View Poll Results: Who is the better batsman?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ricky Ponting

9 14.75%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

49 80.33%
  • Mike Atherton

3 4.92%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Ponting v Sachin Tendulkar

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!

Ricky Ponting v Sachin Tendulkar

The title says it all tbh, this was prompted by some of the discussion in the Richards V Tendulkar thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    14, 13, 18, 2, 60, 9, 16, 0, 6, 0, 0, 11, 11, 12
    -*cough*

I think he might very well turn this around later in the year, but until he does...eight tests over eight years with only one score over 20 is a bit of a trend.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 11-04-2008 at 09:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

And Ponting has been so good everywhere else and against everyone that I think he is clearly the best batsman since the turn of the century, so I just wanted to get that out there - better than Kallis, Dravid, and the rest of the people who have also been very good. In fact, I think he might very well be much better than everyone else this decade.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Pretty much the same deal with the Lara poll. More consistent and better overall record.
    ★★★★★

Without a doubt Tendulkar is the best out of those three. He separates himself from them in the way that he can turn a match single handed Ely with his audacious stroke play and his timing is perfect. He's a different player to Ponting; Tendulkar has opened, gone at 3 and now bats at, with each position Tendulkar's world class batting follows. Not only that but Tendulkar has managed to score runs in every part of the world. Whether on the dusty tracks of India or the green April wickets in England his run scoring has been consistently sound.
    Last edited by Isaac C; 11-04-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    This one poses an interesting question to me - are you comparing the two as batsmen at their peak, asking which man stands higher in the all-time pantheon of the game, wondering which of the two will leave a greater legacy once they've been dismissed for the final time, or simply deciding who would be first pick if they were lined up in the playground beside each other?

At present, Ricky's "India" moments hold a question mark above him, and Sachin holds more aces in the regard that he stands further apart from other Indian batsmen down the years: Gavaskar holds a candle, but no others - whilst Ricky has a number of names held up alongside (and above) him. Yet Sachin has (arguably) passed his peak whilst Ricky is playing at his own (current occasional form notwithstanding)...

Someone tell me which debate we're having, and I'll decide how I want to decide to sit on the fence.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    This one poses an interesting question to me - are you comparing the two as batsmen at their peak, asking which man stands higher in the all-time pantheon of the game, wondering which of the two will leave a greater legacy once they've been dismissed for the final time, or simply deciding who would be first pick if they were lined up in the playground beside each other?.
    Haha, I suppose we're comparing the two in terms of higher in the all time stakes.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Basically, a combination of which is the better batsman and who has acheived more.

This one poses an interesting question to me - are you comparing the two as batsmen at their peak, asking which man stands higher in the all-time pantheon of the game, wondering which of the two will leave a greater legacy once they've been dismissed for the final time, or simply deciding who would be first pick if they were lined up in the playground beside each other?

At present, Ricky's "India" moments hold a question mark above him, and Sachin holds more aces in the regard that he stands further apart from other Indian batsmen down the years: Gavaskar holds a candle, but no others - whilst Ricky has a number of names held up alongside (and above) him. Yet Sachin has (arguably) passed his peak whilst Ricky is playing at his own (current occasional form notwithstanding)...

Someone tell me which debate we're having, and I'll decide how I want to decide to sit on the fence.
    That's an interesting point Neil. I personally think about it in terms of "what they have done; what they haven't done; and what will they still do".

Yet Sachin has (arguably) passed his peak
    IMO that's not an arguable point. I think its pretty clear that he has.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I do too, but I was covering my arse in case someone wanted to attack that post by ranting about the CB Series finals hundreds instead of appreciating its philosophical beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Whilst Sachin will probably not reach the heights he did in the 90s, over the last 2 years he has shown he is out of his slump for mine. And if he continues batting this way then...really...he will be the best bar some absolute tonking from Ponting.

R_D
    Tendulkar easily.

I do too, but I was covering my arse in case someone wanted to attack that post by ranting about the CB Series finals hundreds instead of appreciating its philosophical beauty.
    Well, he has shown some flashes in the ODI game from time to time, but much less so in Tests. ODI's always came more natural to him though, I think, so he can probably do better in those even when out of form. He doesn't hide the fact that he is a child of the ODI era, getting interested in cricket (from tennis) only when India won the world cup.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I just can't help but vote for these irrelevant options...

I think Tendulkar will be remembered more fondly, prodigy etc, Ponting will end up with more tons, but who do I think is the better batsman? Or was, rather? Hmmm. If Ponting gets the runs (hehe ) in India then I think I'll go with that. The whole "never had to bat V Australia" thing will never wash with me, just look how good he's been against everyone else.

Never hated anyone so much as I did Ponting during the first couple of Tests of the last Ashes, he is marvellous
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information