• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akhtar banned for five years

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never have Osman Samiuddin's words been more true:
[India and Pakistan] are cricket's Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. One, pure monied trash, influential for no other reason than having too much of it, the other straight-up trailer trash, cricket's true basket case.
Might as well just have said "read nightprowler10's sig", it's been in there for the past 15 months. Maybe longer.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Three points to make:

1) The PCB should have thought harder about the implications of a five year ban. They lost their opportunity for proper justification after Asif-bat-gate. Banning someone for five years for comments against the board is ludicrous and they should have known that they'd be met with strong opposition.
2) Shoaib Akhtar had a good point when he stated that the state of pitches in Pakistan is abysmal. Although reverse swing caused by the abrasiveness of the surfaces is a main source of wickets for Pakistanis, an effort should have been made by the PCB to prepare fast rather than slow pitches. I understand that pitch making is not simple, but it would seem that no effort has been made; even in the domestic game. If you look to the Indian Ranji Trophies, you will see the odd 120 plays 115 game which is an effort (albeit a half baked one) to produce green pitches.
3) Yasir Arafat looks like a very good Test potential to me.

FRAZ

International Captain
Look FRAZ, why don't you give these new blokes a chance.

After all Shoaib's is a long gone stories. :ph34r:
New blokes suck ... Plain and simple ....
Will you ever see that long run up , that thrilling silence , that dangerous look in the eyes , those two wickets in two balls of the greatest batsmen on a baked up batting friendly Kolkata wicket ?
Those stories from the good for nothing journalists , those offers from the Bollywood directors ? Those humanitarian works etc ?
Naive and ugly i.e. PCB . I surly am racist towards them !!!!!! ****ed up brown human wannabe species !!!!!!!

Craig

World Traveller
Since he is banned from playing cricket in or for Pakistan, does that he could pay cricket in any other country (like County Cricket or in Australia or South Africa for example) then?

FRAZ

International Captain
Since he is banned from playing cricket in or for Pakistan, does that he could pay cricket in any other country (like County Cricket or in Australia or South Africa for example) then?
Mugabe gone (almost) .. I want Shoaib to go there now and tell the world that YES one man can win a match single handedly !

Fusion

Global Moderator
I would suppose that would be up to each country's rules. For instance, IPL just stated that he can't play for them until the ban is over or lifted. We also know that English counties require a permit from the home country's board to allow players to play for them. Therefore, Shoaib's options are going to be very limited if this ban is not overturned.

Fusion

Global Moderator
From Pakistani newspaper Dawn:

Cricket- Imran Khan demands sacking of PCB after Akhtar ban ISLAMABAD, April 3 (AFP): Former captain Imran Khan called Thursday on the new Pakistani government to disband the country's cricket board after it banned fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar for five years. The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Tuesday banned Akhtar for repeatedly breaching the players' code of conduct, culminating in a public outburst in January against the board for not giving him a central contract. “The tragic incident of banning Akhtar reflects how undemocratically cricket is run in this country and I think this is an ideal time for the new government to fix it,” Khan told AFP. The PCB's patron is President Musharraf, who is also responsible for selecting the chief of the board, currently Nasim Ashraf. “Musharraf has made Pakistan a banana republic and his appointed chairman of the PCB has made the cricket board a sort of banana republic,” said Khan. He said Akhtar has a lot to offer to Pakistan cricket. “A fit Akhtar is still head and shoulders above other Pakistani bowlers and he still has a lot of cricket left in him if he keeps himself fit,” said Khan, who now heads his political party, Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaaf. (Posted @ 12:50 PST)

I find it hilarious that Imran, the most dictator-like Captain that Pakistan ever had, is criticizing the board for being undemocratic. I know Imran has a political beef against Musharraf, but to criticize the board because of him is the height of hypocrisy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
From Pakistani newspaper Dawn:

Cricket- Imran Khan demands sacking of PCB after Akhtar ban ISLAMABAD, April 3 (AFP): Former captain Imran Khan called Thursday on the new Pakistani government to disband the country's cricket board after it banned fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar for five years. The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Tuesday banned Akhtar for repeatedly breaching the players' code of conduct, culminating in a public outburst in January against the board for not giving him a central contract. “The tragic incident of banning Akhtar reflects how undemocratically cricket is run in this country and I think this is an ideal time for the new government to fix it,” Khan told AFP. The PCB's patron is President Musharraf, who is also responsible for selecting the chief of the board, currently Nasim Ashraf. “Musharraf has made Pakistan a banana republic and his appointed chairman of the PCB has made the cricket board a sort of banana republic,” said Khan. He said Akhtar has a lot to offer to Pakistan cricket. “A fit Akhtar is still head and shoulders above other Pakistani bowlers and he still has a lot of cricket left in him if he keeps himself fit,” said Khan, who now heads his political party, Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaaf. (Posted @ 12:50 PST)

I find it hilarious that Imran, the most dictator-like Captain that Pakistan ever had, is criticizing the board for being undemocratic. I know Imran has a political beef against Musharraf, but to criticize the board because of him is the height of hypocrisy.
And given your - not completely sans-reason, I wholly agree - musings that democracy is not neccessarily automatically better for Pakistan than dictatorship, there's a tad of irony in your post too.

Not a criticism, at all. :) But interesting.

funnygirl

State Regular
Imran had a point there .PCB should be saved from the politicians and former cricketers should be given complete authority to run .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, you've gotta hope for Shoaib's sake he wasn't just making-up random allegations vis-a-vis match-fixing!

shortpitched713

International Captain
New blokes suck ... Plain and simple ....
Will you ever see that long run up , that thrilling silence , that dangerous look in the eyes , those two wickets in two balls of the greatest batsmen on a baked up batting friendly Kolkata wicket ?
Those stories from the good for nothing journalists , those offers from the Bollywood directors ? Those humanitarian works etc ?
Naive and ugly i.e. PCB . I surly am racist towards them !!!!!! ****ed up brown human wannabe species !!!!!!!
:laugh: sigged.

Truly though, he was a unique player and I doubt we'll ever see anything like him anytime soon.