• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Opening Ceremony in Cricket?

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Which tournament had the best Opening or closing ceremony in Cricket?

Wc 99?
Wc 03?
Wc 07?
IPL 08?
Any other or in future may be for 2009 T20 or 2011 Wc?:cool:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WC99 was possibly the worst opening ceremony of any tournament ever hosted in history.

IIRR WC2003 was pretty good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I don't tend to take the blindest bit of notice of opening ceremonies, only know about those two because the WC99 one was so dreadful it was denounced as part of organisational hopelessness that plagued that tournament, and the WC2003 one was described as "coming accross as a glorified travel commercial" by someone or other.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2003 was the best I've seen. 2007 was alright.

Best not to mention 99.

stumpski

International Captain
Just thought I'd mention what Wisden had to say about the one for the 1996 World Cup:

'The opening ceremony was attended by more than 100,000 people, most of whom must have left wondering what on earth they had been watching. The laser show malfunctioned, the compere was embarrassing and the grand launch was a complete flop - so much so that there were subsequent calls at Calcuttan government level for the arrest of the Pilcom convenor, Jagmohan Dalmiya, on a charge of wasting public money.'

:laugh: Good to know it's not just us who screw these things up - and that name seems oddly familiar...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, had forgotten about the calls for arrest for wasting public money - laughed :laugh: so hard when I first read that.

Reminded me of an occasion I head this on the radio: "the man who made a gun gesture behind David Cameron pictured in The Guardian yesterday has been charged with possession of cannabis".

*NB - the newspaper may be the wrong one, I just picked a random name newspaper.

Last edited:

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Wat do u say about IPL Opening ceremony? I rate it as the best than any other Cricket World Cup too...