• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current pecking order?

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
As good as Nannes is, I can't see any benefit having an uncapped 34 year old as a fringe player. Way better off having the fringe player as an up and commer like Laughlin or McKay.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
As good as Nannes is, I can't see any benefit having an uncapped 34 year old as a fringe player. Way better off having the fringe player as an up and commer like Laughlin or McKay.
But Nannes is way better than those two. Age aint an issue, AUS called up Colin Miller in PAK 98 because he was the best off-spinner in the country & for a good few years he was very solid.

Even if Nannes plays for a year or two, thats good enough. He definately should be in the T20team without question.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
But Nannes is way better than those two. Age aint an issue, AUS called up Colin Miller in PAK 98 because he was the best off-spinner in the country & for a good few years he was very solid.

Even if Nannes plays for a year or two, thats good enough. He definately should be in the T20team without question.
Maybe, but he definetly shouldn't be carrying the drinks in the 50 over games

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha @ the assertion that not picking Nannes in ODIs is a "risk".

God some players get over-rated on this board for no particular reason sometimes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haha @ the assertion that not picking Nannes in ODIs is a "risk".

God some players get over-rated on this board for no particular reason sometimes.
How is that assertion overrating Nannes?. He is good enough to play in the ODI team clearly. But he just cant leapfrog Lee, Johnson, Siddle, Hilfy, Bracken, Tait ATM. Thats all.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Because all of them are equally competent ODI bowlers. Plus given Nannes age, the selectors most likely won't want to pick him short term.

But T20s is a different beast, he clearly is AUS best T20 bowler ATM. Thus is a must pick in the future in this format.

pup11

International Coach
Johnson
Lee
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Clark
Bollinger
Geeves
Magoffin
McKay

This what I think the current pecking order is, or atleast this in the order in which the selectors rate the current crop of fast bowlers, haven't named Nannes, Noffke or Tait in there, because I believe the selectors don't have them in their scheme of things as far as test cricket is concerned, for various reasons.

I think Clark has slipped down a fair bit in that pecking order, after a poor tour of India and then that elbow injury, the selectors seem to have lost a bit of faith in him, and if he fails to resurrect his career during the Ashes series, then he might be at the risk of fading away from international cricket.

Moving on, I agree with what aussie is saying about Nannes, but tbh he really doesn't offer anything vastly different in comparison to other young Australian fast bowlers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So over the past week or so I've seen about 15 names who should either be in the Australian team or the A team. So what's everyone's current Aussie pace bowling pecking order? Tests obvs..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So over the past week or so I've seen about 15 names who should either be in the Australian team or the A team. So what's everyone's current Aussie pace bowling pecking order? Tests obvs..
Do you want us to guess what we think the pecking order is, or put on our selectors' hats and make our own?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Either/or mate. Maybe a top 10.
1. Siddle
2. Hilfenhaus
3. Pattinson
4. Starc
5. Harris
6. Bollinger
7. Butterworth
8. Cummins
9. Coulter-Nile
10. Copeland/Bird/McDermott/Haze if he can string a few games together/cbf deciding/anyone who isn't Cutting

That's just my personal one; in reality Cummins would be a lot higher and Bollinger/Butterworth wouldn't be anywhere near the list. I've gone off the idea of a genuine pecking order of late anyway though - at least when you have a lot of bowlers of a similar quality, which I think applies to Australia at the moment. Picking the blokes who compliment each other the best, work with the pitch the best and are fit/firing at the time works well if you've got proper depth.

Last edited:

VCC44

School Boy/Girl Captain
1. Siddle
2. Hilfenhaus
3. Pattinson
4. Starc
5. Harris
6. Bollinger
7. Butterworth
8. Cummins
9. Coulter-Nile
10. Copeland/Bird/McDermott/Haze if he can string a few games together/cbf deciding/anyone who isn't Cutting

That's just my personal one; in reality Cummins would be a lot higher and Bollinger/Butterworth wouldn't be anywhere near the list. I've gone off the idea of a genuine pecking order of late anyway though - at least when you have a lot of bowlers of a similar quality, which I think applies to Australia at the moment. Pecking the blokes who compliment each other the best, work with the pitch the best and are fit/firing at the time works well if you've got proper depth.
Always think it's best not to peck at your quick bowlers, can lead to injuries.:D

Justo

U19 Debutant
My list.

1. Ryan Harris
2. Peter Siddle
3. Ben Hilfenhaus
4. James Pattinson
5. Mitchell Starc
6. Luke Butterworth
7. Pat Cummins
8. Ben Cutting
9. Alister McDermott
10. Jackson Bird
11. Nathan Coulter-Nile
12. Trent Copeland
13. James Faulkner
14. Josh Hazelwood
15. Doug Bollinger
16. Clint McKay
17. John Hastings
18. Gary Putland
19. Luke Feldman
20. Jayde Herrick
21. Peter George
22. Ryan Duffield

49. Scott Coyte
50. Mitchell Johnson

I haven't included any genuine all-rounders(Hopes, Watson, Henriquez, McDonald, Mitchell Marsh, Dan Christian etc) since they usually don't bare the full work load of the other bowlers.

Anyone from 6-10 in that list is interchangeable IMO. Not alot between them. Could probably even extend that to 15 tbh.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you want us to guess what we think the pecking order is, or put on our selectors' hats and make our own?
To be honest I think you could easily get 10 different lists of the top 4 for the SA series on here and still be wrong. Australia have some good depth in the pace attack but the selectors seem unsure of which is their best unit as well. Always handy though to have good replacements waiting in the wings.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Four or five years ago I had Siddle down at 10, geez.

my top 12
1. Peter Siddle
2. James Pattinson
3. Ben Hilfenhaus
4. Ryan Harris
5. Mitchell Starc
6. Patrick Cummins
7. Shane Watson
8. Doug Bollinger
9. John Hastings
10. Josh Hazlewood
11. Nathan Coulter-Nile
12. Ben Cutting

The last three spots probably don't exactly deserve a spot if you go solely by averages compared to say the Tassie duo of Bird or Butterworth, but I'm still happy enough to include them as IMO they have more to them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tipping Siddle to revert back to **** again this Summer ftr.
It's more likely Hilfenhaus will IMO. Even when Siddle was supposedly bowling **** in the Ashes at home he was still by far our best bowler (Harris aside who only played one match) and actually took wickets throughout the series; we just had absolutely nothing beyond him so he needed to be on the whole time, and he regrettably wasn't. His biggest crime was sending down crap for Australia A against the Zimbabwe Select XI, and I think he can be forgiven for that.

There's every chance Hilfenhaus will be crap even when people think he's bowling well, which is the real worry.

Quietly confident in both though, at least for this summer.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Siddle
2. Pattinson
3. Hilfenhaus
4. Starc
5. Cummins
6. Harris
7. Bird
8. NCN
9. McDermott
10. Butterworth