• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Now a 9 Run Hit

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am not surprised at all. These guys who run these twenty -twenty cricket have long ago come to the conclusion that the people who constitute the bulk of their paying public are not cricket lovers as we understand them but "tamasha"-Lovers.

And they also believe that nothing is sacrosanct. The fans just want fun and frolic and any innovations are only going to add to the same.

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and we both felt that there is a very strong possibility that cricket as the game we knew even ten years ago will disappear from the face of the planet in another generation or two.

Of course we feel what will replace it will be ephemeral in the sense that it will not last too but by then it will be too late to go back to the original game.

I know this sounds very far-fetched and dramatically over the board, but think without any pre-conceived notions, think about who is running the game today and what is their main motivation and you will find that this is not an impossible scenario.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What I have as my signature and which was commented (very positively) on by some people on CW, could be considered laughable thirty years down the line. This is possible.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This sort of nonsense is the big danger of 20/20 - any more rule change predictions from anyone??
Completely agree. T20 is still cricket, just condensed and faster.

Gimmicks dont work and devalue the game.

There are a lot of things that I would rather see changed first in T20 ahead of the scoring system. Some have been mentioned already, but in T20 5 ball overs, no LBW and cant be out first ball wouldnt change the nature of the game close to how the scoring system would. Though obviously I rather it all remain the same.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I am not surprised at all. These guys who run these twenty -twenty cricket have long ago come to the conclusion that the people who constitute the bulk of their paying public are not cricket lovers as we understand them but "tamasha"-Lovers.

And they also believe that nothing is sacrosanct. The fans just want fun and frolic and any innovations are only going to add to the same.

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and we both felt that there is a very strong possibility that cricket as the game we knew even ten years ago will disappear from the face of the planet in another generation or two.

Of course we feel what will replace it will be ephemeral in the sense that it will not last too but by then it will be too late to go back to the original game.

I know this sounds very far-fetched and dramatically over the board, but think without any pre-conceived notions, think about who is running the game today and what is their main motivation and you will find that this is not an impossible scenario.
What do you mean by 'these guys who run twenty20 cricket' ? The ICL is not the sole arbitrator of the laws of the shortest format of cricket. Paintbrush, tar....

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No chance of that, the run hungry 20/20 brigade would be more likely to make it that one-handed catches don't count at all.
A quandary for the legislators there as spectacular catches are entertaining and to be encouraged - perhaps they could introduce a bonus for the fielding side for a one handed catch? - a few runs or extra deliveries perhaps

Love the bowling machine suggestion - says it all really

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
To be frank, they've effectively been outlawed by some of the games big wigs, so they can do whatever the **** they like with their competition, and if it entertains the kids at the grounds, good on them.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Haha, how long before we get Home Runs and hotdog vendors? Although the muppets that support this awful form of the game will probably lap these new and exciting rules up..

Langeveldt

Soutie

Totally agreed.. to the extent where we have cancelled our sports TV subscriptions during the cricket months and now only use it for rugby.. When we get sides that go for a year or two without playing test match cricket, it's time to up sticks and go and watch something more interesting..

At the moment it makes test cricket something to look forward to and even more valuable, but it won't be around for long in many countries..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The more silly rules put into Twenty20 games and independent cricket leagues the better IMO... makes it more and more un-cricket-like, which is the way it works best for mine... Twenty20, as I've said so many times, is for the most part cricket for people who don't like cricket, even if the odd few real cricket fans are also included in the crowd. And the ICL is, well, a gimmick competition.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The more silly rules put into Twenty20 games and independent cricket leagues the better IMO... makes it more and more un-cricket-like, which is the way it works best for mine... Twenty20, as I've said so many times, is for the most part cricket for people who don't like cricket, even if the odd few real cricket fans are also included in the crowd. And the ICL is, well, a gimmick competition.
How's the weather up there?

Langeveldt

Soutie
How's the weather up there?
Nah he's got a point.. I've definitely noticed that during T20 matches in the UK the crowd seem to have been hand picked from the local football club, and in South Africa they are mainly made of drunken girls (Which is why I've been caught watching Pro20 occasionally).. If you like cricket, why do you need a hot tub/bouncy castle/dunker/dancing girls/DJ? Seems like they are worried about the drones getting bored..

Craig

World Traveller
Nah he's got a point.. I've definitely noticed that during T20 matches in the UK the crowd seem to have been hand picked from the local football club, and in South Africa they are mainly made of drunken girls (Which is why I've been caught watching Pro20 occasionally).. If you like cricket, why do you need a hot tub/bouncy castle/dunker/dancing girls/DJ? Seems like they are worried about the drones getting bored..
Interesting. With such uncertainty in my job, I think it is time I went to South Africa for a holiday.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
Oh God!! what crazy rules..........big chances for people like Chris Gayle and Yuvraj Singh.............

Long back I have heard about indoor cricket......and there was a crazy rule ie if the batsmen hit the ball on the roof they will get some big score ( not sure whether it is 6,9 or 100:laugh: ).......i am not sure whether the indoor game is played or not:unsure:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Oh God!! what crazy rules..........big chances for people like Chris Gayle and Yuvraj Singh.............

Long back I have heard about indoor cricket......and there was a crazy rule ie if the batsmen hit the ball on the roof they will get some big score ( not sure whether it is 6,9 or 100:laugh: ).......i am not sure whether the indoor game is played or not:unsure:
Yes. It was 12 runs. Here is Afridi hitting a 12'er :) in the Power League Tournament

Last edited: