• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to make Test cricket more interesting?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never have seen any good reasons why putting dust and putting sweat\saliva on a ball are any different.

Same way as I've never really seen the difference between a steroid and something WADA have decided is OK.

Good to see the use of mints (I use suncream personally) to enhance shining in a way that it's impossible to legislate against.

Indipper

State Regular
On the giving associates Test status, I dont see it. What good would it do cricket in Kenya/Ireland/Elsweyr to get hammered on a regular basis by an innings and 300+ runs? And why would the Test teams wear it? More meaningless games that clog the calendar between proper Tests and moneygrabbing exercises. Why not send some U19 side instead? Or the A-Team?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
On the giving associates Test status, I dont see it. What good would it do cricket in Kenya/Ireland/Elsweyr to get hammered on a regular basis by an innings and 300+ runs? And why would the Test teams wear it? More meaningless games that clog the calendar between proper Tests and money grabbing exercises. Why not send some U19 side instead? Or the A-Team?
Next Time i see this farcial argument I will literally walk out side a smash someone's face in out of sheer frustration!!!!:ranting:

As far as I am concerned the shortsighted people who push this argument seem to want us all to think that the moment one of these Teams is granted test status they are going to be dragged off to Australia to play in a 10 match series. FFS that has not happened and it never will!!!
Bangladesh were clearly not ready for the step up when it happened as they weren't even the best Associate out there. Sure if you pick on one these and chuck them out there at Lords or the GABBA or wherever tomorrow off course they will be out of their depth. But if you give 5 or 6 of them matches even if its only against one another of a high enough profile to actually make an impact on the cricket radar then and only then will they be on the path to maturity as cricketing nations. The Intercontinental Cup is only half a step in the right direction in that it is giving 8 more countries out there some incentive to actually increase the quality of their cricketers but as things stand the neglect the tournament gets aside from die hard supporters like myself is such that financially it is hardly worth it.

Back on topic. Is it so hard for the current powers that be to come together and agree not play the same opponent in more than say 7 ODI's and 5 Tests over a calendar year. Would than not as easily cut back on these meaningless matches. Its putting of the fans of the few countries that have made their special privilege to determine how cricket works for the rest of us, and because no one eles has the resources to play 'test' cricket its putting off potential test cricket fans of teams with potential to become test nations but were late in getting on the band wagon when it got rolling in the first place

The primary reason for allowing teams like Kenya to play Test matches would therefore not so that they can be thrashed by theAustralias and Indias of this world but so they can enjoy rivalries and competitive cricket with one anothe in a way that they just do not have the permisiion to do.

Last edited:

paddy11

Cricket Spectator
Use the rule we had one New Years holiday - if you get hit on a part of the body (such as the lower leg, the arm), you weren't allowed to use it anymore. For example, if you did get hit on the lower leg, you have to hop on the other leg.

Obviously, if you get hit on the head, you have to turn your head away from the bowler, and swing wildly.
PEGLEG !!!

ret

International Debutant
- introduce some kind of tier system

- if i had the money like the Zee Network then i would start a International Mini Test League [IMTL :p], in which teams play 1 inning test over 3 days [no 2nd innings and 4th and 5th days]

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Introduce a 4th stump.

Reward teams with victories from draws based on higher run-rate.

Ensure every fielding player a bowl (minimum 3 overs)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
ret said:
- if i had the money like the Zee Network then i would start a International Mini Test League [IMTL :p], in which teams play 1 inning test over 3 days [no 2nd innings and 4th and 5th days]
Introduce a 4th stump.

Haha, so dire. :laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Then just play ODI FFS. Leave Tests alone. The format is fine.
If you noticed, all my proposed changes involved things surrounding a Test (FC matches, larger Test series, better pitches), or the administration of it (umpiring). The format is what makes Tests what they are. No tinkering at all there. It's just about perfect.

Our goal should be to encourage and try to get as exciting and even matchups as possible (between teams as well as between bat and ball). That's all. Cricket is fine with everything else.

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
Make one single test of every series count towards a World Championship.
The visiting team picks one test, at the start of the series, as a sort of 6 day SuperTest to that end.
Make the FTP follow a 4 or 5 year cycle, and you can have a best of 3/5 series between the top 2 teams at the end of every cycle, played at select venues around the world, to crown the World Champion.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Use the rule we had one New Years holiday - if you get hit on a part of the body (such as the lower leg, the arm), you weren't allowed to use it anymore. For example, if you did get hit on the lower leg, you have to hop on the other leg.

Obviously, if you get hit on the head, you have to turn your head away from the bowler, and swing wildly.
Were Chris Martin and Murali regulars at your place?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Have a period called "turbo time"

At any time from the 20th over onwards, the fielding captain can call "turbo time". During this period, they can have two bowlers bowling at once, one from over and one from round the wicket. If the batsman is dismissed by one ball then he is out, if he is dismissed by two, then the next batsman due in is also out.

Turbo time lasts for 10 overs max, however the batting side can curtail it. If the batsmen hit three sixes between them during turbo time, the period is ended, all wickets lost inside the period are struck out and all runs scored during the period are doubled. Any batsmen that were dismissed can come back in at the fall of the next wicket, as if they had retired hurt.

