• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Champions Twenty20 League***

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
In what way?
Wanting overseas players just to spite the competing sides and its stance with Middlesex, who even with a full side would get smashed. I think the tournament is a great concept but lets try and play it on a level playing field. And from a commercial point of view surely allowing the Dolphins to field Jayasuriya would be economically more viable then some no mark from Stanger?

I can just see now some idiots saying after watching the non-IPL sides, “bit **** these other sides, init?”
8-)

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Wanting overseas players just to spite the competing sides and its stance with Middlesex, who even with a full side would get smashed. I think the tournament is a great concept but lets try and play it on a level playing field. And from a commercial point of view surely allowing the Dolphins to field Jayasuriya would be economically more viable then some no mark from Stanger?
I agree with this, the state sides should be allowed to pick two international stars atleast, as not only is it a good idea to from a marketing POV but it would also stregthen these state sides a bit more and would allow them to compete with the IPL sides a lot more who have the luxury of having 4 foreign players, apart rom that even in case of Mitch Johnson, he made a move from QLD to WA at the end of the season, but wasn't allowed to participate in this tournament because he wasn't the part of their set-up last season, i mean who cares about that he is now a part of the WA side so he should be playing for them in this tournament.

A side like say... Victoria is pretty world class in this format even without any foreign players, but other sides would not have the luxury of having the kind of players Victoria have, even Western Australia to some have a strong batting line-up with Marsh, Ronchi (if it comes of for him, he is as dangerous as anyone), Pomersbach, North and on recent form even Doropolous, having seen him lately one can surely say he can hit the long ball at the death of an innings.

But sides like Sialkot, Middlesex, the South African sides (Dolphins and Titans) might just end up looking a bit out of their depth especially playing in alien Indian conditions, so the orgainsers might have to do some re-thinking about their rules in this regard.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with this, the state sides should be allowed to pick two international stars atleast, as not only is it a good idea to from a marketing POV but it would also stregthen these state sides a bit more and would allow them to compete with the IPL sides a lot more who have the luxury of having 4 foreign players, apart rom that even in case of Mitch Johnson, he made a move from QLD to WA at the end of the season, but wasn't allowed to participate in this tournament because he wasn't the part of their set-up last season, i mean who cares about that he is now a part of the WA side so he should be playing for them in this tournament.

A side like say... Victoria is pretty world class in this format even without any foreign players, but other sides would not have the luxury of having the kind of players Victoria have, even Western Australia to some have a strong batting line-up with Marsh, Ronchi (if it comes of for him, he is as dangerous as anyone), Pomersbach, North and on recent form even Doropolous, having seen him lately one can surely say he can hit the long ball at the death of an innings.

But sides like Sialkot, Middlesex, the South African sides (Dolphins and Titans) might just end up looking a bit out of their depth especially playing in alien Indian conditions, so the orgainsers might have to do some re-thinking about their rules in this regard.
The Titans at full strength would be alongside the Aussie sides the favorites for mine…

AB
Bodi
van Jaarsveld
Faf
Behardien
van der Merwe
Albie
Joubert
Steyn
Morne
Tahir

Two huge hitters in Albie and van der Merwe, class in AB and van Jaarsveld, two strike bowlers in Morne and Steyn and a good spinner in Tahir. All the resonates of a good 20/20 side who would do well in any conditions...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Rajasthan vs Victoria final would be immense. Hope 10 cover it, though seems unlikely.
Imagine a Sialkot vs Chennai final though. Deja Vu. Misbah doesn't play for Sialkot by any chance, does he? :p

Anyway, I hope the Royals mess up big time. I have no support for the love child of Modi's ego.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
The Titans at full strength would be alongside the Aussie sides the favorites for mine…

AB
Bodi
van Jaarsveld
Faf
Behardien
van der Merwe
Albie
Joubert
Steyn
Morne
Tahir

Two huge hitters in Albie and van der Merwe, class in AB and van Jaarsveld, two strike bowlers in Morne and Steyn and a good spinner in Tahir. All the resonates of a good 20/20 side who would do well in any conditions...
Still won't hurt to have two foreign international cricketers in there would it....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It'll end up being one giant circlejerk for Indian cricket. Well done! You won a tournament with next to no Indian players! Who gives a ****?

Would love for one of the non-IPL sides to win the ****en thing to stick it right up them.

Is it being broadcasted in Australia?
Agreed. The IPL clubs would be royally stuffed by the likes of Victoria, Western Australia and the Titans but they have made the competition so much in favour of themselves that it’s a bit of a farce.

