• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arivinda De Silva Vs Inzamam ul Haq?

Arvinda De Silva vs Inzamam ul Haq?

• Inzamam

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Arvinda

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Now the next question. How good were these players on the big day?

Finals
de Silva M-24, R-940, Avg-44.3 SR-88.1
Inzamam M-35, R-887, Avg-29.6, SR-69.0
Source

Now that will tell something about the charachter of the two players. De Silva, fed on pressure, while Inzamam got toppled.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Using same chart and argument, but with different players

Now that will tell something about the charachter of the two players. G.Kirsten, fed on pressure, while V.Richards got toppled.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Using same chart and argument, but with different players

Now that will tell something about the charachter of the two players. G.Kirsten, fed on pressure, while V.Richards got toppled.
Only time Richards was under pressure was against Chandrasekar or Imran Khan /Abdul Qadir. The standard of spinners were so low then, Richards was not under pressure usually. But Kirsten was day and day out under pressure as the best batsman of the side and with his style of play.

Then, it foolish only yo look at the averages. Strike rates also should be considered. Then it will be something like 74 vs 84.

in case of De Silva / Inzamam comparison. de Silva has a better Avg and SR both, unlike your Kirsten / Richards analogy.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aravinda...he put together a number of gutsy knocks during his career whereas Inzi simply put together his guts :happy: It doesn't surprise me that Aravinda came out on top in pressure situations...an area I feel Inzi often let himself down.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Pressure is captaincy.

Inzi captained 31 Tests averaging 52+ (for arguably the most difficult team)
Aravinda captained 6 Tests averaging 26+

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
6 Tests, especially with no continuity, means nothing really though.

Aravinda's record as captain can be put down to nothing other than coincidence. They were simply random games.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
6 Tests, especially with no continuity, means nothing really though.

Aravinda's record as captain can be put down to nothing other than coincidence. They were simply random games.
It might not say much because Aravinda's sample is too small and inconsistent but Inzamam's is pretty impressive.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Inzamam's is impressive, yes. I didn't comment on his. Aravinda's captaincy was so irregular and so small in number of occasions that it means nothing, whatsoever.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Only time Richards was under pressure was against Chandrasekar or Imran Khan /Abdul Qadir. The standard of spinners were so low then, Richards was not under pressure usually. But Kirsten was day and day out under pressure as the best batsman of the side and with his style of play.

Then, it foolish only yo look at the averages. Strike rates also should be considered. Then it will be something like 74 vs 84.

in case of De Silva / Inzamam comparison. de Silva has a better Avg and SR both, unlike your Kirsten / Richards analogy.
Lillee/Thommo in the 70's especially during that 75/76 series the windies lost 5-1?.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richards opened the batting for much of that series with Greenidge injured, so it's not entirely fair to judge him especially harshly on that series.

In any case, at the start of that series Richards was merely an above-average batsman. Only towards the end of it did he begin the first of the spells that made him appear so abnormal.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
are you seriously comparing gary kirsten and viv richards? as gutsy a player as kirsten was, they are simply not in the same league...and richards was a big-match player and has performed under pressure more than enough...

deira

Banned
Purely as batsmen, Inzamam was almost undoubtedly better, though as pointed-out he had the advantage of often having as many as 3 or 4 other good to excellent players in the side alongside him. Who knows how good Aravinda might have been had he debuted in, say, 1990 rather than 1984. I hope quite a bit better. Being a lone-ranger, which he sometimes was, could of times be a disadvantage.

Aravinda, as most people know, is my favourite batsman ever, and I've always thought that had just a few small-ish things happened differently he might have averaged 50 or so in Test-cricket. But as it was, Inzamam undoubtedly had the better career, for whatever reasons. Aravinda was the best to watch, though, by miles, better than anyone for mine, and I just can't really see a poll including him without voting for. :p

PUBLIC POLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i like desilva very much too. The thing about him was he was a true fighter and a game winner, the perfect example would be the 96 world cup semi against India, Sri Lanka were 3 wickets down yet Desilva scored a quick fire 66 of 47 balls to take the game away from indians. Inzamam on the other hand was more of a game saver rather then a winner in my opinion

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Inzy would probably be better when it comes to Tests. Aravinda, on the other hand is better in ODI's because he can bowl a bit also.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pressure is captaincy.

Inzi captained 31 Tests averaging 52+ (for arguably the most difficult team)
Aravinda captained 6 Tests averaging 26+
Right...so by that logic we can assume people who have never captained have never been under pressure.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
are you seriously comparing gary kirsten and viv richards? as gutsy a player as kirsten was, they are simply not in the same league...and richards was a big-match player and has performed under pressure more than enough...
Ask the person who brought up the argument.

I just pointed out that whenever Viv went for a big game, his team was favorite and he was the favorite. So the "real pressure knocks" are fewer than that from classy batsman from a lesser team, so Kirsten may average higher.

But Pak and SL after 1996 didn;t have daylight between them as Windies of 70s and South Africans when Kirsten played.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
"batsman averaging 40 from a lesser team is better tha that of a top team on most occasions." Will be correct in most occasions.