latter seems unlikely.

Whether the IPL or the ICL wants the Pakistani players is an issue to be considered by the players themselves too.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Pak-Aus series likely to be played at UAE

Australia v Pakistan 2009

Pakistan on target for one-day series with Australia

Alex Brown

February 4, 2009

The Pakistan Cricket Board is confident its one-day series with Australia will proceed in April, with a schedule to be released later this week. Ijaz Butt, the PCB chairman, met with Cricket Australia officials in Melbourne on Wednesday to discuss the contest, which is likely to be held after Australia's tour of South Africa.

The series is certain to be played at neutral venues - perhaps split between Abu Dhabi and Dubai - and will probably consist of five one-day and two Twenty20 internationals. Butt, who was a guest of Cricket Australia at the Allan Border Medal on Tuesday, said he would release further details upon his return to Pakistan on Friday.

"I think the series will be going ahead," he said. It will be the first time Australia have played Pakistan in an away bilateral series since the three Tests in 2002, which were staged in Colombo and Sharjah.

Australia were due in the country for Test and limited-overs contests last year but they were postponed due to safety and security concerns. The series in Pakistan will severely limit the availability of Australia's one-day players from participating in the second Indian Premier League.

Alex Brown is deputy editor of Cricinfo

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So, coming to this thread late, what's happened recently is:

1 - Cricket relations between Pakistan and India deteriorate sharply following Mumbai attacks.
2 - Indian tour cancelled.
3 - Suddenly the voices on the ICC board who don't want to play the CT in Pakistan get their way - as if a very influential board has ceased opposing the move.
4 - Suddenly, the ICC decides that its not that complicated to follow the rules set down by the MCC, and re-classifies the Oval test result, again as if a previously powerful bloc of votes that would have opposed that move has ceased doing so.
5 - Pakistan cricket, deciding it's efforts to keep the BCCI in its corner in their present difficulties are now futile, retaliates as much as it is able by withdrawing its players from the IPL and clearing the way for them to play in the ICL if they want.

Before people leap down my throat, I'm not having a go at the BCCI. Previously obviously they were using their influence to help support Pakistan as the leader of a pretty reliable coalition of votes. With the tragedy in Mumbai, the to-ing and fro-ing between people on both sides since, and now this series of decisions, it just seems pretty clear that the BCCI has abandoned the PCB, and unfortunately in the current perceived security situation, no other major nation is keen to help them either.

Sad to see.

Nah, the tensions are pretty much at the Government level, mate. If it were upto the BCCI and PCB, the tour would have happened, Pak guys would be playing in IPL and ICL and everything will be normal.. BCCI would do everything to keep PCB and its vote in their corner and PCB would do everything to appease BCCI because they are helping them out... I am sure once even a semblance of normalcy returns to the relationship between Indian and Pakistani Governments, the boards will act as they have been doing in the past..

jeevan

International 12th Man
So, coming to this thread late, what's happened recently is:

1 - Cricket relations between Pakistan and India deteriorate sharply following Mumbai attacks.
2 - Indian tour cancelled.
3 - Suddenly the voices on the ICC board who don't want to play the CT in Pakistan get their way - as if a very influential board has ceased opposing the move.
4 - Suddenly, the ICC decides that its not that complicated to follow the rules set down by the MCC, and re-classifies the Oval test result, again as if a previously powerful bloc of votes that would have opposed that move has ceased doing so.
5 - Pakistan cricket, deciding it's efforts to keep the BCCI in its corner in their present difficulties are now futile, retaliates as much as it is able by withdrawing its players from the IPL and clearing the way for them to play in the ICL if they want.

Before people leap down my throat, I'm not having a go at the BCCI. Previously obviously they were using their influence to help support Pakistan as the leader of a pretty reliable coalition of votes. With the tragedy in Mumbai, the to-ing and fro-ing between people on both sides since, and now this series of decisions, it just seems pretty clear that the BCCI has abandoned the PCB, and unfortunately in the current perceived security situation, no other major nation is keen to help them either.
Think you're right. BCCI & PCB had (in the context of India-Pakistan relations) an open mind and perhaps even were an example for others to follow. Now that's gone for the time being, and no use pretending otherwise.

Only thing to add here is the role the England team and ECB played by returning to finish the test tour. However symbolic, it was deeply appreciated in India. It is quite conceivable that BCCI's attitude towards 'non Asian bloc' boards also was modified.

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I really don't see what the big deal is with Pakistan's cricketing isolation. By now everyone must have accepted it. Its just a minor (on the scale of things - people are dying here) victim of US and Pakistani policies. Countries like south africa have survived isolation. The SA team has actually prospered since the end of minority rule. So it will be with Pakistan. There is no dearth of talent here.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nah, the tensions are pretty much at the Government level, mate. If it were upto the BCCI and PCB, the tour would have happened, Pak guys would be playing in IPL and ICL and everything will be normal.. BCCI would do everything to keep PCB and its vote in their corner and PCB would do everything to appease BCCI because they are helping them out... I am sure once even a semblance of normalcy returns to the relationship between Indian and Pakistani Governments, the boards will act as they have been doing in the past..
Well hopefully that happens rather than:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well hopefully that happens rather than:

:)

It was there before the Mumbai blasts..

