• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden calls Harbhajan an obnoxious weed

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
There is absolutely NO Cricketing skills involved in the 20/20 farce.It's tipsy run and slog No science to the game at all.
Clearly never watched or played a Twenty20 game properly then have you. Different types of skills required for each format really. Doesn't mean the skills required for Twenty20 aren't cricket skills.

JBMAC

State Captain
That's an opinion you're expressing there mate. Not a fact, seeing as though plenty who've played T20 would disagree with you there.
Sunshine, I have played more Cricket than you've had hot dinners...I started playing in1947 and continued until I was 42 and still playing Grade in Brisbane having repped for my State and selected as a tourist of an Aussie second eleven that toured New Zealand.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Funny thing about racism and racist comment..... Indian public have given hero's welcome to the likes of Lara and Richards and yet when one guy with those origins who plays for Australia and who does act like an ape gets called a "monkey", it is racism???

As I said, totally different to when Lehmann referred to the whole Lankan team as something extremely offensive AND racist.....

I agree it CAN be considered a racist comment and therefore should be banned, but to suggest and actually prove that it was intended to be racist would be a big big leap.
Sorry, but that's just splitting hairs. It would be like someone trying to defend Lehmann by saying that his intent was just to call the Sri Lankans "c-bombs", and that the word "black" was just a factual descriptor- therefore what he said was offensive, but not racial villification. Any reasonable person would be aware that the phrase would be taken as being racially offensive, and so the words WERE racially offensive. Just as anyone with even a passing knowledge of the recent months events would know that Symonds (and, for that matter, any person of Afro-Caribbean descent) would consider that phrase to be racially offensive, therefore it is.

But, Harbhajan wasn't proved to have used that phrase, so the point is moot.

This has been debated (and I use the term VERY loosely) here ad nauseum. I have no interest in doing so again. We disagree- let's leave it at that.

speedy

Cricket Spectator
20/20 does involve skill otherwise we would all be playing international cricket. Its as simple as that. Even to 'slog' a ball one has to concentrate hard to read the delivery as in where it will pitch/speed/swing. Then he has to chose which shot to play in a matter of milliseconds (more instinct) and then time it to perfection. Now imagine having to do that for every ball you face. Its not like in odi/test where you can defend a ball. You have to get runs of every ball and therefore you have to play more skilful shots.

I like test matches because of the tactics and drama involved in each of its five days (unless its Aus v Zim :laugh: ) but for pure entertainment value of 2-3 hours you can't beat 20twenty.

And in a world of supply and demand, there is demand of lots of 20/20 matches so I can only see 20/20 becoming more mainstream.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sunshine, I have played more Cricket than you've had hot dinners...I started playing in1947 and continued until I was 42 and still playing Grade in Brisbane having repped for my State and selected as a tourist of an Aussie second eleven that toured New Zealand.
He asked if you played Twenty20 not, FC cricket.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
*removed*

Last edited by a moderator:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The Aussies have been this way in their domination streak, abusing and deriding teams in the name of trying to win games. I remember the test versus Sri Lanka where a catch versus Sri Lanka which touched the ground was claimed by the fielder and when the umpire didn't give it out, they started arguing with the umpire. Now I don't know whether the Aussie fielders knew whether it touched the ground or not when they appealed for catches during the summer. They may have been dobbers (one of the poorer things to do) or they may not have been. One thing is for sure, they are dire in the way they keep arguing with the umpires.

India is a different team compared to other nations who take it lying down. When England trid to act smart by throwing jelly beans, they were put in their places by Zaheer Khan and India. I was mentioning how this tour might get ugly before the series started. If the Aussies thought that they could abuse the Indians and they would take it lying down like the predecessers, they were seriously mistaken. Good onya Ishant for pointing Symonds to the pavilion.

These ugly tactics by the Australians, whether it be complaining to match referees or abusing cricketers from the opponent team in the media just shows that the Australians are having to take their 'gamesmanship' to another level because a team is not being intimidated by their usual tactics. Sangakarra, in his recent interview with Bhogle said that things are fine when the players keep it within the boundary ropes and can go for a drinks after the game.

The Aussies have obviously forgotten their much talked about mantra of what goes on in the field stays on the field as things are not working in the abuse department in the field by them. What Sangakarra said in the interview without naming teams and what I said a while back on the forum - some teams can give it but can't take it seems very apt here.

When it is all said and done, and we look back at the great sports teams people will remember the Chicago Bulls for the magic of Jordan, the Brazilian football team for the flare and the Australian cricket team (not that they compare to the Bulls or Brazil) for being obnoxious weeds.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
All you knockers of the aussies must remember this.....

The Aussies are NUMBER 1 in ALL forms of the game played. and while trying to remain unbiased and objective I feel this whole bloody tour by India has been a farce with India NOT being competitive on the pitch and they have deliberately set out to knock "The Tall Poppy" syndrome out of the Aussies and it has not worked...The sooner they go home the better!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a surprising comment. Which team has been more competitive in Australia, than India?

Perm

Would there have been the same amount of outcry if Harbhajan called Ponting or Jaques or any of the others a monkey? No.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
When did Australia report Ishant & Dhoni (serious question?)
There were reports in the Indian tv channels about the same. I am not sure though. I will remove that line till I verify it. The point of things in the cricket field staying in the cricket field is larger though.

Last edited:

Johnners

If they were talking about the Symonds send-off re: Ishant being reported, it's BS to my knowledge, that was the umpires.