• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC's top 20 all-time list

G.I.Joe

International Coach
You're kidding, aren't you? Because the ICC publish a ratings system, probably with an over-hyped title, they are saying that it's the definitive measure of a batsman?
Then it would be advisable for them to grow a brain and avoid over-hyped titles, is it not?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bothered to actually look at what they call it; the "Best Ever Test Ranking". What the hell is wrong with that? They aren't claiming to be ranking the best batsmen in order, all they are saying is that these are the highest ranking scores that any batsman has achieved at one time.

Not exactly an overhyped title.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Bothered to actually look at what they call it; the "Best Ever Test Ranking". What the hell is wrong with that? They aren't claiming to be ranking the best batsmen in order, all they are saying is that these are the highest ranking scores that any batsman has achieved at one time.

Indeed. A fair bit of

going on here.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The articles heading is misleadig. This is ICCs top 20 performances. Which is quite different from top 20 players

G.I.Joe

International Coach

It is misleading. For instance, if you're selecting a "Best Ever Australian XI" you wouldn't pick one critereon at random. They've got the terminology all wrong.

Athlai

Not Terrible
ICC tells easily-led masses to actually read the facts, think for themselves and get some ****ing perspective rather than blindly swallow anti-(insert favourite player here) conspiracy hype.

FFS.
"It's up to everyone to make their own judgment by comparing graphs, or by other more subjective means. This debate may run and run."

I take that as meaning make up completely random ways to select the best players of all time spilling as much blood as possible till a conclusion is reached. Though a subjective comparison could be seeing which player has the most potent sperm. Voltman to volunteer for some exploratory journalism? Yes IMO.

krkode

State Captain
See, if they hadn't titled it so ambiguously and so controversially we wouldn't be having a 3-page discussion about it here nor would there have been half-a-dozen articles written about it.

Controversy sells. :ph34r:

Evermind

International Debutant
Though I'm fully aware that this is the internet, this is still the dumbest debate I've ever witnessed.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
See, if they hadn't titled it so ambiguously and so controversially we wouldn't be having a 3-page discussion about it here nor would there have been half-a-dozen articles written about it.

Controversy sells. :ph34r:
Its not just the title. The ICC insists on digging itself into a deeper hole.

Sample this comment by Mr Fitzgerald, who holds the ironically named post of Communications manager at the ICC:

"Matthew Hayden's position of 10th and 18th in the all-time Test and ODI Reliance Mobile ICC Player Rankings for batsmen is an impressive achievement by anyone's standards but this does not necessarily mean he is the 10th-best Test batsman or 18th-best ODI batsman in the history of the game."

Way to contradict ones self.