• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 Dream Team

Precambrian

Banned
1. Sachin Tendulkar (Jus think pre-99 , and read what Warne says in my sig below)
2. Adam Gilchrist
3. Viv Richards
4 Gary Sobers
5 Keith Miller
6 Imran Khan
7 Ian Botham
8 Kapil Dev
9 Shane Warne
10 Glen McGrath
11 Curtly Ambrose

Beat that!

bagapath

International Captain
a year and two IPLs later i want to add a new post to this thread armed with newly gained knowledge of the twenty 20 game. using only the players i've seen, my twenty 20 dream team would be:

jayasuriya
gilchrist (wk)
richards
tendulkar
symonds
dhoni
imran
kapil dev
afridi
akram
warne

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
This is tough. I'd say (atm- subject to change at any minute. Lol)

Gilchrist (WK)
Tendulkar
V.Richards
Pietersen
Inzamam
Botham
Rhodes (purely because he's the best fielder I've ever seen and would stop a number of runs)
Warne (C)
Wasim
Waqar
Garner

Shri

Mr. Glass
Matthew Hayden
Adam Gilchrist (Wk)
Viv Richards
MS Dhoni (C)
Andrew Symonds
Gary Sobers (3)
Lance Klusener (6)
Shane Warne (5)
Wasim Akram (1)
Daniel Vettori (4)
Glenn McGrath (2)

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Adam Gilchrist
Keith Miller
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Ian Botham
Andrew Symonds
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Clarrie Grimmett
Waqar Younis

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Gilly
Hayden
Viv
Symonds
Yuvraj
Cairns
Jonty
Klusner
Akram
Hadlee
Marshall

All from my era so I know that those who didn't play 20-20 would still be suited. Strong in hitting power, batting depth, bowling strikepower, bowling depth, and fielding power. Would take the pepsi challenge against any team mentioned here.

King Pietersen

International Captain
1. Matthew Hayden
2. Barry Richards
3. Sir Vivian Richards *
4. Andrew Symonds
5. Sir Garfield Sobers
6. MS Dhoni +
7. Imran Khan
8. Kapil Dev
9. Ian Botham
10. Shane Warne
11. Malcolm Marshall

Heck of a team that. Probably do a decent job in all forms of the game tbh.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think don bradman would be agressive enough... he only hit one 6 in international cricket. I mean i love and respect the guy and hes great beyond belief.. but there is no real way we know if he would have played hyper type cricket like 20/20 well.
Bradman did not hit sixes (not many anyway) not because he couldn't but because he chose not to. He didn't need to. Not hitting sixes did not stop him from scoring runs at an unbelievable pace. Just to refresh your memory he scored a triple century in a Test in a day going past hundred by lunch, past 200 by tea and crossing the triple before close.

To say that he 'couldn't' hit sixes is bad enough to say he wasn't 'aggressive enough' is ludicrous.

By the way, just as an aside, in 1931 a match was arranged to Test an experimental surface in New South Wales. Bradman was batting for quite sometime and then he walked down to Wendell Bill (his batting partner) and said ‘I think I’ll have a go’.
Over the next three overs his scoring shots were;

1st Over; 66424461 (33)
2nd Over 64466464 (40)
3rd Over 16611446 (27) & 2 to Wendell Bill.

Wendell Bill scored singles on the first & fifth balls of the 3rd Over. At the time 8-ball overs were the convention.

Overall in that innings Bradman hit 14 sixes and 29 boundaries.

Of course, it was a local match and the bowling wasn't world class but just to show that it wasn't that he couldn't hit in the air, he just decided very early that it made no sense to do so when he could score so fast with ground shots.

When young Harvey, on his first Ashes tour to England sent a message to his legendary captain asking for a word of advice, Bradman told the messenger, "tell him if he does not hit the ball in the air he will never be caught and thats the most likely way of getting out" or words to that effect.

Not all of Bradman's Test innings have balls faced attributed to them but most have. These 5743 runs were scored at 58.6 per 100 balls. This despite slowing down considerably in his last series after the war when he was in his 40th year. Before that he easily managed over 60 per 100 balls and remember the only innings for which information is not available are the one's against the South Africans and the West Indians whom he fairly slaughtered.

Compare that with Hayden's 60.11 and you realise that this man was no slouch as far as aggression is concerned.

Besides, he was one of the greatest runners between the wicket the game has seen and of course his skills at placing the balls between smallest of gaps in the field are legendary.

The only thing we can say as far as Bradman is concerned that if he was exposed to this format, he would have been a champion in it as he was at anything he put his mind to.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
and remember the only innings for which information is not available are the one's against the South Africans and the West Indians whom he fairly slaughtered.
In those two consecutive series against South Africans and the West Indians, Bradman scored five hundreds >We do not know the balls faced but have a look at the minutes !!

• 226 in 4 1/2 hrs
  • 112 in 2 1/2 hrs
  • 299 not out in 6 1/2 hrs
  • 223 in 5 hrs
  • 152 in 2 1/2 hrs
I would say that looks a bit aggressive, dont you :)

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Why are people picking players that have never played Twenty20 before? Crazy.

It's especially hilarious because someone put Sunil Gavaskar in their Twenty20 and said that his team would win 9/10. Didn't old Sunny once score 36 not out in a 60 over ODI? It'd probably take more then 20 overs for Gavaskar to get his eye in. :laugh:

Any side that doesn't have Matthew Hayden or Andrew Symonds innit aren't even worth the time of day as they're easily the best 2 batsman to have played that form of the game thus far.

But if I went how you guys are going:

Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Matthew Hayden
Sir Vivian Richards
Andrew Symonds
Kevin Pietersen
Lance Klusener
Imran Khan (c)
Shahid Afridi
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Muttiah Muralitharan

Some of the selections are really mindboggling because some of them never even played limited-overs cricket to begin with.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Why are people picking players that have never played Twenty20 before? Crazy.

It's especially hilarious because someone put Sunil Gavaskar in their Twenty20 and said that his team would win 9/10. Didn't old Sunny once score 36 not out in a 60 over ODI? It'd probably take more then 20 overs for Gavaskar to get his eye in. :laugh:

Any side that doesn't have Matthew Hayden or Andrew Symonds innit aren't even worth the time of day as they're easily the best 2 batsman to have played that form of the game thus far.

But if I went how you guys are going:

Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Matthew Hayden
Sir Vivian Richards
Andrew Symonds
Kevin Pietersen
Lance Klusener
Imran Khan (c)
Shahid Afridi
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Muttiah Muralitharan

Some of the selections are really mindboggling because some of them never even played limited-overs cricket to begin with.
:laugh:. I realize that selecting Viv is realistic because he was very aggressive and striked at 90 in ODI cricket, but after the first line of your post, it makes you look like an idiot.