• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not Happy Jan

archie mac

International Coach
A near-contemporary of both Hendricks and L. Samoodien -- of whom, by the way, I know nothing other than that he hit one of only two fifties (55) against Read's team in 1891/92. Even his first name, as far as I know, is unknown. Would that he and Hendricks had Llewellyn's fortune. I have often fantasised about one of them settling down in England and becoming a prototype for Ranji.
He once wrote a letter to the then Aussie captain Clem Hill, asking him if he could write a letter stating that he had never spotted him (Llewellyn) the worse for drink during the recent SA tour of Aust (1910/11), because of a court case ( I would have to look it up to remember if it was a county or country dispute:)

neville cardus

International Debutant
Seems to be paraphrasing Mihir Bose’s Sporting Colours
According to cricketing historian Roland Bowen, he was coloured and was chosen for the 1910-11 tour of Australia, but was obliged to change in the toilets so as to escape the taunts of his white-team mates, particularly one Jimmy Sinclair.

I find that so dubious that I am tempted to dub it libel. There is any number of more likely candidates for the bigotry detailed by Mr Bowen. Does he have a source?

Sinclair was one of the few white South African players of that epoch to take any step towards reformation. It was he who, in 1903, as a member of the Wanderers Club, proposed that Indian fans be permitted entry. (As a charming side note, he was inspired in this action by a letter from one Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.)

Bowen's is the first damning word that I have seen written of this ostensibly gentle and genial soul, whom I have always set leagues apart from such churls as Milton and Tancred. Naturally, I should like to see some evidence for it.

neville cardus

International Debutant
He once wrote a letter to the then Aussie captain Clem Hill, asking him if he could write a letter stating that he had never spotted him (Llewellyn) the worse for drink during the recent SA tour of Aust (1910/11), because of a court case ( I would have to look it up to remember if it was a county or country dispute:)
I have never known a cove of "mixed breeding" not to like his tipple. :) Of all the numberless South African subgroups, the Coloureds are perhaps most like me. A lovely people, all told.

neville cardus

International Debutant
TBH I dont see the similarity with Langers. His nose may be broad but it comes to a point and his head is less round. But all that is neither here or there really. I guess its a matter of opinion.
This is the cleaned up version of the above photo.
Would probably pose more questions than give answers. Almost looks like a different person.
It is an interesting topic, though one Im sure he would be suprised was still being discussed over 100 years since his debut.
By my reckoning, the picture puts it beyond reasonable doubt. When, unaware of the debate, I first saw it, I took it for granted that this was a coloured man.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
By my reckoning, the picture puts it beyond reasonable doubt. When, unaware of the debate, I first saw it, I took it for granted that this was a coloured man.
The enhanced one is certainly more so than the original. Id still like to see contemporary news clippings or articles directly relating to it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Alas, no. I just study there.

Nope, which is odd if he is still about, as that photo appears to have been taken at the Rat & Parrot, every Rhodes student's favourite taphouse.

EDIT: Aha! Just spotted Langers's profile-thingy.
Yes, my namesake (Langers is indeed called Rich as well) was also studying in Grahamstown. He is currently back over here (he has a "second home" in Taunton) and the two of us were involved in the UK CW meetup not so long ago. He will be back in SA in due course, however, and I'm sure he knows far more about his plans thenceforth than I do.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Digressing slightly, what do we know of Hendricks's apparent successor to Maylay fast bowling throne? Plum Warner, in his tome on the M.C.C.'s 1905/06 visit, writes that, during practice one day, C.J. Nicholls, "a young Maylay with a fast left-arm action hit my middle stump nearly every other ball".

shortpitched713

International Captain
Pakistan

Nothing has ever been wrong with Pakistan cricket. :angel_not

Actually, the one thing that I can think of currently is the PCB's payment of centrally contracted players only a pittance compared to their actual market value. Doesn't even compare with the contracts of players from other Test nations, and they wonder why players are defecting to ICL/other leagues. :dry:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The enhanced one is certainly more so than the original. Id still like to see contemporary news clippings or articles directly relating to it.
I'd be surprised if they exist. That being said, maybe some of the books that TT & ret referred to on the 'SA batsmen' thread may include material relevant to Llewellyn.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I take a pontifical kind of pleasure in telling everyone that I am an undergraduate in the swish-sounding Grahamstown. iRhini just doesn't have the same aura.
I was more worried about them spending X million Rand on changing all the signage when half the township slides down the hill when we get heavy rains.. Still, if thats their priorities.. They could call it "Melbourne" for all I care if we had a nicer city to live in..

neville cardus

International Debutant
Well, former Rhodes Student.. Shall be there next week, possibly crossing enemy lines towards UPE next year.. Are you in Res then?
Nope. The second semester only starts on 31 March. Which wouldn't be all that bad were 31 March not my birthday.

Looking to bag myself a poppy at Friars one of these nights :laugh:
Best of luck. I met my present stikkie there.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I was more worried about them spending X million Rand on changing all the signage when half the township slides down the hill when we get heavy rains.. Still, if thats their priorities.. They could call it "Melbourne" for all I care if we had a nicer city to live in..
According to our odious mayoress, Ms Phumelelo Kate, we "cannot equate the transformation of our country to costs. Change must happen, and nothing is going to stop it. If it takes money to transform our country, let it be. We can't stop. We won't stop."

"Whether it costs the Makana municipality two cents or R100-million," affirms the Mail & Guardian, "the names will change [...]."

Their priorities are pretty clear.

Langeveldt

Soutie
According to our odious mayoress, Ms Phumelelo Kate, we "cannot equate the transformation of our country to costs. Change must happen, and nothing is going to stop it. If it takes money to transform our country, let it be. We can't stop. We won't stop."

"Whether it costs the Makana municipality two cents or R100-million," affirms the Mail & Guardian, "the names will change [...]."

Their priorities are pretty clear.
Taking long enough about it though.. AFAIK Pretoria is still Pretoria and they've been wrangling over that for years.. And did you hear about the town in Northern Tr.. sorry Limpopo that decided to change it's name back to Louis Trichardt? Such a palava.. Kak will fly when they start meddling with the names of the hill houses :)

Protean

State Regular
Taking long enough about it though.. AFAIK Pretoria is still Pretoria and they've been wrangling over that for years.. And did you hear about the town in Northern Tr.. sorry Limpopo that decided to change it's name back to Louis Trichardt? Such a palava.. Kak will fly when they start meddling with the names of the hill houses :)
Nah, everyone cool is calling it Tshwane these days..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, everyone cool is calling it Tshwane these days..
Well that means I never met a cool person in Pretoria.

*thinks about it*

Wow, you could be right. :laugh:

Seriously though, noone calls it Tshwane and why would they?.

Protean

State Regular
Seriously though, noone calls it Tshwane and why would they?.
Ye, it would feel weird saying the capital of South Africa is Tshwane, wouldn't it? :blink:
But I dunno, kids are probably getting taught that name in schools now, those of us who call it Pretoria might be outdated in ten years or so. :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ye, it would feel weird saying the capital of South Africa is Tshwane, wouldn't it? :blink:
But I dunno, kids are probably getting taught that name in schools now, those of us who call it Pretoria might be outdated in ten years or so. :)
Ek kom van Tshwane af doesn't quite have that same ring to it.. Nah but glad to see all the in crowd are happy with Tshwane.. I must admit, Polokwane does sound way cooler than Pietersburg as well..

And most people I speak to assume that Cape Town is the capital of SA