• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC agrees to change Oval forfeiture to a draw

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyway, serious point: in light of the changing of this result could the 5th test of our 99/00 tour to SA be changed or expunged, even? Given what we know now it doesn't sit well as having "test" status for me.

Thoughts?
Completely different, as there was no Umpiring decision made which caused the game to finish.

About all that could be done, apart from what Lillian Thomson suggested which is obviously not going to happen, would be to declare the game void, and that ain't going to happen either.

Unfortunately, some things are indelible, and that wretched Centurion game is one of them.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I imagine this incident is just the straw that broke the camel's back for Holding, he's been bitching about the ICC committee for ages on commentary/in the pundit bow for Sky. He disagrees with a lot of what they say it appears.

Personaly I never agreed with him on that many issues, but he seemed like someone that was dead set focused on cricket's best interests, which can probably not be said for everyone at the ICC.

Fusion

Global Moderator
"When you take certain actions, you must be quite happy to suffer the consequences."

That's the key quote from Holding. I felt Pakistan's principal stand was quite justified, and they in fact should have been happy/proud to leave the result as it was.

I applaud Holding for having ethics enough to resign when he felt things were going down a path he couldn't follow. Incidently, it must also be pointed out that Holding had all sympathy with Inzi and Pakistan following the events of Hairgate. He was extremely critical of first world hypocrisy in his words. Some of his words from that time:

"I have absolute and all sympathy with [Pakistan captain] Inzamam-ul Haq. If you label someone a cheat, please arrive with the evidence," Holding wrote in India Today, a leading weekly news magazine. Holding felt that most umpires would have said something to the fielding captain and given the offending team a warning of some kind. "Then if the tampering continued, they would have been totally justified in taking action.

"There is a double standard at work in cricket and this episode has only highlighted it. When England used reverse-swing to beat the Australians in the 2005 Ashes, everyone said it was great skill. When Pakistan does it, the opposite happens, no one thinks it is great skill. Everyone associates it with skullduggery.

"When bombs go off in Karachi and Colombo everyone wants to go home. When bombs go off in London, no one says anything. That is first-world hypocrisy and we have to live with it."

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That is first-world hypocrisy and we have to live with it."
I agree with everything Holding wrote except that. I think its fixable in various ways.

One way is simply taking a stand and not allowing that to happen.

Another, and probably more effective, is for the actual 3rd world cricket boards to actually be richer than the 1st through sheer passion for the game in the country. And we've seen the reactions that gets from the 1st world :ph34r:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree with everything Holding wrote except that. I think its fixable in various ways.

One way is simply taking a stand and not allowing that to happen.

Another, and probably more effective, is for the actual 3rd world cricket boards to actually be richer than the 1st through sheer passion for the game in the country. And we've seen the reactions that gets from the 1st world :ph34r:
Not really a surprise, though. Threaten anyone's power base and you're going to piss them off. That said, most of the angst has been between punters and commentators. The boards themselves have been at great pains to say how much well they work together.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Michael Holding said:
That is first-world hypocrisy and we have to live with it.
Fixable? :huh:

I agree with Holding about first-World hypocrisy in the go-home-when-bombs-go-off thing, but not in the reverse-swing category. We've seen reverse-swing from all sorts of bowlers from just about every country around be accepted without a backward thought. It's only very occasionally people go on about ball-tampering - and it was evident in 2005, if only occasionally, with the ridiculous innuendo from Australians that tried to make-out that England were cheating by sucking sweets. 8-)

I'd personally reckon the fact that Pakistan are often most closely associated with cheating is because you get the odd pratt like Shahid Afridi who dances on wickets when he thinks no-one's looking, which pretty much never happens anywhere else. Because of this, unfortunately, all Pakistanis get labelled cheats in some quarters, which, obviously, is ridiculous, as tarring all with one brush always is.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fixable? :huh:

I agree with Holding about first-World hypocrisy in the go-home-when-bombs-go-off thing, but not in the reverse-swing category. We've seen reverse-swing from all sorts of bowlers from just about every country around be accepted without a backward thought. It's only very occasionally people go on about ball-tampering - and it was evident in 2005, if only occasionally, with the ridiculous innuendo from Australians that tried to make-out that England were cheating by sucking sweets. 8-)

I'd personally reckon the fact that Pakistan are often most closely associated with cheating is because you get the odd pratt like Shahid Afridi who dances on wickets when he thinks no-one's looking, which pretty much never happens anywhere else. Because of this, unfortunately, all Pakistanis get labelled cheats in some quarters, which, obviously, is ridiculous, as tarring all with one brush always is.
Those mints were banned, and England haven't reversed it since. QED :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They weren't banned, they can't be and never will be, and several England bowlers have reverse-swung it, plenty of times, since.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, kudos to Holding.

Really possibly the most ridiculous element of the whole Hairgate situation, going right back to the day it happened. Regardless of how you feel about Pakistan's decision to forfeit the match, they did forfeit it, and the draw is neither deserved nor desirable from anyone's perspective, as far as I can see.