• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashraf blasts Pakistan for embarassing loss

Fusion

Global Moderator
PCB continues to be an embarrasment. In fact, anything related to Pakistan cricket these days is an embarrasment. This is the height of stupidity. Why is the Chairman blasting his team in public with an e-mail? If he has concerns, then he should talk to the team leadership in private. If he feels they are not responding, then fire them! Don't make a freaking soap opera out of the situation. This incident cements my opinion of Ashraf: He is incompetent and should be fired.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Who appoints these people ? Well at least one good thing that came out of this episode is that Altaf is fired.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PCB continues to be an embarrasment. In fact, anything related to Pakistan cricket these days is an embarrasment. This is the height of stupidity. Why is the Chairman blasting his team in public with an e-mail? If he has concerns, then he should talk to the team leadership in private. If he feels they are not responding, then fire them! Don't make a freaking soap opera out of the situation. This incident cements my opinion of Ashraf: He is incompetent and should be fired.
The chairman has no business in cricket matters. He is an administrator, not a cricketer. Why is he even talking about spinners, team selection, team strategy? That's not his job. Hell even in private, I'd be annoyed if he did all that. It would be like Afridi talking about the PCB's strategy for negotiation of a TV deal....

Fusion

Global Moderator
The chairman has no business in cricket matters. He is an administrator, not a cricketer. Why is he even talking about spinners, team selection, team strategy? That's not his job. Hell even in private, I'd be annoyed if he did all that. It would be like Afridi talking about the PCB's strategy for negotiation of a TV deal....
Yeah I agree. His job is to find competent people to coach and select the Pakistani team. If he thinks they are not doing a good job, then he needs to fire them. He can't interfere to this extent and he certainly shouldn't handle the matter in public like he has.

pasag

RTDAS
Hmm, whilst I agree that the board should generally leave the cricketing matters to the cricketers, the management should be answerable to someone and if things are falling to pieces, their employers are entitled to know what's going on. Now obviously with all the specific orders he over steps the line, but it's not as if it was a public email or anything so I can't see what all the hate is about tbh.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Hmm, whilst I agree that the board should generally leave the cricketing matters to the cricketers, the management should be answerable to someone and if things are falling to pieces, their employers are entitled to know what's going on. Now obviously with all the specific orders he over steps the line, but it's not as if it was a public email or anything so I can't see what all the hate is about tbh.
Hmmm, it appears I didn't have my facts straight on this. My primary anger towards Ashraf was due to the e-mail being made public. I thought he had released the e-mail himself. Now that I stick my head out of the sand, I realize that the e-mail was leaked to the press by Altaf, who's since been fired. That subsides my anger towards Ashraf somewhat in this instance, but I still say he's out of line for interfering in team selection matters.

pasag

RTDAS
Hmmm, it appears I didn't have my facts straight on this. My primary anger towards Ashraf was due to the e-mail being made public. I thought he had released the e-mail himself. Now that I stick my head out of the sand, I realize that the e-mail was leaked to the press by Altaf, who's since been fired. That subsides my anger towards Ashraf somewhat in this instance, but I still say he's out of line for interfering in team selection matters.
Yeah I do think he has over stepped the line, somewhat, but he should have the right to demand answers from his employees if the team looks like it's going down the drain. The cricket management shouldn't have a free reign to get away with whatever they want and as it stands they have the opportunity to explain themselves and justify their actions.

I think the real question here is why you have fellow board members leaking such damaging emails.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
See, I don't think this is true. Sure, the management should be answerable to someone, but the chairman of the board is not a cricketer, he is an administrator. You have cricketing people, such as perhaps the selectors, who can take care of all this. This guy is not a cricketer, and does not have a cricketing job. His job is to pick guys who know their cricket, and they would handle all of this. Giving strategies to the team management is ridiculous. What exactly makes him qualified for that?

I'd be like me being elected to the Mumbai Board as an administrator, and then calling in Sachin Tendulkar to scold him about his technique.....my job may be to hire the coach or the selector, and I may fire him if results are not achieved, but as a suit, I have no business telling crickters about cricket.

If I were Lawson or Malik, I'd tell him to take that email and shove it up his ass.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
See, I don't think this is true. Sure, the management should be answerable to someone, but the chairman of the board is not a cricketer, he is an administrator. You have cricketing people, such as perhaps the selectors, who can take care of all this. This guy is not a cricketer, and does not have a cricketing job. His job is to pick guys who know their cricket, and they would handle all of this. Giving strategies to the team management is ridiculous. What exactly makes him qualified for that?

I'd be like me being elected to the Mumbai Board as an administrator, and then calling in Sachin Tendulkar to scold him about his technique.....my job may be to hire the coach or the selector, and I may fire him if results are not achieved, but as a suit, I have no business telling crickters about cricket.

