Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: How would you deal with the ICL

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433

    How would you deal with the ICL

    Hi,

    Simple hypothetical situation - you have just attained total power over the BCCI's policy toward the ICL and the IPL. What would you do regarding the ICL/IPL.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

  2. #2
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,868
    I would ban everyone who had an association with the ICL from any BCCI sponsored tournaments. I would schedule international matches at the same time the ICL is playing thier matches to steal their audience. I would encourage other countries to ban players who took part in unofficial tournaments by promising more lucrative series against those countries if they did so and give them bad venues, times and shorter series if they went against our directive.

    I would use my political connections to try and remove any tax exemption status from ICL events, and I would pressure advertisers into not supporting the ICL by excluding them from sponsoring any BCCI event in the future. I would encourage the rival network to fold the league by promising them something in the future (e.g, favored deals on TV rights, or choice of venues for certain ODIs, etc).

    Some of those things being unethical and illegal, but in all honesty if I thought them a threat to my core business, that's what I'd want to do.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 22-06-2008 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #3
    U19 Debutant cowboysfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    irving,texas
    Posts
    381
    The ICL is on life support and it wont last more than 2 years .

  4. #4
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I would ban everyone who had an association with the ICL from any BCCI sponsored tournaments. I would schedule international matches at the same time the ICL is playing thier matches to steal their audience. I would encourage other countries to ban players who took part in unofficial tournaments by promising more lucrative series against those countries if they did so and give them bad venues, times and shorter series if they went against our directive.

    I would use my political connections to try and remove any tax exemption status from ICL events, and I would pressure advertisers into not supporting the ICL by excluding them from sponsoring any BCCI event in the future. I would encourage the rival network to fold the league by promising them something in the future (e.g, favored deals on TV rights, or choice of venues for certain ODIs, etc).

    Some of those things being unethical and illegal, but in all honesty if I thought them a threat to my core business, that's what I'd want to do.
    I never thought you'd take such a violent approach toward a twenty20 competition


  5. #5
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I never thought you'd take such a violent approach toward a twenty20 competition
    Well I wouldn't have gotten to the top of BCCI if I wasn't brutal .

  6. #6
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I would ban everyone who had an association with the ICL from any BCCI sponsored tournaments. I would schedule international matches at the same time the ICL is playing thier matches to steal their audience. I would encourage other countries to ban players who took part in unofficial tournaments by promising more lucrative series against those countries if they did so and give them bad venues, times and shorter series if they went against our directive.

    I would use my political connections to try and remove any tax exemption status from ICL events, and I would pressure advertisers into not supporting the ICL by excluding them from sponsoring any BCCI event in the future. I would encourage the rival network to fold the league by promising them something in the future (e.g, favored deals on TV rights, or choice of venues for certain ODIs, etc).

    Some of those things being unethical and illegal, but in all honesty if I thought them a threat to my core business, that's what I'd want to do.
    so basically what the BCCI is trying to do currently

  7. #7
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,485
    It's about money

    The 2 competitions might be able to co-exist but if they can't:

    a. do what SS says; or

    b. give them TV rights

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    The ICL is on life support and it wont last more than 2 years .
    That remains to be seen.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  9. #9
    U19 Debutant cowboysfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    irving,texas
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That remains to be seen.
    Players joined the ICL because the money was very good even though they were warned and some may never play international cricket again.Now they a better option of IPL-the same great money and they get to play international cricket too-why would any cricketer who is any good join the ICL again-it is what it is.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    If they weren't offered terms to play in the IPL but were in the ICL.

  11. #11
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Does the ICL have any good indian players? Like the domestic ones not counting the old players? why didn't shane bond go to the IPL?

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    IIRR, the IPL wasn't even public knowledge at the time Bond signed with the ICL.

    I seem to recall several Indian players signing with the ICL, incidentally - remember ss got extremely excited about it.

  13. #13
    U19 Debutant cowboysfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    irving,texas
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If they weren't offered terms to play in the IPL but were in the ICL.
    If the IPL teams dont want those players then they maybe not good anyway.The ICL is already a 2nd tier competition-they wont do well with 2nd tier players.

  14. #14
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    Does the ICL have any good indian players? Like the domestic ones not counting the old players?
    No players who are drop dead fantastic, but TP Singh would be on the fringes of ODI selection if not for the ICL due to spectacular fielding, handy batting and useful spin bowling.

    Junjhunwala is regarded as the most talented batsman in the ICL but he is an underperformer - he may excel in the 4 day competition planned for the ICL though.

    Abu Nechim can bowl at 140kph and extracts good outswing but is somewhat wayward - he would likely be in the top 30 fast bowlers in India in terms of esteem with the selectors; if his T20 bowling is anything to go by in terms of 50 over cricket and 4 day bowling.

    Ganapathi Vignesh opens the bowling and batting on occasions. Bowls at 120-125kph with good swing and is a very, very agressive batsman.

    Rajagopal Sathish was India XI captain in the World Series after averaging 42.50 and strike rating at 163.46. Ambati Rayudu was once touted as India's great batting hope but underperformed in domestic cricket and has done well in the ICL so far.

    Ali Murtaza was very economical in the first ICL competition and did well in the ICL 50s.
    Amit Uniyal has been injured recently but is said to be able to bowl 140kph
    Shalabh Srivastava bowls quick medium pace and nudges 140kph with good bounce but has not done well in the ICL.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    If the IPL teams dont want those players then they maybe not good anyway.The ICL is already a 2nd tier competition-they wont do well with 2nd tier players.
    You'd be surprised what people will watch. The ICL's audiences for their first season were far from poor - infinitely better, UIMM, than the audiences for WSC (the only precendent)'s first season. We don't know what the future will hold, of course, but things certainly didn't start out-and-out badly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Deal or No Deal...
    By Paid The Umpire in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 05:36 PM
  2. How do you deal with boredom?
    By Beleg in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
  3. What's the deal
    By 12th Man in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-01-2005, 12:34 PM
  4. Whats the deal
    By Scallywag in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-08-2004, 04:58 PM
  5. Confirmed Deal
    By Anoop in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2002, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •