• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia and England 10 years ago...

Kenny

U19 Debutant
For interests sake, these are the sides that played in the first test at Old Trafford, June 3-7, 1993.......

Australia:
M.Taylor
M.Slater
D.Boon
M.Waugh
A.Border (c)
S.Waugh
I.Healy
B.Julian
M.Hughes
S.Warne
C.McDermott

England:
G.Gooch (c)
M.Atherton
M.Gatting
R.Smith
G.Hick
A.Stewart
C.Lewis
P.DeFreitas
A.Caddick
P.Such
P.Tufnell

A few forgotten names there, eh?

Brendon Julian, tall left arm fast medium, Big Merv, Robin Smith (whatever happened to him), Chris Lewis, touted as 'the next Botham'...............

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jullian played for australia as recently as 3 seasons ago, of course hes no retired.
I dont think big merv will ever be forgotten in australian cricket circles, what a hero.
even made a guest appearance for the mighty comets in their first season.

vicpride29

Cricket Spectator
The aussies were a good side then but not great, who has made Australia great you think. Hayden, Langer, Martyn, who

Kenny

U19 Debutant
broncoman said:
jullian played for australia as recently as 3 seasons ago, of course hes no retired.
I dont think big merv will ever be forgotten in australian cricket circles, what a hero.
even made a guest appearance for the mighty comets in their first season.
Julian played for Australia in what, 99/00, or 00/01?
I dont recall that.........I thought his last test was in 95 in the carribean?

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Re: Re: Australia and England 10 years ago...

marc71178 said:
Anyone who could score 20 and pick up a wicket was touted as the new Botham!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:
In hindsight, I think you're right.......

Bazza

International 12th Man
Robin Smith is still going strong for Hampshire. He played 62 tests and 71 ODIs but was dropped in 1996. I always felt he should have been persevered with longer, especially when we went to WI in 1998 - he was always good against pace.

Averaged 43 in tests and 39 in ODIs and holds the record for the highest score by an Englishman in ODIs with 167*.

Simon

Kenny said:
Julian played for Australia in what, 99/00, or 00/01?
I dont recall that.........I thought his last test was in 95 in the carribean?
Jullian played for Autsralia at the 1999 world cup, and he played the season after here in Aus i believe.
As far as tests go, i think 1995 would have been it for him.
he only played a couple anyway didnt he?

Kenny

U19 Debutant
broncoman said:
Jullian played for Autsralia at the 1999 world cup, and he played the season after here in Aus i believe.
As far as tests go, i think 1995 would have been it for him.
he only played a couple anyway didnt he?
Jeez I can't remeber BJ at the '99 world cup - I remember Tom Moody being the principal all rounder.........Oh well, I'll take your word for it!

I think he played about 7 tests - 2 or 3 in England '93 mainly cos McDermott got injured, and all four in the Windies series in '95.

Top_Cat

Jeez I can't remeber BJ at the '99 world cup - I remember Tom Moody being the principal all rounder.........Oh well, I'll take your word for it!
I think he played the first two games in the 1999 WC. Tomy Moody came into his own against Bangladesh (three wickets and a 21-ball 50; great). In fact, the Aussie campaign was kick-started in that match when they finally decided to take their opposition and the WC seriously.

Averaged 43 in tests and 39 in ODIs and holds the record for the highest score by an Englishman in ODIs with 167*.
I watched every ball of that innings and it still ranks as one of the most brutal pieces of power hitting Ive seen, particularly once he passed 100. He savaged Paul Reiffel. Incidentally, that happened on the 1993 tour too.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Top_Cat said:
I watched every ball of that innings and it still ranks as one of the most brutal pieces of power hitting Ive seen, particularly once he passed 100. He savaged Paul Reiffel. Incidentally, that happened on the 1993 tour too.
Wish I'd been around to see Judgy standing up to those brutal WI pace attacks of the early 90s. It certainly seems he did a better job than most, judging (!) by the scorecards...

19 35 5 1333 175 148* 109 44.43 3 8

Smith's record against WI - played almost a third of his tests against them scoring 8x50s and 3x100s. Actually he was very consistent against all opponents, and didn't get any easy opponents like a Zimbabwe or Bangladesh! Makes his record seem rather impressive.

I mean if I pointed out that Graham Gooch averaged 44 against WI (albeit in 26 tests from late 70s to early 90s - geez that must have been a scary time to be a test match batsman!), it puts it into perspective a bit.