• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ambrose Vs Mcgrath?

Whoz the best?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But then there is the unresponsive pitch factor too, and as good as Ambrose was how many bowlers have signed off from international cricket on as big a high as being declared the player-of-the-tournament of a World cup.
Was under the impression (as I almost always am) that the question was solely about Tests TBH so the World Cup isn't relevant.

The pitch factor is important of course - but my previous post didn't mention that. I was talking only about what you said with regards to how the two lasted into cricketing middle-age - and in that, as so much else, they were both equally superb.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I've said before on this topic, at the peak of their wicket-taking powers, Amby was a more destructive bowler. Amby when he had the smell of blood was a fearsome and relentless sight. So if I could pick one of them in-form, I'd go for Amby. But overall career, all-wicket ability, etc. McGrath just shades him for mine. McGrath was threatening even near the end of his career whereas Amby had periods where he was very unthreatening.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If the pitch offered even a little uneven bounce, Amby was unstoppable. Overall though, McGrath was better. More consistent, and could do anything. Biggest reason for Australia's dominance.

slowfinger

International Debutant
No one does yorkers like Curtly do, but also, Curtly is accurate at a more deadly pace, Mcgrath, little slow, big wickets and BIG accuracy and can find a way to bowl at nearly every surface (except wet) :mellow:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm going for Mcgrath. Statistically cannot separate them but enjoyed watching Mcgrath's bowling more.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea from my memory even though i probably started watching Ambi when he wasn't @ his fastest vs ENG in 98 he never was unthreatening. But i would say in his last series here in 2000 his wicket-taking ability after the Lord's test had begun to deteriorate a bit & was just very accurate for the remainder of that series. If he had gone to AUS in late 2000 or played on to the 2001 home series vs SA he could have had an unfortunate farewell like Donald did.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
McGrath, but not by much! Curtly was a great bowler, but I think that McGrath has got to be the most consistent bowler over a long period of time I have ever seen..

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Besides, it is a fallacy to suggest that Mcgrath had no other skill except being accurate.
Exactly. Rather large fallacy that one too.

As for when Ambi was less than effective, against the Aussies, the first couple of Tests on wickets which were good for pace of even the 1992/93 series comes to mind. Only really bowled well in the one Test in 1995, same with 1996/97 and 1998/99. My over-riding memory was of Ambrose being somewhat disinterested in proceedings, dominating the one Test in the series which was on a green-top in taking a haul at very cheap cost and then bowling economically but lacking penetration for the rest of the series. Against the Aussies in the 90's, his series' averages flatter him a bit due to that one Test he'd dominate. An example was the 1995 series against the Aussies; he took 13 wickets in a 4 Test series but took 9 of those on one of the greenest, nastiest pitches imaginable. That's 4 for the rest of the series.

McGrath could always be relied upon to take a wicket or two on the flattest of pitches and, in fact there was a big deal made of when he failed to take a wicket in an inning in Adelaide against England because it hadn't happened for so long. But in mid and late in his career, Amby tended to do well late in a series when it had been lost already and even then, only when there was a bit in the deck.

Last edited: