• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Report: Stanford walks away from cricket

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is big news, but at the same time I'm not exactly surprised. Always struck me as a bit of a whimsical sort of guy and not someone who could be relied upon in the long term.

Precambrian

Banned
Was about to post that article.

If true, terrible news for ECB who have just lost the Vodafone sponsorship as well, and could accentuate the concentration of cricketing moneypower in the subcontinent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not surprising at all to me, always said his interest in cricket was odd TSTL.

However, given all sorts of people were presuming his backing would be there, this is quite possibly going to be a serious headache for a fair few people.

Redbacks

International Captain
Most people don't like losing $40 million USD a year so he will be able to walk away. He seemed a bit false from the start.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I am not one bit surprised, i never could really understand what he was trying to achieve by investing such huge amount of money without getting any prospective profits in return, he never came across as a guy willing to churn out that much just for welfare, development and love of the game, huge blow this both for both ECB and WICB (in particular), as all of Stanford' money could have helped revive the interest for the game among the youth of the Caribbean.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
I dont actually see what Stanford would gain from firing representatives. All he would lose is the respect of the west indian fans. Furthermore, Colin Croft came out saing that he (Stanford) would continue on with both the inter island comp and the 20-20 for 20 comp. However, i dont think this is likely; i think his interest has just dropped in the game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To a certain extent I dont blame him. He has a big ego and noone likes spending 10s of millions only to get criticised.

If nothing else ECB got a few mill for doing nothing.

It would be great if the SuperSeries continued but I think his reported business plan was always a little wrong and I think he enthusiasm took a bash from a lot of unappreciative people.

Its not great timing after the Vodaphone news but it opens up other opportunities.

Though with the global economic climate (Id be interested in seeing the cost of TV ad space compared to a year ago) things may get a little tougher. Even the all powerful NFL have been laying people off.

Now with this news and the Vodaphone news, what we finally need to further push English cricket to financial desperation is to get cricket on terrestrial TV and away from Skys dirty millions as some would have 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy, while obviously the money in the present is important, aren't you sacrificing your future for the present by denying the majority of the English public to tune into a Test match?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy, while obviously the money in the present is important, aren't you sacrificing your future for the present by denying the majority of the English public to tune into a Test match?
It always had a minority audience, it is often on when people are at work or school, the domestic stations didnt want it, Sky gives access to a quality and quantity of cricket we have never had before and gives a massive pot load of cash to the ECB for the honor.

As long as highlights are available on terrestrial TV then cricket fans have never had it so good.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I really hope the ECB get their Twenty20 tournament off the ground so they no longer have to rely on these opportunists.