• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akhtar banned for five years

Fusion

Global Moderator
Fair enough, by all means ban him, but given testing positive for drugs has a two-year tariff, five for saying something out of turn seems disproportionate to me. It's just a bit ironic given all the decent reasons he's given the PCB to ban him this was what pushed them over the edge.

What exactly did he say, anyway? The BBC article isn't clear on that.
He criticized the PCB for only offering him a retainer contract.

I was never a Shoaib fan. Always thought he was more destructive to the team because of his shenanigans, no matter how awesome his on-field heroics. The PCB had clearly reached their boiling point with him and had wanted to get rid of him. I don't think him talking about them is worth a 5 year ban. However, the board can always say that he was on probation and was told there would be zero tolerance for any future offense. No matter how much I disliked him, this is a sad day for Pakistan cricket. An incredible talent wasted. Pakistani fans will always wonder "what if this tool had his head straight on throughout his career". He had the ability to single-handedly change the fortunes of our team, if only that was his priority.

funnygirl

State Regular
Isn't he the same guy who got banned for taking drugs ? Now what? 5 year ban for relatively a small crime . .Seriously PCB are a bunch of drama queens . I am waiting for the day this ''April fool ban '' gets uplifted . 8-).

PS : i never like d his action . Very lucky to get away with that .Each time he gets injured and gets punishment i can only say ''nature's justice ''.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Haha...not taking this news seriously.

Dr. Nasim Ashraf is expected to be sacked soon, so expect a new PCB chairman in a few days with a completley new setup and watch them overturn this ban

Xuhaib

International Coach
Hanif Abbasi, a newly-elected member of parliament, also said Akhtar's five-year ban was unjustified.

"The people who have banned him will not stay (in power) for long with the new government in," said Abbasi.

"This issue will be discussed in parliament."

Source: Reuters.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He criticized the PCB for only offering him a retainer contract.

I was never a Shoaib fan. Always thought he was more destructive to the team because of his shenanigans, no matter how awesome his on-field heroics. The PCB had clearly reached their boiling point with him and had wanted to get rid of him. I don't think him talking about them is worth a 5 year ban. However, the board can always say that he was on probation and was told there would be zero tolerance for any future offense. No matter how much I disliked him, this is a sad day for Pakistan cricket. An incredible talent wasted. Pakistani fans will always wonder "what if this tool had his head straight on throughout his career". He had the ability to single-handedly change the fortunes of our team, if only that was his priority.
Haha...not taking this news seriously.

Dr. Nasim Ashraf is expected to be sacked soon, so expect a new PCB chairman in a few days with a completley new setup and watch them overturn this ban
Completely agree with both these posts.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Shoaib will be considered a notch, maybe 2, behind his predecessor greats of Imran, Wasim and Waqar. He did have them as role models and had he applied himself similarly, the results could've been far more impressive. As it were, his massive ego got in the way, as did his minimal mind.

I for one am not sad to see him go. No player is greater than the team or the game.

haroon510

International 12th Man
this sounds stupied u know why because the pakistani cricket board knows that he will and can fight it back in the court.. so why ban him.. mark my word in a couple of monthes u will see him playing for pakistan again..he is going to fight it and win it in the court.. so the decision is pretty pointless.

My idea was to ban him for life without authority to apeal and fight it in the court.. i want shoaib akhter to be an example for the rest of the players..and the only way pakistani cricket board can do it is ban him for life without giving him the right to appeal..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PCB is an absolute joke!

As readers of this forum will know, I have no great love for the Rawalpindi Express.

Take drugs - basically a let off

Whack a team-mate with a bat - basically a let off

Criticise an official - 5 friggin' years 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Pakistan is on the podium where Most Corrupt Sporting Nations in the World are concerned

Last edited:

CrazY GirL

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hanif Abbasi, a newly-elected member of parliament, also said Akhtar's five-year ban was unjustified.

"The people who have banned him will not stay (in power) for long with the new government in," said Abbasi.

I just hope he comes back...hes our best bowler

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Shoaib Akhtar is the Andrew Symonds ("FFS, if you shot the guy he wouldn't die") of Pakistan.

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
I don't care what he's like as a person (much like Warne), but he is certainly one of the most exciting players on the field. Hope this farce is rectified and his ban overturned.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One of the most exciting on the field maybe, but one of the most disruptive off it. Pakistan cricket has always had problems with disruptive influences - Shoaib surely takes the biscuit as the most disruptive of the lot.

Warne did have his moments in that area, but he was nowhere near as bad over a career of almost comparable length (Warne 15, Shoaib 10, years) as Shoaib has been.

shortpitched713

International Captain
His status isn't going to be very clear cut for the next couple months, but if indeed he is going to receive this career ending ban then I could really care less. Will allow us to focus more on the new young core that developed in our Test attack. Asif, Gul, Arafat would actually be better for team balance as well, effectively shortening the tail without giving up a solid bowling option. Now if only we could have a Test series against Test class opposition...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I heard this, I thought he must have been boffing the chairman's Mrs to get 5 years.

Drug taking - A slap on the wrist & small ban.

Attack a teamate with a cricket bat - Reprimand & 2 year probation

Criticize the board in public - 5 year ban (effectively career ending).

Yeah a bit OTT for me
And that's the rub, isn't it? Sure he was on probation, but maybe if he'd been dealt with more harshly for his earlier indiscretions (but not OTT) it wouldn't have come to this.

Shoaib Akhtar is the Andrew Symonds ("FFS, if you shot the guy he wouldn't die") of Pakistan.
:laugh:

Xuhaib

International Coach
His status isn't going to be very clear cut for the next couple months, but if indeed he is going to receive this career ending ban then I could really care less. Will allow us to focus more on the new young core that developed in our Test attack. Asif, Gul, Arafat would actually be better for team balance as well, effectively shortening the tail without giving up a solid bowling option. Now if only we could have a Test series against Test class opposition...
TBH Sohail Khan or Wahab Riaz would be a better option then Arafat who I believe is not test class.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Odd theory that...when he's played all of one test and taken 7 wickets. :mellow:

What's the thinking behind that?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Sohail Khan looks rather good (not that unusual amongst young-ish Pakistani seamers, but they don't all turn-out bad) FWIW. Never heard of Xuhaib's other tho.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Thing that Arafat has over these two and others is that he's played in different conditions (Sussex 06 and Kent 07) and did rather well, so he should be a much more "rounded" bowler.

Wouldn't be terribly far away from being a genuine allrounder.