• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think Brad Haddin will be as a good a test batsman as Gilchrist ?

How do you rate Brad Haddin as a test batsman ?

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rubbish, current standard of bowling is the worst cricket has seen in eons

There is literally only one bowler WORLDWIDE who falls into the excellent category (never mind great) and that is a seriously in decline Murali. Every other highly rated bowler is either in terminal decline or the jury is still out

Pick a year but say 2002/3

You had Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Murali, Vaas, Pollock, Ntini, Harby, Kumble Akhtar and that's just off the top of my head

Woodster

International Captain
It was not just how many runs Gilchrist compiled but the exhilarating style he did it in that set him apart from many keeper/batsman/cricketers of the past, and indeed the consistency he found batting in such a way. Regardless of the situation he would either counter-attack when Australia were in trouble or simply compound the misery of the opposition and extend Australia's dominance.

Haddin, from what I have seen, has a very different style. He appears to still want to be positive but in a much more orthodox way. His technique is good and keeping has been of a decent standard from what I have seen. I like the look if him and believe he will go on and carve out a successful Test career. He may not surpass Gilchrist's achievements, but he will prove a very useful number 7 for Australia.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Haddin could end up better than Rod Marsh anyway, and that should surely be enough for him to be rated ahead of Gilchrist. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rubbish, current standard of bowling is the worst cricket has seen in eons

There is literally only one bowler WORLDWIDE who falls into the excellent category (never mind great) and that is a seriously in decline Murali. Every other highly rated bowler is either in terminal decline or the jury is still out

Pick a year but say 2002/3

You had Warne, McGrath, Gillespie, Murali, Vaas, Pollock, Ntini, Harby, Kumble Akhtar and that's just off the top of my head
If the jury's still out then by definition we can't really say how good the standard is in 2008 until a few years down the line. Yes?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think a more interesting question would have been..

Do you think Brad Haddin will be as good a test batsman as Dhoni ?

I've got a bet with Prince on this..

pup11

International Coach
Haddin is a very good batsman and his keeping if anything better when compared to Gilly' glove-work in recent times, of course he would never be as good as Gilly, but he surely has the ability to make a name of his own.

Now that would only happen if clears his mind and plays the way he has played for NSW season after season, he would be fine as long as he doesn't try to match Gilly and stays true to himself and his abilities, then he would do a very good job for Australia with both bat and gloves.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Harbhajan and Kumble at home are arguably the greatest spin duo for last 20-30 years. In India, the 2 of them are more than enough to win games on their own, and thats why India have been so difficult to beat in their own backyard.

IMO, if scoring runs against Australia is the barometer for any batsman playing cricket to separate him from good to great then for the Aussies who do not get to play themselves, scoring runs in India against Kumble and Harbhajan should be the standard for any Australian player. The Aussies themselves have recognized this by terming the tour to India as 'the Final Frontier' and many have said that they consider winning in India to be more important than winning the Ashes. By this standard, Gilchrist has failed. .
Spin, until Flintoff exposed his weakness of bowlers coming around the wicket to him was always his achillies heel. So Its pretty rough to say Gilchrist has failed in India when he played two superb innings in this two tours there i.e mumbai 01 & bangalore 04.

In 2001 like Ponting, had a weird remainder of the series againts the guile of Harbhajan but he didn't exactly look out of form. While outside the big hundred in Bangalore 04, he certainly imroved his game againts spin a great deal. His second his 49 in the Chennai test for all those who saw it would agree.

So i can't agree Gilchrist was failure in India.

Few players can play that innings, and that innings was special. However special innings dont equal a special player. There are plenty of very average/good players around the world who have put in special performances over the years. Vaughan is one. Laxman is another. Astle is one more.Depending on how you rate Hick's 178, he could be another. It doesnt mean that any of them are great players.
I see where you are going with this. That Gilly wasn't a average player of spin & it is well proven by the fact the behind those three super hundreds in the sub-continent he follows that up with a string of low scores. All true as i just mentioned spin was his achillies heel that was well known.

However, all of this is irrelevant to the Gilchrist discussion as we are essentially talking about the attack that Gilchrist played between 2005-2007 as opposed to the attacks he played before.