If I were Lawson or Malik, I'd tell him to take that email and shove it up his ass.
That's silly, at the end of the day the buck stops with him to ensure everything is going smoothly in Pakistani cricket not just from an administrative point of view but from a cricketing one as well. If the playing group has visible issues he has every right to bring it up and demand answers. These people hire and fire the coaching staff so it's only logical that they check on their progress, demand results and question things as they see fit (obviously if it happens continuously and starts impeding things, it's not on, however here after a record loss, they have full right to feel aggrieved). Complete non-issue here.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's silly, at the end of the day the buck stops with him to ensure everything is going smoothly in Pakistani cricket not just from an administrative point of view but from a cricketing one as well. If the playing group has visible issues he has every right to bring it up and demand answers.
Again, he has every right to demand answers for any administrative issues/behavioral issues, and in the end, the results are his responsibility via his appointments of selectors, coach, etc. It's not his job to criticize specific strategy of the team in the field. He has no expertise in it!

pasag

RTDAS
Again, he has every right to demand answers for any administrative issues/behavioral issues, and in the end, the results are his responsibility via his appointments of selectors, coach, etc. It's not his job to criticize specific strategy of the team in the field. He has no expertise in it!
If cricketing related matters are going wrong he has every right to ask questions and I'd expect that from the head of any organisation. I wouldn't want them interfering on a constant basis and I wouldn't want them overriding cricketing decisions if there's a difference in POV but I would want him making sure that the people on the ground are held accountable, if that means asking specific questions when things go wrong even if it's not in his expertise then that's what he can and is entitled to do, especially in an away from public capacity (as this email was intended).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I also just cannot get away from the fact that I feel cricket boards are far better if chairmen\CEOs\etc. understand and have a real feel for the game. It's difficult, in that said role cannot possibly be integrated with the CoS, that's completely impractical. And obviously, one board-employee cannot be trying to do another's job. But for the chairman of the board to have feelings on who should be playing and doing what is not neccessarily a bad thing, as it shows he has feeling for the game.

High-placed administrators have to have a feel for the game, and the more feel they have for it the better.

This is not in any way a comment on Nasim Ashraf, who I've long regarded with quite some suspicion, especially compared to his relatively decent predecessors Taqir Zia and Shaharyah Khan (the latter especially who always generally impressed me).

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Going by that email Dr. Nasim Ashraf speaks a lot of sense; practically all his points and critiques are absolutely spot on.
Very true. Kinda amplifies the stupidity of the board and players, though, which is never good PR - I think team chemistry's going to take a hit.

ret

International Debutant
4. Wicketkeeping was pathetic, especially after Kamran Akmal dropped the catch and pretended that he had held on to it. This is unsporting behaviour but perhaps one has to give him the benefit of the doubt as he may not have realised that the ball had slipped out from his hand, which was picked up by the cameras. I do not want such behaviour from any Pakistani player. Please warn everyone! We ought to be looking at playing another ‘keeper.
Giving his suggestions for the expected final on Saturday, the chairman wrote:

a) The touring selection committee needs to have a meeting and decide regarding the playing 11 i.e how many spinners and who?

b) Malik must undergo a complete fitness test with regards to his bowling tomorrow so as to determine clearly whether he can bowl full 10 overs.

c) If the touring committee decides that they want to ask for another spinners from Pakistan, you can decide and let us know immediately so we can arrange for the player to join the team. It could either be a left-arm spinner or another right-arm spinner.

d) The bowlers should work extra hard for the next two days and correct their no balls and wides. This is simply unacceptable and the coach must address this.
brilliant email :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Going by that email Dr. Nasim Ashraf speaks a lot of sense; practically all his points and critiques are absolutely spot on.
In that case, what is Mr. Ashraf doing as an administrator, he should be out there coaching and captaining team Pakistan.

It Malik is unfit, how did his selection committee(which he is the chairman of) pick him ?

When did they realize that Kamran Akmal's wicket keeping is pathetic, Aftere 140 runs loss ? I am sorry but rest of the world has known about Akmal's Wicket Keeping skills for years.

What right does Mr. Ashraf has to criticize Akmal for claiming that dropped catch when the wicket-keeping coach of Pakistan is Rashid Latif ?

That Afridi threw is wickets is a news to him ? Has he watched Afridi bat before ?

Ashraf is just being ridiculous.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yep. But if it was leaked without his knowledge, at least it is understandable to an extent. Coz in private, as chairman of the board, one has the right to ask such questions.. He may not be qualified enough to decide on strategies but when he feels a wrong strategy has been adopted I think he has the right to ask them why.

But knowing how things work here in the subcontinent in cricket administration, this is probably just a case of Ashraf trying to paint the team black and himself white..

Craig

World Traveller
So therefore if an administrator of a national cricket board (eg ECB, PCB etc.) was a former Test cricketer, and a more then decent one, would that make him more qualified to air his private opinions in an e-mail, or even to demand answers on the basis he would know what he is talking about then?