• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators

Athlai

Not Terrible
I like Richardson and Doull in the box together, they are total opposites and Richardson manages to counteract Doull nicely, however whenever these guys are with anyone else its pretty cringeworthy. At least you get a few laughs when they argue.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How can you not like David Lloyd?!

Harmless, funny and surely its a good thing to hear from an ex-England coach???

I find the OP views very harsh and unjust.
Yeah agree, I like Lloyd.

No one's better with the crowd scenes.

pasag

RTDAS
Nasser Hussain
Michael Atherton (Richard to hunt me down and murder me)
Nasser and Atherton are fine. Just because they don't rate this NZ team or whatever reason you've come to dislike them doesn't make them poor commentators. They're two of the better (if not best) ones going around.

Flem274*

123/5
Nasser and Atherton are fine. Just because they don't rate this NZ team or whatever reason you've come to dislike them doesn't make them poor commentators. They're two of the better (if not best) ones going around.
Its not because they don't like NZ or whoever, I just don't like them. I just find them irritating for some reason.

Though tbf I generally listen to the Radio commentators who are much better so I've been spoilt so when I turn the TV back on I get annoyed by the TV commentators alot more. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can remember a short but disastrous spell from Alec Stewart at Channel 4 after it came out that Dermot Reeve enjoyed the odd bit of cocaine.
Would've mentioned Stewart TBH but couldn't face reliving that nightmareish stint.

Honestly, about the least natural mic-man I've ever come accross trying his hand there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its not because they don't like NZ or whoever, I just don't like them. I just find them irritating for some reason.
Yeah - because they've talked down this NZ team unduly (has bordered on the patronising of times, and I haven't liked it at all). There's nothing wrong with that, but honestly - if you're seriously telling yourself, or anyone else, that that isn't the reason you don't like them then I think you're lying to yourself TBH.

BTW, on Atherton - I much prefer his writing to his commentary TBH. He's OK with the mic, but Hussain is much better IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just like Laxman Sivaramakrishnan says the word 'very' waaaaaaaaay too much. Ridiculous.
TBH, pretty much everyone says something too much TBH, and TBH they also don't notice they're doing it. So TBH, it's a uniform human error, rather than something unique to Gower or Siva (CBA typing his whole name TBH).

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah - because they've talked down this NZ team unduly (has bordered on the patronising of times, and I haven't liked it at all). There's nothing wrong with that, but honestly - if you're seriously telling yourself, or anyone else, that that isn't the reason you don't like them then I think you're lying to yourself TBH.

BTW, on Atherton - I much prefer his writing to his commentary TBH. He's OK with the mic, but Hussain is much better IMO.
Interesting-Richard knows more about my opinions than I do. :p

Tbh Boycott is the only one that really gets up my nose about NZ. I just don't like Hussain or Athertons commentary, though yes Atherton can write quite well and frankly I'd prefer he'd stay writing though I know I'm in the minority (unless I create duplicate accounts :p) so I have no issues with him commentating, as contradictory to my other statement as this sounds.

I just don't like them. Henry Blofeld (sic) imo is an absolute gun, get him on both TV and radio.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
How can you not like David Lloyd?!

Harmless, funny and surely its a good thing to hear from an ex-England coach??
He is harmless.

However:

i. He is not funny.

ii. He uses stupid contrived expressions such as saying "boundary four" when someone hits a, er, four (see also Mark Nicholas - "Sixer!"). Also his supposedly humorous catchphrases such as "can we have our ball back please?", "start the car" etc. Imbecile.

iii. Listening to his witless drivel it's astonishing that he was ever England coach.

iv. Mind you, he was a dreadful England coach too.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Mark Nichoals isn't necessarily a bad commentator, he just pisses me off, big style. Bill Lawry and Ian Healy on the other hand, they are just crap.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
TBH, pretty much everyone says something too much TBH, and TBH they also don't notice they're doing it. So TBH, it's a uniform human error, rather than something unique to Gower or Siva (CBA typing his whole name TBH).
Yep you're right. But Gower does have his own little list of words he just can't help slipping in there, and it does get up your nose.

He says "GARN" a lot.

Whenever he's interviewing someone he says "indeed" after everything the other person says.

He was my boyhood cricketing hero. What an amazing player. But a very poor commentator and link-man. Just like Botham, he's unable or unwilling to give any technical analysis whatsoever and doesn't add anything to what Tony Grieg would call the "telecorst".

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd forgotten about Gooch - he is bad but thankfully we aren't exposed to him too much

Willis is the one that does for me - its not so much what he says but the way he says it - if he was presented with a cheque for £100k by two half naked n-power girls he'd still sound like he'd just lost the will to live

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Mark Nichoals isn't necessarily a bad commentator, he just pisses me off, big style. Bill Lawry and Ian Healy on the other hand, they are just crap.
I definitely agree with the bolded part.

I don't mind Mark Nicholas, though. He adds a much needed class to the Nine commentary box - particularly necessary, given that blokes like Healy like to perform the bogan shtick, for whatever reason.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Ryan Campbell was pretty dodgey sometimes in the IPL. And whenever Haddin did a bit of commentary (hardly ever thank god) he was pretty crap. Ian Healy isn't great either

I don't think the rest of the channel 9 commentary is that bad. Lawry can be quite funny to listen to (got him!!! big wicket there!!! Its all over now!!! oh wait its not out...) Ian Chapple can be quite annoying sometimes, but he also does make some good points and I don't mind Mark Nicholas too much.