Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are ticket prices getting silly?

Cricket Spectator
    The last event was proof of the pudding, tickets were 45 and every day, Thursday thru Sunday was packed to the rafters. And, incidently, so was Gun Barrels afterwards.

I guess it isnt helped when Lord's gets 2 tests a year (in non ashes years) and all the other venues only get 1, if at all. You can see why these grounds have to charge a fortune to get a crowd in.

But then this year, 55-60 a ticket and apart from the odd day here and there i havnt seen a sold out ground yet. OK, it may 'only' be South Africa but there were full grounds last time they played in 2003!

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    As I say, a fair point.

On the other hand, how far can they realistically drop the price of these massively in-demand tickets in order to accommodate these groups of people?

I mean, how many university students could afford ticket prices of even, say, 30? This would mean blowing an entire fortnight's weed budget on one day at the cricket, where the beer isn't even subsidised.
    Solution in bolded
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
    What were the ticket prices to the 06/07 Ashes series, per day?
    I think I paid something like 20 AUD a day for good seats at the MCG, off the top of my head. It was a sold out match as well.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    I think I paid something like 20 AUD a day for good seats at the MCG, off the top of my head. It was a sold out match as well.
    Maybe I'll wait and go to the next Ashes in Australia.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Maybe I'll wait and go to the next Ashes in Australia.
    Come to Australia to watch cricket when it's against a team you actually support, IMO

I can't find prices for Headingley for next year, I am hoping they aren't 75, this year I was originally going to go to the Edgbaston Test but we opted for Headingley as it was a good 20 cheaper, so Np - unless you have found info I haven't, don't count your trip out just yet. Also, you normally get a five-day ticket at a cheaper rate than just multiplying the one-day price by five

As for the question in general, going the Test Match is expensive, no doubt, but rather than comparing to other countries, we should compare to other events in this country.

In March, I paid 21 to get into Oldham V Tranmere, a football match. For those of you who have never heard my preachings, this is a match two divisions below the Premiership, the quality is pretty poor, there was a hole in the roof, it was pissing down and superkingdave supports Oldham, who won, giving him his annual rights over my avatar. A football league match lasts 100 minutes maximum including stoppage time.

In 2005, I paid about 30-odd to watch England V Azerbaijan at football in Newcastle. Given that since 2005 cost-of-living in this country has gone up about 20% (total guess plucked from the air, my personal col has gone up about 600% so I can't accurately comment) and that no internationals are played away from Wembley now, I'd imagine that even for a ****ty fixture like that you'd be looking at around 60?

Last month I spent less than 40 to watch a full day's Test Cricket, it lasted from 11 until about half past six and you can have a beer in the stands and generally relax so much more than at a football match. 40 is less than twice the cost of Oldham V Tranmere for a much higher calibre of sportsman, better venue and facilities. You could squeeze almost five football matches into a day at the cricket, five international football matches in this country would cost you a few hundred.

I don't go and watch any other sports, so someone like steds can probably compare for RL and I know Brumby makes the odd trip to Twickenham, but really, I don't think the cost of a match is that bad, relateively speaking.

Admittedly they cost a fair bit more at Lord's and The Oval, but then that crowd down there earn about twice as much as us for the same jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Frankly reckon that being a member i should get in free to Test Matches instead of the 15 off. Always balk at the amount Edgbaston want for test matches, only reason i went this year is because i didn't pay for the tickets. Was so many gaps in the crowd for the first day of the SA Test that to my mind there's a lot of other people balking at the prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Cricket Spectator
    Well lets take a rugby example. I was at Twickers for the GP Final this year and what a day. They realised that half full grounds generate no atmosphere at all, so did everything they could to guarantee a full house, including selling tickets for 5, 9 and 13 quid (about 10000 of them!).

Coincidently, on the day 80,632 people rammer into Twickenham on the day and a thoroughly good one it was too.