This is a relatively simple idea and to be honest I don't know why it hasn't been considered before.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I finally get to 'do a Richard' :naughty:

Any delivery that hits the pad is automatically LBW.
One hand one bounce.
Six and out.
Defeats the point of calling the dismissal BEFORE WICKET

1. Bowlers (not their boards) get to chose the make of balls they want to use. For instance you could have England playing in Australia using the Dukes and Australia using the Kookaburra.
2. Double run outs in the same over.
3. Leg byes to be charged to the bowler and not extras
4. Free hit for no balls
Dude if the bowlers cannot prevent their opponents getting monstrous scores with a Kookaburra I do not think they will fare any better with a Dukes ball. The bowlers should take full responsibility for thei ineptness

Recall Bond and other decent ICL players. Extend tours yet lessen amount per year. Penalize poor over rates.

Don't let Australia play.

Whoever wins the final session wins the game. (Last goal wins style)

Oh, and dancers. Attractive ones.
Defeats the point of playing well for the other four days of the test match, and even pretty young things clelbrating a wicket/boundary would get boring in a test match by day 2 or three

Love the tier system but the second part of the idea has already been covered by ODIs and T20s and so forth...

Introduce a 4th stump.

Draws are the most uniquely special part of test matches and downgrading the quality of the bowling will not hep get results any faster.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dude if the bowlers cannot prevent their opponents getting monstrous scores with a Kookaburra I do not think they will fare any better with a Dukes ball. The bowlers should take full responsibility for thei ineptness
Nah you'd not believe how much of a difference it can make, especially when the outfield and pitch help keep the ball in good condition. Kookaburras can be pathetic balls, and the recent proliferation (SA and WI at the very least used to use Dukes until fairly recently IIRR) has not helped at all with the stupid high-scoring of recent times.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Like SS' ideas best, tbh.

And I like the tier system idea too.

Also, I would like to see ODIs go down the drain a little bit and few more tests held in their place... More T20s, More tests, less ODIs plz.....

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Like SS' ideas best, tbh.

And I like the tier system idea too.

Also, I would like to see ODIs go down the drain a little bit and few more tests held in their place... More T20s, More tests, less ODIs plz.....
Especially at the lower levels. I think ODIs and T20 cricket are being given too much precedence in spreading love of the game at the expense of real cricket. Its like expecting a trainee cook to become a gourmet chef by giving him loads of microwave meals to prepare.
In light of giving Test cricket's older more established teams fresh new impetus and competition I think its imperative that the ICC embraces multiday cricket right to the heart of helping newer nations in spreading the game instead of burning so much ernegy on circuses like the IPL.

I even did blog on it here

Matt79

Global Moderator
Andruid, the problem with your argument is that calling a match a "Test match" is not going to change its marketability or revenue raising potential one tiny little bit if the product itself hasn't changed. If you think that more people will pay to watch, or a television company would pay more to carry Kenya playing Ireland because its called a "Test", I believe you'd be sadly mistaken.

Your point about associates needing more money to build good infrastructure is a fair one. However to do that, they need to actually get more people interested. The only way they are likely to do that quickly is to play one of the big teams that actually makes a profit from test cricket, eg Australia, England or India. And against those teams you're back to the Innings + 300 runs defeat within three days problem.

The best way to raise the standards for associates is a long term one - good youth programs where kids get to learn the rules and experience the fun of cricket, combined with good access to professional cricket in the media, and the presence of a few successful "trailblazers" in FC cricket in top countries. For me, I compare it to the marginal sports in Australia - interest levels vary as Aussies achieve success in the big time abroad. Harry Kewell's success in EPL got people into watching it. The success of guys like Stuart O'Grady, Baden Cook and more recently Cadel Evans has got people more interested in cycling as a sport, evidenced by the ever increasing number of Aussies in the pelaton. Mark Webber may never finish a race in Formula One, but he is what the casual Australian fan is interested in when they watch a race. The future for associates in cricket will look up when kids see someone on TV or in the paper from their neck of the woods making money and having a great time playing cricket abroad, and then are able to find an avenue through which they can attempt to emulate their hero.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I agree with most of that. The point about media exposure is really important. Cricket really isnt a sporting brand that has big penetration in the populations of Associate countries (in general). Having it available for channel flicking or press promotion of local successes would give it a growing place on the sporting landscape.

I coached Soccer in the US and it is now the biggest participation sport there. However, they will never compete at the top, top level even with all the grass roots and infrastructure unless there is a huge cultural change.

The reason being is that your 'blue chip' athletes dont play and focus on the more historically important American sports.

In general the best football players are the best cricketers, are the best rugby players, are the best basketball players. Good athletes make good sportsmen.

There are exceptions but if a sport has most of its eltie athletes taken away and playing other sports then (as bad as it sounds) you can have a massive amount of players who will never amount to much.

So the US cant attract the best athletes to play soccer instead of the more culturally prestigious sports like Football, Hockey, and basketball. Its the same issue SA has with black players. The best balck athletes mainly want to play soccer/football. And to be frank, why not? it has the glamour, the money, the community kudos and the ladies. Those that play cricket are typically not the best athletes.

This is what the associates have to address. They need to be able to attract the top athletes to the game ahead of others. Cricket for example isnt as big as football in the UK but schools and clubs exist and it is still a culturally significant sport that draws from the full cross section of talent.

It sounds harsh but it is a key (but not the only) factor. As long as cricket fails to attract the 'blue chip' athlete and relies on '2nd and 3rd teir' talent then Associates will struggle.

This is how Zim/Rhodesia was competetive despite having a very small cricket playing population. It had great coaching and cricket history in the clubs and schools and despite there being few numbers, a large proportion of the 'white' population played and the elite athletes were not lost to other sports and most were utilised. By having the bulk of the population involved the 'blue chip' athletes were playing cricket and it was an efficient system in producing, developing and indentifying talent.

I dont think total numbers are that relevant, rather the density of involvement in communities. Then the infrastructure and coaching is important.

Last edited: