• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Dream Team

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
M Dhoni (wk/c)
Matthew Hayden
Chris Gayle
Lance Klusner
Andrew Symonds
Y Singh
Shahid Afridi
Daniel Vettori
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Z Khan

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm. top thread:

Gilchrist
Hayden
Bradman
Richards
Sobers
Symonds
Klusener
Imran
Warne
Garner
Murali

Back-ups: Jayasuriya/Gayle, Botham, Cairns, Marshall

slowfinger

International Debutant
Ribbish tbh, but atlest these players have played t20's.

Gilly(w)
Hayden
Gayle(c)
Jayasuriya
Symonds
Pietersen
Shahid Afridi??
Lee?
Vettori
Bond
Asif??

Kinda a decent squad imo, maybe afridi shoudnt be in but if he is on a roll or something, he REALLY hits them hard, and hes a handy spinner tbh :).

bagapath

International Captain
my last version, this time featuring players who've actually played twenty20 cricket

jayasuriya
gilchrist (wk)
ponting
tendulkar
symonds
dhoni
flintoff
y.pathan
s.pollock
warne
mcgrath

of course, i am assuming they all would be in the best of form and fitness

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I don't think putting McGrath and Pollock in the same Twenty20 team is very smart. Both are similar line bowlers. Also, I'd take Hayden or Gayle ahead of Jayasuriya and Afridi over Yusuf Pathan. Wouldn't bat Sachin in the middle-order either.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Why are people picking players that have never played Twenty20 before? Crazy.

It's especially hilarious because someone put Sunil Gavaskar in their Twenty20 and said that his team would win 9/10. Didn't old Sunny once score 36 not out in a 60 over ODI? It'd probably take more then 20 overs for Gavaskar to get his eye in. :laugh:

Any side that doesn't have Matthew Hayden or Andrew Symonds innit aren't even worth the time of day as they're easily the best 2 batsman to have played that form of the game thus far.

But if I went how you guys are going:

Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Matthew Hayden
Sir Vivian Richards
Andrew Symonds
Kevin Pietersen
Lance Klusener
Imran Khan (c)
Shahid Afridi
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Muttiah Muralitharan

Some of the selections are really mindboggling because some of them never even played limited-overs cricket to begin with.
Lol @ Kevin Pietersen in a T20 side.

Smith

Banned
Pointless thread really. I have no idea how the thread creator, with all due respect to the gentleman, could assume that Victor Trumper is a better T20 opener than say a Sehwag or a Warner. Agreed, forums are for encouraging discussions on cricket and involves hypothesizing and trying to flirt with "what ifs", but I believe such exercises have to be backed by some ounce of credible basis.

Smith

Banned
Why are people picking players that have never played Twenty20 before? Crazy.

It's especially hilarious because someone put Sunil Gavaskar in their Twenty20 and said that his team would win 9/10. Didn't old Sunny once score 36 not out in a 60 over ODI? It'd probably take more then 20 overs for Gavaskar to get his eye in. :laugh:

Any side that doesn't have Matthew Hayden or Andrew Symonds innit aren't even worth the time of day as they're easily the best 2 batsman to have played that form of the game thus far.

But if I went how you guys are going:

Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Matthew Hayden
Sir Vivian Richards
Andrew Symonds
Kevin Pietersen
Lance Klusener
Imran Khan (c)
Shahid Afridi
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Muttiah Muralitharan

Some of the selections are really mindboggling because some of them never even played limited-overs cricket to begin with.
I find it extremely amusing that not one person is there in that list from India, the reigning champions of T20.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Jayasuriya
2 Gilchrist (w)
3. Richards
4. Tendulkar
5. Lara
6. Klusener
7. Afridi
8. Wasim Akram
9. Warne
10. Murali
11. Garner

12. McGrath

bagapath

International Captain
Pointless thread really. I have no idea how the thread creator, with all due respect to the gentleman, could assume that Victor Trumper is a better T20 opener than say a Sehwag or a Warner. Agreed, forums are for encouraging discussions on cricket and involves hypothesizing and trying to flirt with "what ifs", but I believe such exercises have to be backed by some ounce of credible basis.
since you called me a gentleman i will be nice to you. and just request you to post your dream t20 team.

NOTE: trumper had a strike rate of 69.45 in test cricket, still among the very best in the world - ever. with uncovered wickets, shorter boundaries, protective gear, bouncer restrictions and field restrictions he will only hit faster and further.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Lol @ Kevin Pietersen in a T20 side.
Lol @ Dhoni being captain in your Twenty20 side. Bring on Joginder Sharma in the dying seconds of the World Cup and get lucky.

I find it extremely amusing that not one person is there in that list from India, the reigning champions of T20.
Who do you suggest then? Yuvraj Singh? RP Singh? Harbhajan Singh? I chose Gilly as my keeper, so there is no room for Dhoni. :happy:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Lol @ Dhoni being captain in your Twenty20 side. Bring on Joginder Sharma in the dying seconds of the World Cup and get lucky.

Who do you suggest then? Yuvraj Singh? RP Singh? Harbhajan Singh? I chose Gilly as my keeper, so there is no room for Dhoni. :happy:
Thats no straight answer. KP is a ******** in T20s. And there are no better captains than Dhoni in my line-up(that includes Warne).

Shri

Mr. Glass
Warne would make a better captain then Dhoni.
He is good in man-management and getting the best out of all players. He is just not that good tactically. He just set bluff field settings to confuse the batsmen. His strategy was worked out this year in the IPL.

jondavluc

State Regular
He is good in man-management and getting the best out of all players. He is just not that good tactically. He just set bluff field settings to confuse the batsmen. His strategy was worked out this year in the IPL.
I think it was more to do with the fact he lacked a lot of good players this season rather than bad tactics even the greatest captains make mistakes.To me Dhoni does very simliar things with less than impressive plans aka plain old luck .The truth is if it wasn't for Hayden I reckon the Chennai team would have struggled badly this year.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I think it was more to do with the fact he lacked a lot of good players this season rather than bad tactics even the greatest captains make mistakes.To me Dhoni does very simliar things with less than impressive plans aka plain old luck .The truth is if it wasn't for Hayden I reckon the Chennai team would have struggled badly this year.

Hayden din't play the last couple of games. CSK still posted 188 in one of those games. I agree that they depend a lot on Hayden, but they wouldn't be crippled if he left either. They would still give their opponents a run for their money. And CSK won their last game without Hayden. Dhoni's field settings when the spinners bowled were excellent and he got the best out of his spinners. I feel that he is a better captain in the field than Warne. But I dont think we should be reading too much into it tbh. A captain is only as good as his team.:)

jondavluc

State Regular
Hayden din't play the last couple of games. CSK still posted 188 in one of those games. I agree that they depend a lot on Hayden, but they wouldn't be crippled if he left either. They would still give their opponents a run for their money. And CSK won their last game without Hayden. Dhoni's field settings when the spinners bowled were excellent and he got the best out of his spinners. I feel that he is a better captain in the field than Warne. But I dont think we should be reading too much into it tbh. A captain is only as good as his team.:)
:) Fair enough.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Dhoni lets the game drift when things don't go his way. Warne tries things.