• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in the West Indies

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Fixtures

March 2008
Mon 17 - Wed 19 TBC v Sri Lankans
Bourda, Georgetown, Guyana

Sat 22 - Wed 26
10:00 local, 14:00 GMT 1st Test - West Indies v Sri Lanka
Providence Stadium, Guyana

Sat 29 - Mon 31 TBC v Sri Lankans
Sir Frank Worrell Memorial Ground, St Augustine, Trinidad

April 2008
Thu 3 - Mon 7
10:00 local, 14:00 GMT 2nd Test - West Indies v Sri Lanka
Queen's Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad

Thu 10
09:30 local, 13:30 GMT 1st ODI - West Indies v Sri Lanka

Sat 12
09:30 local, 13:30 GMT 2nd ODI - West Indies v Sri Lanka

Tue 15
14:30 local, 18:30 GMT 3rd ODI - West Indies v Sri Lanka
Beausejour Cricket Ground, Gros Islet, St Lucia

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka Test squad:
Mahela Jayawardene (Capt), Kumar Sangakkara, Michael Vandort, Malinda Warnapura, Chamara Silva, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Thilan Samaraweera, Prasanna Jayawardene, Chaminda Vaas, Muttiah Muralitharan, Lasith Malinga, Thilan Thushara, Ishara Amarasinghe, Rangana Herath, Farveez Maharoof

So gun Thushara gets a run in Test side. Time to change my avatar again. Mahela Udawatta gets it after he recent domestic performances. So hope he gets a run in ODI squad, as it looks like Upul Tharanga is really out of favour now.

On the overall squad I'm happy to see Amarasinghe, Thushara and Malinga all in the squad together. I reckon that trio with a fully fit Dilhara Fernando has some potential. Herath deserves his recall, but i looks like Bandara is also really out of favour. Silva going to really have to step up soon, or Samaraweera might finish the Test series in his spot. Good to see Warnapura get another chance. Mind you I rather Parnivithana(sp) or Udawatta get a chance. But probably deserved the first shot.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And they're in and out of the squads like a toy purchased from an adult store.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Should be too hard to keep track of. Most domestic sides only have 2-3 players that perform each match. Only need to remember about 10 names, the rest of players are dire.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Should be a good series. Samuels and Murali the top performers. Will be interesting to see how Sarwan goes and the captaincy issue.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
SL at it's lowest is much stronger than WI. SL have a brittle batting line up, but one good innigs from Sanga and Mahela will give them a good score to ball against WIndies. With the form that SL bowlers are in (except Murali, who is in a bad patch) WIndies batsman are in for a real testing series. SL bowlers are so different to each other, swing bowlers, slingers, fast bowlers and seam bowlers, you have evry variety.

roseboy64

WI have those types of bowlers too ya know. Collins swings it. Edwards is a slinger. Taylor's a fast bowler. And I'm pretty sure Sammy can be considered a seam bowler. 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Best Windies XI i think:

Gayle
Ganga/Chattergoon - depening if the selectors are willing to give Ganga one more chance
Sarwan
Samuels
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Browne - would pick him over Ramdin ATM
Sammy
Taylor
Powell
Edwards

Lostman

State Captain
Jason predicts that SL are going to be beaten 1-0 or 2-0, so this only means that
SL are goingt to crush the WI in both tests by an innings margin, and go on to win their first series in the WI. :laugh:

This logic has been nearly unbeatable for at least the last 3 years.

P.S- I dont think SL has beaten the West Indies in a test in the West Indies.

Woodster

International Captain
Best Windies XI i think:

Gayle
Ganga/Chattergoon - depening if the selectors are willing to give Ganga one more chance
Sarwan
Samuels
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Sammy
Taylor
Powell
Edwards
Yes, would probably stick with Ganga for now, and would bat Chanderpaul at four, Samuels at five.

Ramdin still edges it for me. Depeneding on pitches, I may also consider an extra batsman and move Bravo to seven. Just a thought. My experiment side may look a little like this :

1. Gayle
2. Ganga
3. Sarwan
4. Chanderpaul
5. Samuels
6. Hinds R, Morton, etc
7. Bravo
8. Ramdin
9. Taylor
10. Powell
11. Edwards

Think this gives the side a much deeper batting depth, while can still boast a bowling attack of Powell, Taylor, Edwards, Bravo, Gayle, Hinds (possibly).

JBH001

International Regular
Jason predicts that SL are going to be beaten 1-0 or 2-0, so this only means that
SL are goingt to crush the WI in both tests by an innings margin, and go on to win their first series in the WI. :laugh:

This logic has been nearly unbeatable for at least the last 3 years.

P.S- I dont think SL has beaten the West Indies in a test in the West Indies.
Jason, has always been a bit of a doom and gloom merchant.

Although, I do have to say, from observing the CB series, this SL team looks tired.

SL should still win the series, at least 1 - 0, but I do hope we take a good crop of youngsters across and blood them in this series, even if it means that WI increase their chances of winning as a result. Also I think WI will be more competitive than some might think, although this hinges on if Gayle reassumes the captaincy.

Finally, why a 2 test series? Makes no sense at all, I find that so effin annoying.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Best Windies XI i think:

Gayle
Sarwan
Samuels
Chanderpaul
Bravo
Sammy
Taylor
Powell
Edwards
I would make a few amendments, Mohammed in for Sammy, Ramdin over Browne, Chanderpaul to bat at four, Samuels at five and finally either Powell or Edwards to be dropped for Collins.

roseboy64

The first Test is on the 22nd while the penultimate FC match before the Finals ends on the 17th. A clearer idea should be formed by then. Ryan Hinds the only real contender with the bat. Marshall the only opener. For the bowlers though are more contenders for spots. Odean Brown, Benn, Miller, Bennett, Jaggernauth, Mohammed, Collins and Lawson all have a shot IMO.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Can't imagine Lawson has any shot. Last I read he was still pelting and had lost his pace. If Collins is available and in reasonable form and fitness he should certainly play. Otherwise, it's Taylor + AN Other x2 with a spin option in there somewhere. Based on regional performances, I guess the selectors should look at Bennett and Jaggernauth.

I expect any ambitious opening batsmen in the region will call it a day if Ganga is retained. Time to move on. I guess Chattergoon is best placed to replace him at this stage.

Somebody predicted earlier in the thread that Samuels was going to be one of the players of the series, which may or may not have been tongue in cheek (as it would entail him producing back-to-back successful series, something which has proved way beyond him in the past), but I'm sure he'll be in the middle order if he's not still in hiding. Don't see why Chanderpaul - as the best batsman by far - shouldn't bat at 3, followed by Samuels, Sarwan, Bravo.

From what I saw in South Africa, Ramdin should probably hang onto the gloves, but good to see Browne pushing him.

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've been thinking about this since SL lost the ODI series against England in Sri Lanka late last year. The Australian summer has just confirmed it. The rapid decline of SL since the high of last years World Cup and tours of England and New Zealand has been stunning.

The squad for West Indies is baffling. You would think that WI tour, with it's friendly conditions and relatively weak opposition, provide an opportunity to blood some new players and rest some weary legs (ie Vaas/Murali/Dilshan). There are a few obligatory selections which I welcome (Warnapura/Thushara) but how on earth does Samaraweera a run? It's a perfect illustration of why SL is in free fall.

I can't quite work out what went wrong, though I've got plenty of ideas. But whats more worrying is the bleak future ahead. I haven't been able to follow SL domestic cricket for some time, so I'm not sure just how empty the cupboards are. What can SL cricket fans look forward to?