• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current pecking order?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah McKay is definitely one to keep an eye on, Geeves is up there too.
Can't agree with Geeves. He could pass in ODI's, but not test quality at all.

Can't see any reason why Nannes couldn't play for Australia if selected seeing as though Eoin Morgan switched to England.
Yea, but i think Morgan like Ed Joyce before him had to qualify over a period of time.

But then again he got picked for ENGs ODI team, only A month after representng Ireland. So i guess qualification rules only applies for test matches & not for associate team players. A bit confusing.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Siddle would be second because of developmental reasons. He's seen as the future of the attack. Bollinger would be ahead of Nannes (talking Tests of course) and I think by getting selected Hilfenhaus has shown he's ahead of Clark though that can change pretty quickly and I think Clark is only one good match away from going right near the top.
Well yea. But the reason i layed them out like that is well i'm not 100% looking long-term. Just the Ashes & the home summer vs PAK & hopefully a strong WI. But overall your right.

On Bollinger ahead of Nannes. Well looking on what i've seen of them since SA where in AUS. I'd say Nannes should have played test cricket before Bollinger, even though Bollinger was in & around the squad for the majority of 2008.

Given that i hadn't seen him bowl until the IPL, i am surprised not many of your Australia's weren't really calling for him to be picked in either format (except T20s). He could have been superb in the tests in SA i feel.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't see any reason why Nannes couldn't play for Australia if selected seeing as though Eoin Morgan switched to England.
Nannes could play for Oz tomorrow if selected. Playing for associates in full limited overs internationals doesn't affect qualification for test nations. Only thing it would mean is he couldn't play for Middlesex (or whichever county) as a non-overseas player, but then he hasn't returned this year anyway, for whatever reason.

Like him a lot, actually. Swings it at pace and one of the more interesting blokes to play the game.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Vettori IIRR didn't disgrace himself early career.
Daniel Vettori is a strange case. From 1997-2003, he was actually quite good. But then he entered a terrible form slump and has only really gone back to his best sporadically (Bangladesh excluded) ever since. Usually spinners improve as they age (or so the tale goes).

Mushtaq Ahmed (who was excellent mid-career but mediocre to diabolical at all other times) and Stuart MacGill (who peaked before 2000) are other exceptions.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FTR...
Johnson
Lee
Clark
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger
Nannes
Noffke
Tait
Magoffin
McKay

For one-day cricket, Bracken, Geeves and Bird should come into contention.

FTR, this is my opinion, not the selectors. :p

Jakester1288

International Regular
FTR...
Johnson
Lee
Clark
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger
Nannes
Noffke
Tait
Magoffin
McKay

For one-day cricket, Bracken, Geeves and Bird should come into contention.

FTR, this is my opinion, not the selectors. :p
So you don't rate any of Australia's spinners? You don't rate Hopes for ODI's? Australia shouldn't have a spinner. Australia A shouldn't have a spinner. Australia B shouldn't have a spinner. 3 bowlers into Australia C shouldn't have a spinner.

Not to mention ODI cricket. Australia, Australia A, Australia B and Australia C shouldn't have a spinner.

Is this your opinion?

Jakester1288

International Regular
Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Clark
Lee
Bollinger

After that isn't really important. That's just my opinion on it. Hopes and Bracken are high up the order for limited overs cricket.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Clark
Lee
Bollinger

After that isn't really important. That's just my opinion on it. Hopes and Bracken are high up the order for limited overs cricket.
Why isn't it important?

All it takes is an injury, retirement, loss of form and someone else will be going on tours with Australia, that makes it fairly important for mine.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tait got a CA contract didn't he?
He didn't initially, but Tait ended up getting a contract after Symonds lost his.

Tait isn't really a realistic option for Test Cricket at this stage but he's in the mix for ODI and T20.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Why isn't it important?
Because we won't go down that low very often.

At the moment, we have an attack of Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Siddle and Hauritz.

Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

Clark
Lee
Bollinger

The bolded players are the ones we are using. If we were using 4 quicks, then we would need another player after Bollinger. But with 3 players, in cover, and Watson and McDonald as well, we have plenty of bowlers.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lee's not playing because he's injured. If he was fit he'd be 2nd in the pecking order, not 5th.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Because we won't go down that low very often.

At the moment, we have an attack of Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Siddle and Hauritz.

Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

Clark
Lee
Bollinger

The bolded players are the ones we are using. If we were using 4 quicks, then we would need another player after Bollinger. But with 3 players, in cover, and Watson and McDonald as well, we have plenty of bowlers.
Thanks for the insight Jake. :dry:

I don't know about you but I find it interesting to see who's on the rise and who is falling. Look at the first few posts in this thread and see how much the order has changed within the past year.

Also if you are trying to work out who should get a CA contract you need more then 6 pace bowlers.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Thanks for the insight Jake. :dry:

I don't know about you but I find it interesting to see who's on the rise and who is falling. Look at the first few posts in this thread and see how much the order has changed within the past year.

Also if you are trying to work out who should get a CA contract you need more then 6 pace bowlers.
I feel the same, it is really interesting watching how quick a bowler can fall off the radar (Noffke) whilst another (McKay) in the space of one season can launch up the ranks.

Look at a cricketer like Laughlin, last year only the Queensland followers would have heard about this lad; after 1 incredible ODD season he is playing for Australia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I feel the same, it is really interesting watching how quick a bowler can fall off the radar (Noffke) whilst another (McKay) in the space of one season can launch up the ranks.

Look at a cricketer like Laughlin, last year only the Queensland followers would have heard about this lad; after 1 incredible ODD season he is playing for Australia.
That really was a idiot selection. Given that Nannes was available...