I can just see now some idiots saying after watching the non-IPL sides, “bit **** these other sides, init?”
8-)
****, I have nothing to add

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

8-)
So who decides which player gets priority for whom? Should Murali Karthik play for an IPL side?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For the record, I hope this whole 20/20 craze replaces ODIs, and we no longer have 20/20 internationals either.

International Test cricket + club 20/20 cricket. Would be best of all worlds for me. I can ignore the club cricket, and international tours will be real cricket only. Maybe with a 20/20 WC thrown in every 4 years.

It would be awesome. So that's the main reason I'm rooting for this.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So who decides which player gets priority for whom? Should Murali Karthik play for an IPL side?
Look, it's a reasonable point you make. About a year ago I was going to make a thread suggesting a cricketing CL but thought to myself, nah, couldn't work, too many players who play for multiple sides.

I think the thing is that the IPL manufactured it into the contracts that they get priority, it seems a little underhand to me now, as I think the CL must have been planned all along and that was what was in their thoughts. I may have the facts wrong about the contracts, so feel free to correct me

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Look, it's a reasonable point you make. About a year ago I was going to make a thread suggesting a cricketing CL but thought to myself, nah, couldn't work, too many players who play for multiple sides.

I think the thing is that the IPL manufactured it into the contracts that they get priority, it seems a little underhand to me now, as I think the CL must have been planned all along and that was what was in their thoughts. I may have the facts wrong about the contracts, so feel free to correct me
I think Modi was actually clear from the beginning about the CL. I agree regarding the playing field really. My point was not to say that IPL should always get priority no matter what.

I think there should be some sort of scheme built in, that if the contracts conflict, a team can bid for the services of that player. Or, players should, when negotiating their contracts with IPL or Dophins or Middlesex, explicitly negotiate for who they want to play for in case of such conflicts. Maybe it means they'll get less money from one of the two for doing so, but then it'd be up to the players and no one would have any issues when the time came up.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Hussey was free to choose between Chennai and WA. Had he chosen WA, Chennai would have been paid $200,000 by the CL. He chose Chennai, and WA were paid $200,000 by the CL.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Hussey was free to choose between Chennai and WA. Had he chosen WA, Chennai would have been paid $200,000 by the CL. He chose Chennai, and WA were paid $200,000 by the CL. Stop wasting your time nitpicking.
8-)

Craig

World Traveller
What makes you think that there would be any vacant middle order slots, Watson and White are the two blokes who might have their spots come under the scanner, and i guess if Watto doesn't do anything with either bat or ball in the remaining of the 4th test he might make way for Symonds to comeback into the side irrespective of his domestic form, and i think Clark would come in for White, so really can't see Hodge or Hussey being in contention, and anyways they both have been named in the Victorian squad so they are sure to play in this tournament.

Yeah Victoria start as the favourites for me too, they are pretty strong T20 unit, so i expect them to do pretty well.
I said if there was an injury, as I can not read the Australian selectors minds I have no idea what way they will go. They called up Adam Voges when Damien Martyn retired when everybody thought it would have been Brad Hodge.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Murali’s IPL franchise, Kolkata didn’t make it so there is no issue but if they did, Murali is Indian and he would play for his Indian side if Middlesex were allowed to sign a replacement overseas player.

Chennai overseas players are Haydos, Hussey, Ntini, Murali, Fleming, Oram, Kapugedera and Albie Morkel. Whilst losing Albie would be a loss its not like they can’t call upon anyone else to fill the void, if the Titans lose Albie they can’t replace him with another international all-rounder, Chennai can and for that reason domestic clubs should have first pick.

Also Jaipur overseas players are Warne, Smith, Tanvir, Watson, Lehmann, Langer, Akmal, Younis Khan, Mascarenhas and Morne Morkel. Warne, Smith, Watson and Tanvir are first choice so Morne would only be bench warming anyhow.

Let's make it fair man!

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chennai with Hussey, Hayden and Oram are a powerhouse side. Wouldn't be surprised to see them win this whole thing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Murali’s IPL franchise, Kolkata didn’t make it so there is no issue but if they did, Murali is Indian and he would play for his Indian side if Middlesex were allowed to sign a replacement overseas player.
Don't like this nationalistic rule TBH. It's club cricket, not international. Nationality (IMO) should not play a role.

Let's make it fair man!
No problem with making it fair. But I think it should be based on something else than nationality. As mentioned above, maybe a bidding match for the player between the clubs, and/or having explicit contracts in the future that spell out commitments. If a player wants to play for Middlesex (for example), he can have that put into his IPL contract. He may get less IPL money since he wouldn't represent the club in the CL, but at least it would be up to the player what he wants. Middlesex could do the same when signing players. I'd be fine with that.