Still think, even politically speaking, Pakistan needs to be more friendly with India and India would also realize that being hostile towards Pakistan is only contributing us needless trouble. Really do expect a bit more commitment from Pakistan on clamp down of terrorists in the near future and more financial support and perhaps a bit of giving up in terms of Kashmir territory from India..

I suppose it is a dream, but it is a pretty nice one. And hopefully it will come true soon. :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
*Sits back and waits for the lynching of GIMH.*

In fairness, I think Pakistan's problems are more complicated than can be fixed by a 'bit more commitment'. And the Kashmir thing is roughly as complicated as the Palestine issue in terms of being resolved to each parties satisfaction. Unfortunately, I think my morbid joke above is more likely to come true than for either side to compromise to the extent that would satisfy the other in regards to Kashmir.

Precambrian

Banned

In fairness, I think Pakistan's problems are more complicated than can be fixed by a 'bit more commitment'. And the Kashmir thing is roughly as complicated as the Palestine issue in terms of being resolved to each parties satisfaction. Unfortunately, I think my morbid joke above is more likely to come true than for either side to compromise to the extent that would satisfy the other in regards to Kashmir.
No, BCCI can buy anything in the world. Well, anything Pakistani atleast.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

well, tbh, what you are saying is true.. but one can always dream and hope.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

Haha, did you just confuse HB with GIMH?

haroon510

International 12th Man
:)

It was there before the Mumbai blasts..

Still think, even politically speaking, Pakistan needs to be more friendly with India and India would also realize that being hostile towards Pakistan is only contributing us needless trouble. Really do expect a bit more commitment from Pakistan on clamp down of terrorists in the near future and more financial support and perhaps a bit of giving up in terms of Kashmir territory from India..

I suppose it is a dream, but it is a pretty nice one. And hopefully it will come true soon. :)
i don't know i just think the other way mate. i think India needs to be more friendly as they can't afford to go to war with Pakistan.. lets take the example of Mumbai Terrorist attack..and how much it effected the capital and business of the city.. The booming economy of India is based on this business and foreign relations and a war could simply destroy that..

the Kashmir issue is an issue that we can put both countries at fault.. i have said it before and i will say it again.. the only problem Pakistan and India has is it is territorial.. no Religion, no terriost and nothing else.. it is just the Kashmir issue.. the sad part in here is that none of these countries listen to what Kashmiree people want.. both Pakistan and India are being Selfish and only care about their interest..

i don't think the Kashmir issue is as complicated as Palestinian issue.. simply because there is a solution to it if a strong body can take an interest in solving this issue.. there should be one body of government who can tell and who has the power to tell India and Pakistan that who the hell are you guys to make decision on behalf of Kashimree people..There should be a body strong enough to let the Kashmiree people decide which side they want to be at.. whether they want to be with India, Pakistan or even the thought of a free country and state could work also if it means peace and freedom for these people..more importantly there is no religion isssue involve as it is involve in Palestinian issues.. so it much easier to resolve than Palestinian issue..

No, BCCI can buy anything in the world. Well, anything Pakistani atleast.

Finally after writing 20 to 50 posts.. i found someone who is admiting this and agreeing with me. I hope that Sirdj notice read this..

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
@Haroon
What didn't you know that the BCCI is sitting on El Dorado and has posession of the Holy Grail too. They can buy any **** and bring back to life anybody.

R_D

International Debutant
i don't know i just think the other way mate. i think India needs to be more friendly as they can't afford to go to war with Pakistan.. lets take the example of Mumbai Terrorist attack..and how much it effected the capital and business of the city.. The booming economy of India is based on this business and foreign relations and a war could simply destroy that..

Finally after writing 20 to 50 posts.. i found someone who is admiting this and agreeing with me. I hope that Sirdj notice read this..
read that sentence again.... it might make bit more sense the second time around.

Lets not start this in cricket section... but will just say both sides need to be careful with what they say in the media.... just sends out wrong signals just due to the way the media may potray a comment made by a political leader.

haroon510

International 12th Man
read that sentence again.... it might make bit more sense the second time around.

Lets not start this in cricket section... but will just say both sides need to be careful with what they say in the media.... just sends out wrong signals just due to the way the media may potray a comment made by a political leader.
i agree.. i just said my opinion.. i am not pakistani or indian.. i am blaming both sides as neutral party..

Matt79

Global Moderator
Haha, did you just confuse HB with GIMH?
That avatar is throwing me horribly - GIMH was also using it at some point this week, right?

Plus as a general rule, I'm always waiting, hoping someone might start a riot to lynch Corrin... :p

Last edited: