Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you deal with the ICL

How would you deal with the ICL

Hi,

Simple hypothetical situation - you have just attained total power over the BCCI's policy toward the ICL and the IPL. What would you do regarding the ICL/IPL.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I would ban everyone who had an association with the ICL from any BCCI sponsored tournaments. I would schedule international matches at the same time the ICL is playing thier matches to steal their audience. I would encourage other countries to ban players who took part in unofficial tournaments by promising more lucrative series against those countries if they did so and give them bad venues, times and shorter series if they went against our directive.

I would use my political connections to try and remove any tax exemption status from ICL events, and I would pressure advertisers into not supporting the ICL by excluding them from sponsoring any BCCI event in the future. I would encourage the rival network to fold the league by promising them something in the future (e.g, favored deals on TV rights, or choice of venues for certain ODIs, etc).

Some of those things being unethical and illegal, but in all honesty if I thought them a threat to my core business, that's what I'd want to do.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 22-06-2008 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The ICL is on life support and it wont last more than 2 years .

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I would ban everyone who had an association with the ICL from any BCCI sponsored tournaments. I would schedule international matches at the same time the ICL is playing thier matches to steal their audience. I would encourage other countries to ban players who took part in unofficial tournaments by promising more lucrative series against those countries if they did so and give them bad venues, times and shorter series if they went against our directive.

I would use my political connections to try and remove any tax exemption status from ICL events, and I would pressure advertisers into not supporting the ICL by excluding them from sponsoring any BCCI event in the future. I would encourage the rival network to fold the league by promising them something in the future (e.g, favored deals on TV rights, or choice of venues for certain ODIs, etc).

Some of those things being unethical and illegal, but in all honesty if I thought them a threat to my core business, that's what I'd want to do.
    I never thought you'd take such a violent approach toward a twenty20 competition

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I never thought you'd take such a violent approach toward a twenty20 competition
    Well I wouldn't have gotten to the top of BCCI if I wasn't brutal .

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post

so basically what the BCCI is trying to do currently

It's about money

The 2 competitions might be able to co-exist but if they can't:

a. do what SS says; or

b. give them TV rights

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    The ICL is on life support and it wont last more than 2 years .
    That remains to be seen.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That remains to be seen.
    Players joined the ICL because the money was very good even though they were warned and some may never play international cricket again.Now they a better option of IPL-the same great money and they get to play international cricket too-why would any cricketer who is any good join the ICL again-it is what it is.

If they weren't offered terms to play in the IPL but were in the ICL.

Does the ICL have any good indian players? Like the domestic ones not counting the old players? why didn't shane bond go to the IPL?

IIRR, the IPL wasn't even public knowledge at the time Bond signed with the ICL.

I seem to recall several Indian players signing with the ICL, incidentally - remember ss got extremely excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If they weren't offered terms to play in the IPL but were in the ICL.
    If the IPL teams dont want those players then they maybe not good anyway.The ICL is already a 2nd tier competition-they wont do well with 2nd tier players.

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    Does the ICL have any good indian players? Like the domestic ones not counting the old players?
    No players who are drop dead fantastic, but TP Singh would be on the fringes of ODI selection if not for the ICL due to spectacular fielding, handy batting and useful spin bowling.

Junjhunwala is regarded as the most talented batsman in the ICL but he is an underperformer - he may excel in the 4 day competition planned for the ICL though.

Abu Nechim can bowl at 140kph and extracts good outswing but is somewhat wayward - he would likely be in the top 30 fast bowlers in India in terms of esteem with the selectors; if his T20 bowling is anything to go by in terms of 50 over cricket and 4 day bowling.

Ganapathi Vignesh opens the bowling and batting on occasions. Bowls at 120-125kph with good swing and is a very, very agressive batsman.

Rajagopal Sathish was India XI captain in the World Series after averaging 42.50 and strike rating at 163.46. Ambati Rayudu was once touted as India's great batting hope but underperformed in domestic cricket and has done well in the ICL so far.

Ali Murtaza was very economical in the first ICL competition and did well in the ICL 50s.
    Amit Uniyal has been injured recently but is said to be able to bowl 140kph
    Shalabh Srivastava bowls quick medium pace and nudges 140kph with good bounce but has not done well in the ICL.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    If the IPL teams dont want those players then they maybe not good anyway.The ICL is already a 2nd tier competition-they wont do well with 2nd tier players.
    You'd be surprised what people will watch. The ICL's audiences for their first season were far from poor - infinitely better, UIMM, than the audiences for WSC (the only precendent)'s first season. We don't know what the future will hold, of course, but things certainly didn't start out-and-out badly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information