• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest Innings Ever Played

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I presume there must have been a thread on this subject before but hopefully this will provide a new slant on it.

I have just acquired a little book in a series of “Statistical Meanderings” by CPW Jonkers the point of which is to assess innings statistically with a view to thereby deciding which is the greatest innings ever.

He uses 5 factors:-

F1.Runs scored

Jonker’s takes the cube root of this in his calculation

F2. Quality of Pitch

To get a figure for this he divides 150 by (2 x the average runs per wicket for the match in question plus 3 x the average runs per wicket for the innings in which the runs are scored)

F3. Quality of Bowlers

The average bowling average when Jonkers wrote this was 28 so you calculate the average of the averages of the bowlers involved as at the date of the match weighted with reference to the number of overs they bowl and divide 28 by that figure.

F4. Speed of Innings

Jonkers would have liked to have used runs per 100 balls as the measure but as that is often not available for older innings he uses the individual innings runs per over. He then divides the innings figure by the overall test average (1.5 in his day) and you have F4

F5. Innings relative to that of other batsmen

The way he works this out is complicated but it is intended to be a measure of the dominance of the innings under consideration – if this thread attracts interest I will set it out in detail.

Jonkers considers F2 and F3 to be twice as important as F4 and F5

His rating is completed then by the following calculation

5F1 (2F2 + 2F3 + F4 + F5) divided by 3

Jonkers did this in 1992 – he admits only working it through on “about 30 well known innings” and his “Greatest Innings” on the basis of his formula was Graham Gooch’s 154* against W Indies at Headingley in 1991

jondavluc

State Regular
what so special about that innings? the bowling was special
Maybe the fact Haydos was the only one to make any real runs in scorching heat of over 40 degrees (I believe) on a track that was also most likely very helpful for bowlers from what it seems.It was an excellent innings.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon Martin Guptill 122* on debut vs the West Indies in a oday gamein 2008 at eden park in Auckland batting with B McCullum M Sincler R Taylor Niel broom 50 Overs
I think Tim McIntosh's chanceless century in the test series vs. the Windies was better.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
what so special about that innings? the bowling was special
The heat (50 degrees) and the conditions were so bad for batting that the 2nd highest score of the match was 44 from Ponting. Hayden scored more in his 1 innings of 119 than Pakistan did for both innings (112). It was truly something amazing to see, he was out there for more than 7 hours.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
The heat (50 degrees) and the conditions were so bad for batting that the 2nd highest score of the match was 44 from Ponting. Hayden scored more in his 1 innings of 119 than Pakistan did for both innings (112). It was truly something amazing to see, he was out there for more than 7 hours.
Wouldn't the heat make it harder for the bowlers? Some of them were forced to ball one-over spells. Still, it has a topnotch knock.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
50 degrees? I thought it was 40 degrees last time. Its going to be 60 degrees the next time this tale is retold.

Something_Fishy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Reckon Greenidge's famous 214* was pretty special. And surely it's gotta count extra for being a 4th innings, and playing at Lord's.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't the heat make it harder for the bowlers? Some of them were forced to ball one-over spells. Still, it has a topnotch knock.
Considering they were knocking off the batsmen for some of the lowest scores in Test history it appears it wasn't as bad.

50 degrees? I thought it was 40 degrees last time. Its going to be 60 degrees the next time this tale is retold.
Cricinfo - `We were at our clinical best' - Steve Waugh
Steve Waugh said:
On the weather conditions at Sharjah:

"The tied Test was worse than that, and probably a one-dayer that I've played at Cochin. But this was very difficult. It was around 50 degrees, and it was tough, it could be dangerous if you don't watch your fluid intake. Tough conditions, but only the toughest side in the world could win in these conditions."

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I remember watching the game on TV. The cameramen had a thermometer on the ground in the sun, was 51 and 52 most of the day. You could say it may be harder for the bowlers, but they're not coated in padding and constantly running back and forth for seven hours.

archie mac

International Coach
Kim Hughes on a disgrace of a pitch at the MCG, against the WI was the best I have ever watched, although the Lara innings against the Aussies was pretty special, as was a ton Slater made against England on the SCG:)