• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Champions Twenty20 League***

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't like this nationalistic rule TBH. It's club cricket, not international. Nationality (IMO) should not play a role.

No problem with making it fair. But I think it should be based on something else than nationality. As mentioned above, maybe a bidding match for the player between the clubs, and/or having explicit contracts in the future that spell out commitments. If a player wants to play for Middlesex (for example), he can have that put into his IPL contract. He may get less IPL money since he wouldn't represent the club in the CL, but at least it would be up to the player what he wants. Middlesex could do the same when signing players. I'd be fine with that.
Bit different in the case of the IPL sides because they signed those players and did not produce them but the Titans/Easterns cricket did produce and nurture the Morkel Brothers thus I feel they should have first pick. They can lease them to the IPL sides for a fee but even that’s ridiculous because you cutting off your nose to spite your own face. South African sides can’t economically compete with their IPL counterparts so the bidding war or what have is completely illogical.

Also you may not like the nationalism part but the Titans and Dolphins will be representing South Africa and the IPL sides will be representing India, even if their best players are not Indian...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
A lack of a spinner should hurt Victoria; I fancy Dave Hussey spin to be more effective than Cam White’s but they have good batting line-up, good mixture of test class batsman and then some ridiculously big hitters of the ball. Pace attack also looks pretty decent as well.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also you may not like the nationalism part but the Titans and Dolphins will be representing South Africa and the IPL sides will be representing India, even if their best players are not Indian...
I think the Titans will be representing the Titans and Dolphins the Dolphins. I don't think the Royals winning or losing has any affect on Indian cricket or anything like that. I don't see them representing 'India' at all. They are representing the IPL. Significant difference in my opinion.

To further that point, I would pretty much always support India in cricket and want them to win in a tournament. In this case, I couldn't care less if it was someone else. In fact, I might be rooting for Middlesex or the Dolphins or someone else. I'm not really rooting against India - in this case, nations don't and shouldn't have anything to do with it. It's club cricket. It wouldn't disappoint me in the slightest if Victoria won the whole thing.

Bit different in the case of the IPL sides because they signed those players and did not produce them but the Titans/Easterns cricket did produce and nurture the Morkel Brothers thus I feel they should have first pick.
It's a business. Morkel was produced by the Titans, and if he wants to forego the extra money and insist on a contract that allows him to play for the Titans, so be it.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
A lack of a spinner should hurt Victoria; I fancy Dave Hussey spin to be more effective than Cam White’s but they have good batting line-up, good mixture of test class batsman and then some ridiculously big hitters of the ball. Pace attack also looks pretty decent as well.
Hussey, Hodge and White so they have decent enough spin options for the T20 format imo, but would have been great for them had McGain not been injured, but still are a very strong T20 side.

Precambrian

Banned
Bit different in the case of the IPL sides because they signed those players and did not produce them but the Titans/Easterns cricket did produce and nurture the Morkel Brothers thus I feel they should have first pick. They can lease them to the IPL sides for a fee but even that’s ridiculous because you cutting off your nose to spite your own face. South African sides can’t economically compete with their IPL counterparts so the bidding war or what have is completely illogical.

Cannot agree with you. If my comprehesion of what you are trying to say is right, then SA have a right over Kevin Peitersen, because it was there he made his first steps in cricket.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Cannot agree with you. If my comprehesion of what you are trying to say is right, then SA have a right over Kevin Peitersen, because it was there he made his first steps in cricket.
It’s not. It is pretty elementary, the Morkel Brothers. play for the Titans so they should represent the Titans.

pup11

International Coach
It’s not. It is pretty elementary, the Morkel Brothers. play for the Titans so they should represent the Titans.
Albie Morkel is going to be playing for CSK right, i mean any player who has to choose between his state side or IPL franchise should play for his franchise as the franchise then pays that player' state side a pretty hefty sum to let that player play for their franchise, so in that way everybody is happy as everybody gets something out of it.

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, first the teams refuse to come, now they want to be compensated? Ridiculous.
Hang on, from what little I know, the country boards decided to cancel and it is the state boards (Vic + WA) that are unhappy with the cost of their national board's (CA) decision.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Hang on, from what little I know, the country boards decided to cancel and it is the state boards (Vic + WA) that are unhappy with the cost of their national board's (CA) decision.
Ah, okay. Might have confused this with Warne and Ponting's remarks then.

Precambrian

Banned
Seems that for the 2009 they have to requalify again. So in all fairness they deserve compensation from the home board.