I dont think you can really compare prices with other sports though to be honest. People will pay staggering amounts for football matches and rugby matches, but if you look at the overall excitement generated from the match, its probably equivalent to a day at a test (one dayers are different i suppose!). Plus if your off to a rugby game you arrive at a pub 3 hours before cricket, sober up for half an hour before the match, drink through the game and spend the following 4 hours in the pub before getting a train home. So it kinda is a full day activity.

The difference with test cricket is that you arnt guaranteed any play, and certainly arnt guaranteed seeing particularly good cricket. Imagine turning up and watching Matthew Hayden and whoever is Australia's #2 at the moment bat all day long and finish the day 350-0 having paid 75 for the pleasure. I suspect the bars would make a fortune in people drowning their sorrows and knowing full well that when the wife founds out there will be trouble!

At least for a fairyball or rugby game your guaranteed to see a match and on a decent number of occasions its actually a pretty good match too. Thats not to say that cricket isnt good, far from it, its a different style though.

Perhaps if we put it into perspective, the EDF semifinals each year take place at the Millenium Stadium and feature 2 matches back to back, for a fairly decent 30 a ticket. In Rugby League they have the big weekend thing at the stadium with 6 matches over 2 days for 40 or something for the lot!

Cricket Spectator

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Come to Australia to watch cricket when it's against a team you actually support, IMO
    Watching an Ashes Test has been one of the items on my list to do before I die for quite some time now, so if I have a chance to do this, I will. I'd prefer to do this in England as I have a cousin in Glasgow I'd love to visit while I'm on the island, on top of which watching cricket in England seems to be more enjoyable.

Besides, have you seen seen us play Test cricket lately? We're horrendous. Though I am also planning on taking a trip to Pakistan around the time the next WC hits.

Dream big, my friend.
    Last edited by nightprowler10; 09-08-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I can't find prices for Headingley for next year, I am hoping they aren't 75, this year I was originally going to go to the Edgbaston Test but we opted for Headingley as it was a good 20 cheaper, so Np - unless you have found info I haven't, don't count your trip out just yet. Also, you normally get a five-day ticket at a cheaper rate than just multiplying the one-day price by five
    So there is hope yet? Do post here if you find something I don't, but so far it doesn't look good.

I went to the New Zealand test at Trent Bridge for 15 pounds on Day 3 (I'm still a kid) I saw a great days cricket and was very satisfied. 75 pounds for next year however is way too much, I think at The Oval it's even more expensive, they're just trying to make too much money out of everything.
    A great new cricket forum:
    http://www.cricketforum.com/

It wouldn't be an issue for me and I'm no millionaire either, far from it. For the unaware, I love cycling and last year I went and saw the last 8 days of the Tour de France costing me close to $4000 and that is not on top of the air fares I had to pay ($2600), which is a lot considering if I had stayed for two weeks, instead of another 8 or 9. I also paid 80 euro later on to watch Inter Milan lose to Roma in the Italian Supercup Final.

The way I look at it, if you love something, and if it is not something you do all the time (ie go to a Test match), then why not? Try and get in early and save like anythng. Then again it may not be 0/350 it could be England getting over 400 in a day or whateveror you just don't know. I say if you can afford, go.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    It wouldn't be an issue for me and I'm no millionaire either, far from it. For the unaware, I love cycling and last year I went and saw the last 8 days of the Tour de France costing me close to $4000 and that is not on top of the air fares I had to pay ($2600), which is a lot considering if I had stayed for two weeks, instead of another 8 or 9. I also paid 80 euro later on to watch Inter Milan lose to Roma in the Italian Supercup Final.

The way I look at it, if you love something, and if it is not something you do all the time (ie go to a Test match), then why not? Try and get in early and save like anythng. Then again it may not be 0/350 it could be England getting over 400 in a day or whateveror you just don't know. I say if you can afford, go.
    And what about those that also love cricket but can't? A sport needs its fanbase and can't survive by alienating it.

International Regular
    When I get older and whatever, I would like to go to alot of Cricket. However, if ticket prices keep raising at this rate, when I can go and do things how I want and everything, it will cost a ****load of money. I wanna go, not just watch it on T.V!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information