It should be fairly obvious that the Ashes attack is irrefutably the best attack he played against in his career. The 2 SA attacks that he played thereafter including Pollock/Ntini/Nel/Kallis were also very good(in the context of that series). The Indian attack that toured Australia was Australia better than many attacks that have reached those shores in the early part of this decade.
All true again. But i can't agree with the stance that just because Gilchrist pumelled some really mediocre bowling attacks pre 05 Ashes. Its not like none of those innings weren't pressure i.e Hobart 99, Mumbai 01, Kandy/Bangalore 04, heck even SCG 03 (even though it was a dead rubber).

I seriously doubt any other batsman/keeper in the games history & i'd be specific with batsmen/keepers here & speak of the Andy Flowers, Denis Lindsay's, Les Ames, Sangakkara's could have played such an innings coming so low down. At least one thing you must agree, is that Gilly perfected the art of batting @ 7 & doing superb rescue act/demoralisation of the opposition.

Just like how i always saw that the fact Australia struggled to adapt to the quality swing bowling when the lost in 05. Was clearly down more due to the lack of facing it on a consistent basis compared to their 90s compatriots than their inability to play such bowling.

Same argument can be said about Gilly from 05-07 for me. If Gilly played in the 90s he wouldn't have seen a 60+ average that i'm sure of. But he still would have been able to be the same destructive Gilchrist that he was & would have still retired with great accolades.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Haddin is a very useful batsmen, and is exactly what is needed upon the retirement of Gilchrist. I never rated Gilchrist all that highly as a gloveman, but his batting more than compensated for his glovework. Haddin on the other hand, I've found to be very capable with the gloves, and more than good enough at test level with the bat. Probably won't average anything close to what Gilchrist did, but he has a role to play in the current Australian side, and that is score runs, whether they be quick runs or slow runs. I was very impressed with him this time last year batting in the middle order in our OD team in India.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Incidentally, I presume this (assuming Geg was on about "Dubya") isn't actually a duplicate-account at all, as it was registered back in December 2005.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
IMHO Gilchrist personified the Australian ideal of a 6-7 batsman. Openers can block, middle order players can build an innings, but batting were Gilly did your job is to flay the bowling. Get the quick runs for a declaration or cash in on tired bowling. Being so aggressive means taking chances, so your going to go cheaply often. If your relying on a 6or 7 to regularly build an innings or grind away at runs then your clearly picking the wrong batsman in the first 5 spots.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Incidentally, I presume this (assuming Geg was on about "Dubya") isn't actually a duplicate-account at all, as it was registered back in December 2005.
Very Salimuddin for mine. Starts a thread asking a question that could easily go bad and doesn't stick around to see how it ends.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very Salimuddin for mine. Starts a thread asking a question that could easily go bad and doesn't stick around to see how it ends.
I see the similarity TBH, very much so, but I'd find it odd that Sala would duplicate-account as there just seems no reason for him to do so.

pup11

International Coach
No. No. No. No. No. No.

Just No.
If Ronchi can bat with a bit more concentration and improve his shot selection, then there is no reason why he can't be a long term option, because lets be honest its one thing rating Haddin highly, but if he isn't able to perform then his spot would obviously come under the scanner.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Ronchi's been around for a long time now and hasn't improved his shot selection or concentration at all. He has a terrible record in first class cricket and is too carefree to become a long term test option. Coupled with the fact that he has loose "technique", I can't see him becoming any sort of long term option. His keeping has improved considerably but he's still not better than Haddin.

If Haddin proves an overwhelming failure (which I doubt) I'd rather see someone young like Paine given a go, but Ronchi will obviously come in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Ronchi can bat with a bit more concentration and improve his shot selection, then there is no reason why he can't be a long term option, because lets be honest its one thing rating Haddin highly, but if he isn't able to perform then his spot would obviously come under the scanner.
I'm guessing Smith was more referring to the part about Ronchi's wicketkeeping, which he's denounced as poor on here more times than I can remember (and that for a guy who barely posts in CC).

As I said, bizarre TSTL to hear anyone suggest Ronchi's wicketkeeping > Haddin's.