cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pommie Mbangwa

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!

Pommie Mbangwa

How awesome is he when he's commentating?

One of my favourite commentators from the younger brigade of commentators. Kind of like the Zimbabwean Michael Slater without being as over the top as Slats is at times. That being said, Michael Slater's one of my favourites too.

But I've loved Pommie's commentary in this IPL, it's always so positive and it's clear that he loves his cricket.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Yes, freshens up a pretty stale commentary lineup IMO. Loving his enthusiasm for all things cricket too, comes off as a top bloke from all the pre and post match stuff he does too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Yes, Michael Slater is a very fair comparison point. I rate Slater higher but Pommie is defnitely a very good commentator. Very articulate and puts across whatever he is saying very clearly. I would like him to give more inputs though which is where I feel that he lacks which puts him a bit below the toppest level. Still excellent though. His voice is among the best though (this is a very subjective opinion which not all might agree with but according to me at least). Very smooth and silky.
    Last edited by Pratters; 06-05-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Pommie Mbangwa doesn't come across as irritating (or completely neurotic) at all...unlike Slater, IMO.

His record, FWIW, indicates that he was a decent Test bowler (but a laughable ODI bowler).

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Pommie is good. Very articulate and interesting. He has surprised me with his commentary. I did not expect him to be so good. He makes Sivaramakrishnan look ridiculously stuck up too

He really is quite excellent. He is also an extremely nice bloke who replies to emails and facebook messages if you send them to him. He is without any shadow of a doubt the best commentator Zimbabwe have produced. In fact I would go so far as to say he is the best commentator in Southern Africa. He also goes to show you don't have to be a top-class international cricketer to know what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    He really is quite excellent. He is also an extremely nice bloke who replies to emails and facebook messages if you send them to him. He is without any shadow of a doubt the best commentator Zimbabwe have produced. In fact I would go so far as to say he is the best commentator in Southern Africa. He also goes to show you don't have to be a top-class international cricketer to know what is going on.
    Facebook Stalker !!

Just Kidding he's cool

Pommie is really good (think I was one of the first that called that on here, can't remember), but I think that'll only last while he is new and after a few years the things he has going for him might no longer be there. Or not.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Banned
    if pommie is the one with the dreadlocks, yea hes alrite.

i have no opinion on all the others, they sound exactly the same to me, not particularly interesting either.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Personally I've always liked Sivaramakrishnan too TBH. He and Slater, and Nasser Hussain too, are a few of the decent "recent" additions to commentary teams IMO.

Interesting to see the Mbangwa-love here, actually - I'd never really given him a moment's thought. He's just "been there". Certainly an obvious sign that he's not a poor commentator, but I'll have to give it some more thought next time I listen to him on a Test or ODI.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Never watched an IPL game but saw a lot of him in SA.

He is well spoken without being pompous and enthusiastic without going overboard.

I like him and think he does a good job.

He isnt at that top level yet as he doesnt quite have the authority or presence of the guys who were top players or journos but he may get there one day.

What Ive seen so far is pretty good.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Personally I've always liked Sivaramakrishnan too TBH. He and Slater, and Nasser Hussain too, are a few of the decent "recent" additions to commentary teams IMO.

Interesting to see the Mbangwa-love here, actually - I'd never really given him a moment's thought. He's just "been there". Certainly an obvious sign that he's not a poor commentator, but I'll have to give it some more thought next time I listen to him on a Test or ODI.
    His initial impression is a cultural shock. He is so much a youngster in spirit and his obvious enjoyment of the moment and life in general comes as a big change from the more staid attitudes one is used to. After you have got over that, hopefully without feeling that some sacred space has been sullied, you will like him.

flyplane Champion! Alien Invasion Champion! Bubble Trouble Champion!
    Enjoy his commentary, enthusiastic and has a lovely voice, especially amongst all the South African accents when he commentates domestically.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!

Pommie is awesome Richard, you must watch some more IPL games. He's truly been fantastic behind the microphone this tournament. That being said, he's always pretty good. Agreed about Slater and Hussain, I'm big fans of both of them. Could listen to Nasser, Slater and Pommie for hours. Add Harsha Bhogle, Ian Chappell and Jonathan Agnew in there and I wouldn't need any other commentator.

Personally I've always liked Sivaramakrishnan too TBH.
    I think(only speculating) that most people's problems with him are his not so pleasing to the ears voice, because once I got over that and listened to what he had to say he wasn't that bad. Especially good when he's analysing spinners. Surprised he didn't turn out a better player than his record shows because he sounds smart enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information