• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For batting at #3 Dean Jones or Ricky Ponting?

Who would u pick??

• Total voters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ponting has made four test double hundreds and twice caught a few runs shy of other test double hundreds.

BTW, shouldn't this be one of those polls where you can pick multiple options?
Got him and Vaughan confused for some reason.

howardj

International Coach
In ODIs, it's a very interesting question. Jones's contribution goes beyond mere statistics. He revolutionised ODIs with his quick scoring at the top of the order and his frantic running between wickets (not to mention being the first man to wear sunnies while playing). He was, in many ways, a trailblazer, and therefore always to my mind sits rather high in terms of all-time ODI rankings.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This poll should have an option for who to vote for in the obnoxiousness stakes as well as the options quoted.

Echo most everyone else - in ODIs it's close IMO, but in tests Ponting would be streets ahead.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im never quite happy about listing people in order or direct comparisons unless it is obvious.

In Test cricket Jones was a very good player, but in ODI cricket Jones was incredible.

Whether he was better than Ponting? I dont know. All I can say is that he was one of the best Ive watched.